Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 01:45 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,874,117 times

Advertisements

To me, a lot of it depends on what else you're getting with the meal.

If you're eating a $60 meal that's really only worth $30 anywhere else BUT you're sitting by the window in a revolving restaurant 40 stories up looking out at the most stunning sunset over the bay and the mountains and the city and the......, then you're paying $30 for the meal and $30 for the ambiance. That's worth it.

If you're eating that same $60 meal that's only worth $30 and your view is the swinging door into the kitchen, then you're getting screwed out of $30.

Simple as that.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:50 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
There's a difference between expensive and overpriced. Something can be expensive and be worth the price. If something is overpriced, by definition it is not worth the price. So the premise of the thread (or at least the title) is flawed because it's contradictory.

It would have made more sense if it said "Is Any Expensive Restaurant Good Enuf [sic] To Be Worth It?"

And to answer that question ... yes, I've eaten in many expensive restaurants that I found to be worth the price I paid. But then again, "expensive" is relative.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:00 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
To me, a lot of it depends on what else you're getting with the meal.

If you're eating a $60 meal that's really only worth $30 anywhere else BUT you're sitting by the window in a revolving restaurant 40 stories up looking out at the most stunning sunset over the bay and the mountains and the city and the......, then you're paying $30 for the meal and $30 for the ambiance. That's worth it.

If you're eating that same $60 meal that's only worth $30 and your view is the swinging door into the kitchen, then you're getting screwed out of $30.

Simple as that.
Ambiance is certainly worth something. It's value definitely lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:17 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
It depends on the value to you which is related to how much money you have and how much you desire the food.

I make a modest wage, but I am willing to spend $50-75+ for a special meal (such as on a vacation or celebration) or $20-30 on a more regular basis for food I really enjoy.

On the other hand, I have a good friend who makes over $150k who thinks that no one needs to spend more than 75 cents on a box of mac and cheese. He is not really into food.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:32 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I just came from a lunch party at a very pricey local joint; a small lunch with iced tea, no dessert, was nearly 19 simoleons.

But here's the thing. The service was really friendly and the Brussels sprouts were so good they made my eyes roll up in my head in ecstasy. It just might have been worth the price of admission.

Is any overpriced place worth it to you?

$19 bucks for lunch doesnt sound overpriced to me...

Old 06-08-2017, 02:43 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It depends on the value to you which is related to how much money you have and how much you desire the food.

I make a modest wage, but I am willing to spend $50-75+ for a special meal (such as on a vacation or celebration) or $20-30 on a more regular basis for food I really enjoy.

On the other hand, I have a good friend who makes over $150k who thinks that no one needs to spend more than 75 cents on a box of mac and cheese. He is not really into food.
That makes sense. It's one's priorities and everyone is different. For some reason it just seems there's more disposable income than ever right now. Back in the 70's I felt like I was splurging and squandering the family income to spend $1.50 on lunch. Today my bunch thinks nothing of 10-12 bucks each for lunch or more. Sometimes much more. When I was working I needed lunch. These days I can do without. I like good food as well as anyone else but not willing to pay exorbitant prices for a slightly better fluffed up version of more reasonably priced fare. Some see food as their greatest joy and are willing to pay the price. To each his own of course. There can be a rare exception when we all splurge or are willing to spend more when company is visiting and such.
Salaries and incomes vary greatly across the country even for the same jobs. That of course dictates the disposable income available to some extent.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:51 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Le Bernardin
French Laundry
Gramercy Tavern

Every single meal, every single time, was worth mortgaging the house.

Some of you just don't have the concept of how expensive some food actually is. That's not a bad thing, just open up your minds a little.

For example, Lion Fish. You cannot commercial fish it. You cannot catch it with a net or a rod and reel. A diver has to suit up, find the fish in the cave it lives in and shoot it. That drives the price up insanely and they pass it on to the restaurant who passes it on to you.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:05 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,426,903 times
I have only been to two expensive restaurants. One was at a Brazilian rodizio place and the other a Fondue place..
The experiences of both were well worth the expense...

At both we also ordered wine which I normally never order alcoholic beverages out, maybe a beer at Hooters is about it..

The food, service and experience though was truly above and beyond so it was well worth the money spent..

I still haven't made it to a high end steak house. It's not that I don't want to spend the money..
I am afraid of being disappointed or let down because I'd go there more for the food and less for the experience..

Old 06-08-2017, 05:05 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
...For example, Lion Fish. You cannot commercial fish it. You cannot catch it with a net or a rod and reel. A diver has to suit up, find the fish in the cave it lives in and shoot it...
Lionfish are a venomous invasive species in the Gulf of Mexico and authorities encourage anyone to take the fish by hook-and-line, net, spear, pole, etc. year-round. You don't even need a license to spear or net lionfish. Commercial harvesters are also encouraged to rid the waters of this invasive fish.

Florida Regulations for Lionfish

Old 06-08-2017, 05:10 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
My youngest son recently took the whole family out to dinner at a Brazilian restaurant here. Just under 400 buckarooni's for 6 adults and 2 little kids. Absolutely ridiculous and there's no way any sort of food is worth that to me. It was an experience but extravagance and a meal can only be worth so much.
That's cheap IMO. My DH husband and I took our nephew out to a steak restaurant and it was just under $400. This included 3 appetizers,two 40 oz. rib eye steak and 1 8 oz. filet mignon 2 sides served family style . and DH and I each had two mixed drinks. and we each had dessert. Yes it was worth it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink