Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2019, 09:57 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times

Advertisements

Last night I made Chicken Piccata with brown rice, using both IPs. I also steamed broccoli florets in the micro.

Nice meal, and simple recipe for chickken breasts. But—wow, was it lemony. Next time I’ll use less than the juice of one lemon. And, I have to say browning skinkess breasts went for me as it usually does—that is, I got extremely little browning. And while the breasts were not dry, they weren’t especially flavorful.

I wonder if using boneless thighs might not work better.

The brown basmati rice was very good, and the lemon-caper sauce flavored everything on the plate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 10:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Last night I made Chicken Piccata with brown rice, using both IPs. I also steamed broccoli florets in the micro.

Nice meal, and simple recipe for chickken breasts. But—wow, was it lemony. Next time I’ll use less than the juice of one lemon. And, I have to say browning skinkess breasts went for me as it usually does—that is, I got extremely little browning. And while the breasts were not dry, they weren’t especially flavorful.

I wonder if using boneless thighs might not work better.

The brown basmati rice was very good, and the lemon-caper sauce flavored everything on the plate.
Only tried browning a couple of times; not nearly like browning the old fashion way but still does a fair job. I have no idea about trying boneless instead as we rarely do boneless any chicken except breasts and that is rare.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Only tried browning a couple of times; not nearly like browning the old fashion way but still does a fair job. I have no idea about trying boneless instead as we rarely do boneless any chicken except breasts and that is rare.
I find browning skinless chicken to be hard to do. I sprayed the inside of the pot with PAM first, and then heated oil before putting the breasts in. I was supposed to “brown” them for 3 or 4 minutes a side. I did not achieve real browning.

I prefer bone in chicken thighs, if I have a choice. But the recipe called for 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
I don't have much luck browning anything in the IP.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I’ve browned ground beef or sausage with no problem. Also, I’ve browned chuck roast.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:40 AM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've found that it's easier and faster to do the browning in a frying pan. And the frying pan, with its much higher temperature and larger surface area, does a better job.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:29 AM

747 posts, read 838,426 times
My guess is that in another year or so, the thrift stores, rummage sales and Goodwill are going to have their shelves overflowing with these things.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:46 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I find browning skinless chicken to be hard to do. I sprayed the inside of the pot with PAM first, and then heated oil before putting the breasts in. I was supposed to “brown” them for 3 or 4 minutes a side. I did not achieve real browning.

I prefer bone in chicken thighs, if I have a choice. But the recipe called for 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
I hope you are using the saute function to brown. My IP, if anything, gets too hot, more than enough heat to brown anything. If you press the same sautee button repeatedly, it will switch between less, normal and more which is low, medium and high. My IP on the saute function, even on low is very hot. All of this is done without the pressure cover. You can use a regular lid.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I hope you are using the saute function to brown. My IP, if anything, gets too hot, more than enough heat to brown anything. If you press the same sautee button repeatedly, it will switch between less, normal and more which is low, medium and high. My IP on the saute function, even on low is very hot. All of this is done without the pressure cover. You can use a regular lid.
Yes, if course I am! And I do understand how to control the sauté temp.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have successfully browned other things.

I used the medium heat to brown the chicken.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:25 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
I can't imagine a recipe where you couldn't substitute chicken thighs for breasts if that's your preference - even boneless thighs are better than chicken breasts IMO (although I agree bone-in is best)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink