Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 10:17 AM

604 posts, read 618,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
... so I will put it in the pan as a whole sprig so I can take it out at the end of cooking.
Same here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 12:08 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I love the smell of rosemary and usually lay it on top of or underneath the chicken. Only time I've put it under the skin is when I chop it, mix with minced garlic and softened butter and put that all up under the skin. Yum.

Do you put whole sprigs under the skin with the lemon slices?
I stuff the chicken cavity with rosemary and lemon. Of course, it is discarded after roasting. For salmon, I put it in the cavity, sometimes also with slices of tomato. All of that gets discarded too.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:23 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
OP Fresh herbs add amazing taste to almost anything. Rosemary is one of my favorite plants....because it is a wonderful herb, and it smells so good in the garden.

In fact, I pot rosemary yearly because it deters mosquitos. I had 4 nice size garden pots growing on my patio last spring and summer. It wafts a wonderful fragrance when you sit next to it.

I also would routinely go pinch sprigs off to ad to whatever I was cooking for dinner. It is very tasty of grilled meats. You can also freeze sprigs of it in small freezer bags....or into ice cube trays....instead of water use olive oil....you can freeze several fresh herbs that way.

Glad that you've discovered how to make your meals better. There is empowerment in being able to feed yourself well.

Try this for pizza sometime. Take English muffins, separate them into halves onto a cookie sheet. Put your favorite cheese on top, covering the muffin than add slice fresh garlic on top of the cheese, layer with several cherry tomato halves, add chopped rosemary leaves sprinkled on top. Broil for a few minutes. Great, quick pizza snack.

I sometimes vary the toppings, use pepperoni, or whatever you like and add a side salad and call it lunch or dinner. You can do the same thing with French bread sliced lengthwise down the middle.

Last edited by JanND; 04-11-2017 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 04-11-2017, 05:06 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
I used to make a killer stuffing that contained parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. It was may Simon and Garfunkel Stuffing.

Nowadays I use it in my roast potato seasoning. That is rosemary, thyme, and a tech of marjoram. And kosher salt. Lots of kosher salt.

Otherwise I don't use it. At all.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I love the smell of rosemary and usually lay it on top of or underneath the chicken. Only time I've put it under the skin is when I chop it, mix with minced garlic and softened butter and put that all up under the skin. Yum.

Do you put whole sprigs under the skin with the lemon slices?
Yep, also in the cavity with chunks of onion and quartered lemons.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:44 PM

I also have a friend who makes herbed roasted cashews every year at Christmas, puts them in seasonal baggies, and gives them in little treat baskets as gifts. They are heavy on rosemary, sea salt, and cracked black pepper, and they are absolutely wonderful.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:46 PM

I also run an oil diffuser to combat various cooking smells in the house, and my favorite blend is 15 drops each eucalyptus and rosemary essential oil, 25 drops lavender essential oil. Wonderful room freshener.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I don't know the why part ok? Probly watched a video on roasting tomatoes or something. I'm a bachelor who can't cook. Threw s bunch of leaves on a frozen pizza with like 10 whole cherry tomatoes.

Holy ****! Like a ton of oregano kind of. I taste the mint part for sure.

I bet you could sell this to morons as a drug. All I can say is whoa dude wth!!!
Not something I would use on pizza and certainly not a bunch of leaves. Normally it is to be kept on the twig and just placed in a gravy, on meat, or whatever; then removed prior to serving or use a few leaves on potatoes, chicken, etc. Sounds like you really overdid it.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:31 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I like it to flavor roast pork or potatoes, but a little goes a long way. I wouldn't use it on pizza, basil is for that.
I agree.

Rosemary is not something you typically use a lot of unless you're roasting a big piece of meat or a large pot of veggies.

I like rosemary but too much will easily ruin a dish for me.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
OP Fresh herbs add amazing taste to almost anything. Rosemary is one of my favorite plants....because it is a wonderful herb, and it smells so good in the garden.

In fact, I pot rosemary yearly because it deters mosquitos. I had 4 nice size garden pots growing on my patio last spring and summer. It wafts a wonderful fragrance when you sit next to it.

I also would routinely go pinch sprigs off to ad to whatever I was cooking for dinner. It is very tasty of grilled meats. You can also freeze sprigs of it in small freezer bags....or into ice cube trays....instead of water use olive oil....you can freeze several fresh herbs that way.

Glad that you've discovered how to make your meals better. There is empowerment in being able to feed yourself well.

Try this for pizza sometime. Take English muffins, separate them into halves onto a cookie sheet. Put your favorite cheese on top, covering the muffin than add slice fresh garlic on top of the cheese, layer with several cherry tomato halves, add chopped rosemary leaves sprinkled on top. Broil for a few minutes. Great, quick pizza snack.

I sometimes vary the toppings, use pepperoni, or whatever you like and add a side salad and call it lunch or dinner. You can do the same thing with French bread sliced lengthwise down the middle.
English muffins used to be my fave for mini pizzas, but I have now figured out lavash or middle eastern flatbread (pocketless pitas) are even better. They crisp up nicely and feel more like pizza crust. You can even brush with olive oil first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink