Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 12:54 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times

Advertisements

Puffy or "Puff" tacos have been a big deal around here for many years. Many lay claims as to being it's inventor. It's a corn tortilla cooked in such a way that it puffs up and is filled with a ground beef mixture and lettuce, tomato, and sometimes grated cheese. Salsa in our many great Mexican Restaurants varies slightly. Many use chile pequins which add considerable heat.

Here's a blurry pic of a puff taco...

Here's a rolled enchilada plate. I here they make enchiladas more a s a stacked casserole in Cal area or NM I forget.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 12:55 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,141 times
Mexican cheeseburgers are tops.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:56 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
I had my first taco at Disneyland in 1956. Never looked back.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:38 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
That photo of enchiladas looks like the enchiladas at a standard American-style Mexican place here in California.

Stacked enchilada casserole? That's a homemade, Anglo, church potluck dish, not something you'd get at an actual Mexican restaurant.

My parents grew up in Chicago before moving to Torrance, CA in the 1950s. They had certainly never had Mexican food in the Midwest. Not so much as a tortilla. They had never even seen avocados. Being adventurous types, they embraced the new foods, and by the time I was born in the late 1960s, we had Mexican all the time.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That photo of enchiladas looks like the enchiladas at a standard American-style Mexican place here in California.

Stacked enchilada casserole? That's a homemade, Anglo, church potluck dish, not something you'd get at an actual Mexican restaurant.

My parents grew up in Chicago before moving to Torrance, CA in the 1950s. They had certainly never had Mexican food in the Midwest. Not so much as a tortilla. They had never even seen avocados. Being adventurous types, they embraced the new foods, and by the time I was born in the late 1960s, we had Mexican all the time.
Yep! I forget where the enchilada casserole was spoken of. I'd never heard of it.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:06 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
I bet large chunks of the US still don't have real Mexican style tacos available

Old 07-31-2016, 02:11 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I live in NJ. In 1978 I flew to Colorado to visit a friend who had moved there. She said they had this fast food place called Taco Bell that they loved. I didn't go, but I wasn't sure what a taco was.

In the 80s when there was the whole explosion of people trying new foods--that's when the word "pasta" came into common use, when non-Japanese Americans first heard about sushi, when Chinese restaurants began to introduce dim sum, when James Beard was still alive and had a syndicated newspaper column that opened our worlds--that's when Mexican food became a presence in the Northeast and salsa and tortilla chips became commonplace alongside potato chips and dip and companies like Ortega and El Paso marketed taco kits.

And I still have never gone to a Taco Bell! I did like tacos, though, when I still ate meat. Could still have bean tacos, I suppose.
Bean soft tacos are wonderful!! I make them with black or pinto beans (homemade is way better, obviously) and top them with sour cream or drained yogurt, chopped onion, and a squeeze of lime.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Bean soft tacos are wonderful!! I make them with black or pinto beans (homemade is way better, obviously) and top them with sour cream or drained yogurt, chopped onion, and a squeeze of lime.
Bean, cheese, and bacon!

Old 07-31-2016, 03:07 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
Our family started making and eating them around 1968 or so.

We lived in a very small town in Minnesota (pop. around 2200 at the time) and trends didn't get there very quickly. But once we tasted them, we started having them for supper every few weeks. My grandma, who lived next door and was around 80 years old at the time, took to them instantly and was always excited when it was Taco Night.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:11 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
We used to have this place here called Taco Hour that made bean tostadas. They called them Beanos. lol One of my brothers used to love them. I think it was beans, cheese, and shredded lettuce.

I have a nephew who lives in San Diego, and every time he visits, he makes it a point to go "taco shopping." I'm sure he's already covered every taco shop they have down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink