Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 10:00 AM

901 posts, read 747,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
COOKED foods, not raw. People on raw food diets often lose weight (though they typically need to process that food via blending, chopping, etc.)

RE: Energy - fats (and ketones) make a happy brain,too. (9 calories/gm of fat vs. 4 calories/gm for carbs)
Hunter-gatherers may have had a ketogenic diet (high fat, moderate protein, low carb)
, with carbohydrate rich foods only available in season.
Craving food is diminished on a ketogenic diet.
. . . .
Evolution Cordon Bleu
There are many other intrinsic differences between humans and primates, derived from the change in diet to softer cooked foods - smaller jaw muscles and thus less pressure on the skull (compare the jaw muscle attachment in other primates).
They were only keto when they were staving. Ketosis is the bodies adaptation to starvation. Game animals don't have enough fat to make a "keto" diet. Even Inuits only get around 50% of calories from fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 10:54 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The carbs we know today are not the same as the carbs people ate hundreds of years ago. Do you think anything like Wonder Bread existed in 100 BC, 1400 AD, 1800 AD? Some of our food has been so genetically modified that it is unrecognizable as food sometimes. Compare Wonder Bread to Ezekiel bread which is sprouted grain, not the wheat most people are used to. Two completely different foods although they are both called bread.

As for craving carbs, when you stop eating processed carbs and sugar, you will stop craving it.
and lots of people died from starvation and mal-nutrition,,,
and many ate rotting dead animals just to survive.. .... back in the caveman and early human days

I'm betting if they could go to a taco bell, mcdonalds, burger king, dairy queen ...they trade you a good spear and three quiet women

I don't think they give a hoot about what is processed or organic

this is a first world luxury of being picky

Old 04-15-2017, 11:39 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Silly title to thread I know.
Couldn't figure out how to title it.

If us humans are omnivores, but mostly carnivores in the centuries past(evolution) , why now do we like\crave carbs so much? ie: pastas, breads.
Where is the connection? If there is one.

Maybe we craved them then?
How did we get the carbs?
It seems by history buffs that we hunted and gathered.
Hunted meat and gathered plants to eat.
Because pasta is effing awesome.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:48 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
carbs are not bad for people.. it's their portion size and lack of moderation that gets them in trouble.. well, that and fructose, which has a similar affect on the liver as alcohol does when consumed in excess.

Inotherwords, give up the regular soda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The carbs we know today are not the same as the carbs people ate hundreds of years ago. Do you think anything like Wonder Bread existed in 100 BC, 1400 AD, 1800 AD? Some of our food has been so genetically modified that it is unrecognizable as food sometimes. Compare Wonder Bread to Ezekiel bread which is sprouted grain, not the wheat most people are used to. Two completely different foods although they are both called bread.

As for craving carbs, when you stop eating processed carbs and sugar, you will stop craving it.
I like bringing back loaves of "natural ovens" bread when I visit Wisconsin.. I'm hard pressed to find a good multigrain bread in the grocery stores around here. In any case, carbs get converted into molecules of glucose in the stomach, regardless of their origins.. if you want to make your wonder bread healthier, eat a bowl of all bran buds with it, which is mostly psyllium husks... it might seem like granola or other "hardy" breads are healthier but our bodies don't really care.. calories are calories.. they all break down into basic components in the body.

I used to be a natural food nut but basic science has me kind of backing off the whole worrying about GMOs or whatever. Preservatives in food really aren't even bad for people... they're nothing more than antioxidants for food. I've gone through a pound of Ceylon cinnamon the last 2 months alone.. lots of antioxidant power there with my bran buds and some stevia. Most fruit available in stores did not occur in nature, and was formed from various means that, although technically not done in a lab, is still genetic modification.

Last edited by sholomar; 04-15-2017 at 11:58 AM..

Old 04-15-2017, 11:49 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
They were only keto when they were staving. [not true]
Ketosis is the bodies adaptation to starvation. Game animals don't have enough fat to make a "keto" diet. Even Inuits only get around 50% of calories from fat.
Pemmican, that Indian staple food, was 80-83% fat.
. . .
38 Days Of Pemmican – Ketosis In The Winter Bush
. . .
A close match is modern pepperoni, of which certain varieties are 80-82% fat.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:24 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Carbs enough from plants to equate to the pastas and breads that so much of us crave? And is claimed that it is so bad for us?
Yes. The Oregon coastal Indians used to travel days inland for no other purpose but to dig camas. In tougher environments where agriculture was necessary, they raised corn, beans and squash. Carbohydrates are an essential nutrient. If you don't have them, you get sick.

The only people who claim carbohydrates are bad for you are the moron food faddies. Children in particular need a high calorie, high carbohydrate diet to grow properly. They do crave sweets, often more than is good for them. Instead of refined sugars, they should be eating whole grains and root vegetables, but that sugar shot is very attractive. Most people lose their taste for sweets as they grow into adulthood. I remember loving cream soda when I was 8 years old, but find the taste disgusting now. I also don't care for candy, though I make baklava and candied walnuts for Christmas.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:28 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
. . .
. . .
Pemmican varied according to the ingredients available. It's not like they had a supermarket to shop at. I have had pemmican that was dried berries and corn meal pounded together with just enough fat to bind it.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:44 PM

901 posts, read 747,573 times
Quote:
. . .
. . .
It is 100% true sorry I don't fall in line with the keto zealotry, Keto diets were developed to starve the brain of glucose to lower the seizure threshold for epileptics, therefore making their medication more effective and they were only administered short term due to negative side effects.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:03 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Yes. The Oregon coastal Indians used to travel days inland for no other purpose but to dig camas. In tougher environments where agriculture was necessary, they raised corn, beans and squash. Carbohydrates are an essential nutrient. If you don't have them, you get sick.

The only people who claim carbohydrates are bad for you are the moron food faddies. Children in particular need a high calorie, high carbohydrate diet to grow properly. They do crave sweets, often more than is good for them. Instead of refined sugars, they should be eating whole grains and root vegetables, but that sugar shot is very attractive. Most people lose their taste for sweets as they grow into adulthood. I remember loving cream soda when I was 8 years old, but find the taste disgusting now. I also don't care for candy, though I make baklava and candied walnuts for Christmas.
I loved cream soda when I was a kid, too, and I still do. I get one a couple of times a year. I don't often drink soda, so when I do, I get something I really like and enjoy it.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:36 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
It is 100% true sorry I don't fall in line with the keto zealotry, Keto diets were developed to starve the brain of glucose to lower the seizure threshold for epileptics, therefore making their medication more effective and they were only administered short term due to negative side effects.
Incorrect. The brain functions quite well on ketones.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-advantageous/
"The brain cannot DIRECTLY use fat for energy...The backup is ketone bodies... the brain is [happy] deriving energy from ketones ..."
"Remarkably, a long-term ketogenic diet does not seem to be associated with significant side effects"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink