Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 09:00 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,028,533 times

Advertisements

Wow, such ice cream snobs here. Didn't even know that was a thing. So much negativity, especially in the beginning.

OP, this is definitely something I would try. I see ice cream as a treat, and I like the peanut butter and chocolate-y flavors and such. If I want something light and/or fruity, I opt for Italian ice or cream ice (from local places like Ralph's Ices and Rita's) or pick up sherbert, sorbet, or some gelato flavors. I'm not into fruity ice cream personally and much prefer fruity ices or sorbets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
My favorite store bought ice cream is Talenti. It's made only of few, natural ingredients. Delicious!
Not the cheapest, but I print coupons online.
My favorite Talenti flavor is the Mediterranean Mint. It tastes so fresh and simple, like you're eating mint leaves. Ugh, so good.

BTW I grew up eating Breyer's (I'm only in my 20s so if anything has changed over the years I probably came after it, or at least my memory does) and my family still has it sometimes, and it melts. We always got their vanilla bean, and it's still my favorite ever vanilla bean ice cream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 09:02 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,478,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I absolutely love fresh peach ice cream with chunks of peach in it, but it is hard to find. It would be awesome with a raspberry swirl...sort of like peach melba. When I was pregnant fresh peach ice cream was my one craving.
Reminds me of when I lived in Europe and a relative had a peach orchard. Tree ripened peaches in the summer, and I made some homemade peach ice cream in the Donvier ice cream maker. I have never had anything as peachy intense delish since. Wow that was a special dinner party.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
Well I live in America too and I agree with acrtic_gardener. It isn't about the flavors, but what is in the ice cream and what it's made out of. Why shouldn't we, as Americans, expect to be able to go to our local grocer and get fresh fruit and ingredients in our ice cream??? Sounds like you are an advocate for the chemical masquerading as ice cream, and that is not "American", that is just unhealthy.
If there's a large enough market for it, someone will begin offering it.

Or hey, YOU could start your own ice cream business! Or just learn how to make your own (it's not very difficult).

Not sure where you live but I live in a smallish metro of about 200,000 people in Texas and I can go to my local grocer and get fresh fruit and ingredients for totally organic ice cream. These really aren't rarities in most cities.

We have freshly made gelato as well - not that I particularly care for it but I guess enough people like it to keep the place in business. Good for them!

Old 06-25-2016, 09:42 PM

37,713 posts, read 46,140,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I absolutely love fresh peach ice cream with chunks of peach in it, but it is hard to find. It would be awesome with a raspberry swirl...sort of like peach melba. When I was pregnant fresh peach ice cream was my one craving.
My dad makes peach ice cream with fresh-picked peaches, every year. Strawberry ice cream too, at strawberry season. I can eat the peach ice cream...it's not my favorite, but I can eat it. However, every one else in our very large family LOVES his ice cream. They show up at the house when they know he made some.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:43 PM

37,713 posts, read 46,140,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Wow, such ice cream snobs here. Didn't even know that was a thing. So much negativity, especially in the beginning.

OP, this is definitely something I would try. I see ice cream as a treat, and I like the peanut butter and chocolate-y flavors and such. If I want something light and/or fruity, I opt for Italian ice or cream ice (from local places like Ralph's Ices and Rita's) or pick up sherbert, sorbet, or some gelato flavors. I'm not into fruity ice cream personally and much prefer fruity ices or sorbets.

My favorite Talenti flavor is the Mediterranean Mint. It tastes so fresh and simple, like you're eating mint leaves. Ugh, so good.
Mmmm...Talenti. Salted Caramel Gelato. THE best.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:19 AM

1,548 posts, read 915,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Gross, I'll pass, thank you very much. I never understood the fascination that North Americans have with 'heavy' ice cream flavors that are basically various permutations of chocolate, fudge, peanut butter, cookie dough, oreo, etc. I like my ice cream to be light and fruity. Mango, pineapple, lychee, now these are awesome ice cream flavors.
I disagree.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:51 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,920,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If there's a large enough market for it, someone will begin offering it.

Or hey, YOU could start your own ice cream business! Or just learn how to make your own (it's not very difficult).

Not sure where you live but I live in a smallish metro of about 200,000 people in Texas and I can go to my local grocer and get fresh fruit and ingredients for totally organic ice cream. These really aren't rarities in most cities.

We have freshly made gelato as well - not that I particularly care for it but I guess enough people like it to keep the place in business. Good for them!
Thank you, Katherine. Your response was probably more polite than mine would have been, given my stance as a True Believer in Capitalism.

But I will add this: Any ice cream (or any product) made with the fruit liqueurs that artic gardener wants WILL have added sugar. ALL fruit liqueurs have added sugar.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:54 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,429,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Have you ever tasted a coffee milkshake from starbucks? You can't taste the burnt flavour with all the sugar and flavourings. That's why they're so popular. If you have to drink starbucks (travelling, or meeting a friend who likes it), the best bet is the mocha latte frou frou beezlebub bonanza.
True - I really like the "mocha coco frappe" - so coffee with choco for the mocha part but they also add a shot of coconut which makes it heavenly! And soooo refreshing on a blazing hot day. I only get it a couple times in the summer so it stays a really special "treat" - not something I even have weekly. Otherwise I give Starbucks a pass - too expensive to have regularly.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:39 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,939,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

But I will add this: Any ice cream (or any product) made with the fruit liqueurs that artic gardener wants WILL have added sugar. ALL fruit liqueurs have added sugar.
What's the problem with added sugar? I don't get it. Ice cream needs sugar, otherwise it's disgusting.

Perhaps you misunderstood my earlier post about "too much sugar". "Added sugar" and "too much sugar" are two separate issues - I'm sure you know the difference. Another cultural difference between North America and Europe . Sugar is necessary in desserts, but there's no need for four cups of it in a recipe when one cup will suffice.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
What's the problem with added sugar? I don't get it. Ice cream needs sugar, otherwise it's disgusting.

Perhaps you misunderstood my earlier post about "too much sugar". "Added sugar" and "too much sugar" are two separate issues - I'm sure you know the difference. Another cultural difference between North America and Europe . Sugar is necessary in desserts, but there's no need for four cups of it in a recipe when one cup will suffice.
American desserts have "too much sugar" for YOUR preference. Yes, it's a cultural difference - and is there something wrong with that? I like European desserts just fine for the most part, but my husband can't stand most of them - would he be right in saying that they had "too little sugar?" Or would he be more correct in saying they're not sweet enough to suit his tastes?

To each his own.

By the way, I'm not sure where you live, but where I live, I can procure the ingredients to make just about whatever I want to make, with whatever flavors and amount of sugar I want to add. This includes making my own ice cream to suit my own preferences. Maybe you should give this a try.

When I'm in Europe, I don't go around turning up my nose or criticizing the desserts - some of which I consider to be pretty bland. Hey, I'm in Europe - I expect things to be different from the US and I'd be disappointed if they weren't.

And when I lived in Europe, I knew that if I wanted any decent Tex Mex food, I was going to have to figure out how to make it myself. So that's what I did. It would have been absolutely useless to complain about the marked lack of Tex Mex food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink