Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 07:44 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times

Advertisements

I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge. I use it when garlic is needed but not prominent in the recipe. It doesn't smell or taste great but it's OK.

When garlic IS prominent in the recipe, I use fresh. I've grown tired of using a garlic press, instead I peel the cloves, put them on a chopping board, cover them in celaphane, and mash them with a hammer. It's a little faster and more satisfying.

Garlic powder is not in my kitchen (a poor substitute).

But God how I love garlic, I like the taste and smell but love the health benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 08:31 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I had high hopes for Penzeys jarred roasted garlic, but I find that the roasted flavor makes it not as broadly useful for my purposes, which more often call for raw. They are one of the companies that now puts out freeze dried minced, but it's no cheaper than jarred minced. And a lot of Penzeys stuff is overpriced, for sure.
I stopped being a Penzey's customer when the owner started sending political messages to the customer email list. That's spam, imo (and rude as hell.)

Fresh garlic (chopped or pressed, occasionally sliced very very thinly) or garlic powder only in my kitchen. The garlic powder is GREAT on roast chicken and steaks.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:40 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
I've never used anything but fresh garlic but I recently had some that was bad - a horrible bitter taste that ruined what I was cooking - and I freaked out and bought jarred garlic to complete what I was preparing. It was weird. There were no exterior signs of anything being off with the bulbs - no sprouting or discoloring. Not too soft. I plan to avoid buying it from any Kroger stores in the future. I do not use dried.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:19 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
While I think that 'fresh' garlic is best ('fresh' being relative, some 'hardneck' varieties can be stored up to a year, if stored properly), the minced garlic in oil is the next best thing. Garlic powder is last place on my list and used only when nothing else is available. A single large clove of a Purple Stripe type, coarsely minced (takes about 1/2 a minute to do), provides a considerable amount of flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I've never used anything but fresh garlic but I recently had some that was bad - a horrible bitter taste that ruined what I was cooking - and I freaked out and bought jarred garlic to complete what I was preparing. It was weird. There were no exterior signs of anything being off with the bulbs - no sprouting or discoloring. Not too soft. I plan to avoid buying it from any Kroger stores in the future. I do not use dried.
There are many different types of garlic that provide various levels/types of flavor and/or heat. It's possible that what you had was not 'bad', but just not the type you were looking for. However, there *are* at least two diseases to which garlic is subject, which those who are not familiar may not be able to identify.

Fedco Bulbs - Catalog Search

http://www.seedsavers.org/bogatyr-organic-garlic

German Extra Hardy - Gourmet Garlic Gardens

Gourmet Garlic Gardens has a good listing if you explore the drop-downs at the top of the page (last link).

Old 10-17-2016, 10:58 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,073,867 times
[quote=nmnita;45851018]I keep a large jar of garlic powder to use when I just want to add a little garlic flavor, but it is no substitute for the real thing. The best I have found, for those who do not want to buy garlic cloves, is either, the garlic cloves already to use or the garlic you are now using, but from the box stores in the huge jars. They are not that expensive if you consider how much you are getting. The ready to use cloves, just require chopping are this the best way to go, in my opinion and they can be frozen to prevent spoiling[/QUO

They can be frozen...YAY!!

I buy fresh garlic, but don't always use it in a timely manner, so in the freezer it goes!!

Old 10-17-2016, 11:10 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
I can get fresh garlic at 30 cents a head, so even if some of it ends up going bad before I can use it, it is enormously less expensive than jarred or otherwise ready-prepared garlic. It takes seconds to peel a clove (just crush it slightly under a knife or something first) and chop it up. And it usually doesn't go bad if it's kept in a cool place.

I will use garlic powder if I only want a little taste in a sauce or something.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:03 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Jarred garlic is far inferior to fresh and garlic powder/dehydrated garlic is nothing like fresh.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:53 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Garlic powder has its uses, and that'd be when I don't want to use fresh garlic.

For soups and stews in which we prefer garlic cloves, I use the Wegmans whole, peeled cloves, which I keep in the freezer.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

I will use garlic powder if I only want a little taste in a sauce or something.
I mostly dissolve garlic powder in melted butter to toss popcorn in, sometimes to drizzle on packets of grilling vegetables when I want a hint of garlic, but don't want to risk chopped cloves scorching and causing that acrid burnt taste.

My favorite thing to do with garlic is to roast it by the head and squeeze out the paste to mix into mashed potatoes, spread on bread, pizza crust, whatever.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:41 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
...There are many different types of garlic that provide various levels/types of flavor and/or heat. It's possible that what you had was not 'bad', but just not the type you were looking for. However, there *are* at least two diseases to which garlic is subject, which those who are not familiar may not be able to identify....
This was just the generic large bulb in a large chain grocery store. They only had the one kind. It was weird. I've always used fresh garlic and use it almost every day, and this has never happened before. I had to throw out an entire batch of falafel mix as well as leftover marinara sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink