Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 09:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

I've worked in preschools, taught developmentally disabled children who require much physical assistance and who have not necessarily had control over their bodily fluids. I've been in contact with students with MRSA, c. diff, you name it. I'm pretty sure anything I come into contact with at a salad bar is NBD by comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 10:13 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times
Salad Bar / Buffet talk reminds me of this MADTV classic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08F0Mw4lIdw

I do occasionally eat at salad bar (lunchtime during work day) but have turned more to buying the prepackaged special salads in the cooler section.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:42 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are health inspections and ratings for restaurants. They have to be posted where the public can see the rating card.

I haven't noticed a ratings card in supermarkets, but I would guess that the supermarket delis also have health inspections. I've never thought to look for the health inspection card in the supermarket, so maybe they are there and I haven't noticed them.
Ours all do. Village Ordinance makes it a requirement. This includes things like convenience stores. If you sell food, you get inspected. Health ratings cards can usually be found on the wall behind the service desk (at least around here) or near the front door.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:22 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Salad Bar / Buffet talk reminds me of this MADTV classic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08F0Mw4lIdw

I do occasionally eat at salad bar (lunchtime during work day) but have turned more to buying the prepackaged special salads in the cooler section.
LOL, hilarious video! I'm sorry to report, but I DID actually end up getting sick. Not a stomach bug, but I'm currently sneezing and I have a runny nose. Coincidence or not?

Old 01-21-2017, 04:11 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,776,168 times
Accommodation Ideas

PSA.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:13 AM

The Hepatitis A virus can be transmitted through food; no other type of hepatitis can "be transmitted through the food supply. Hepatitis A has an incubation period of approximately 28 days and while most individuals infected begin recovery within three weeks, some may have recurring symptoms for up to six months. Symptoms include fatigue, nausea, jaundice, fever & abdominal pain. There is currently no treatment for HAV, but it can be prevented with the Hepatitis A vaccine. Good proper hygiene and sanitation help prevent Hepatitis A (Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 2011)."

The important info from above link.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:14 AM

Causes and Prevention of Foodborne Illness

More info

Old 01-21-2017, 05:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
LOL, hilarious video! I'm sorry to report, but I DID actually end up getting sick. Not a stomach bug, but I'm currently sneezing and I have a runny nose. Coincidence or not?
I seriously doubt you got sick due to the salad bar except that someone who had been shopping there may have had a cold. This is the cold season we all know. If you had eaten in a restaurant the same germs would have been there. We all have our own take on the salad bar issues. For some, like you, it might work out better if you choose to eat in sit down restaurants only. There is no reason for you to worry about germs. You might enjoy your meals without anxiety if you refrain from the salad bars.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:07 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Lettuce that was washed and placed in a bowl that sits in proximity of people and touched by some tongs.

Then paid for and changed received with money that has changed hands dozens of times, then touching door handle on the way out that is touched a hundred times since they came in to eat.

Germs can be spread airborne, but most are spread by direct contact. People touch things then rub their eyes, etc. Sure you share a spoon or tongs but how many other things do you share touching when going to lunch?

Old 01-21-2017, 03:12 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
You didn't catch a cold/flu by ingesting anything. You're more likely to have picked up a bug by touching a random door handle or other such public occurrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink