Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 04:55 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times

Advertisements

Ok, let's not be critical of coating choices and stick to vegetables only. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 09:32 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,375,696 times
several factors may be involved. When my stuff comes right out of the garden, like this week, they cook a lot faster than store bought. Freshness impacts.
types of potatoes really vary. I'm growing Kennebec's this year, one of IN/N/OUT's French fry secrets. They fry nicely, have a very thin skin and white texture, but are almost never retailed as they don't seem to keep. However, boiling/steaming them they just get harder it seems.

Your choice is tough. When I buy frozen bags of mixed veg. I run them briefly under hot water mainly to get rid of the ice covering and possible bad water. They then steam up FAST and nice.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:17 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,540,599 times
OP: USE YOUR GRILL INSTEAD

toss your veggies in 1 TBSP of BBQ sauce and 1 TSP olive oil, along with seasoned salt and garlic power and do them in a grill pan on your BBQ. (I also add some fruit to this such as bite sized pieces of peaches, pineapple or mango)

You have to watch they don't burn, but the results are so MMmmm! Much tastier than in the oven.

For example, (broccoli, cauliflower, red pepper pieces, small pieces of carrots, asparagus, mushroom caps, zuccini) all work great in the grilling pan. You can add Chinese seasonings/soya sauce to this instead of BBQ sauce and it is excellent also.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
several factors may be involved. When my stuff comes right out of the garden, like this week, they cook a lot faster than store bought. Freshness impacts.
types of potatoes really vary. I'm growing Kennebec's this year, one of IN/N/OUT's French fry secrets. They fry nicely, have a very thin skin and white texture, but are almost never retailed as they don't seem to keep. However, boiling/steaming them they just get harder it seems.

Your choice is tough. When I buy frozen bags of mixed veg. I run them briefly under hot water mainly to get rid of the ice covering and possible bad water. They then steam up FAST and nice.
Maybe it is because I use frozen veggies so rarely, but I just can't seem roasting frozen veggies. When I want grilled vegetables I always use fresh ones. I use frozen ones for casseroles and on rare occasions soup. I have a wonderful recipe for a corn soup, which,of course is made with frozen corn.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:36 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,623,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
I'm trying to eat healthier because I want to get rid of ten pounds and I started meal prepping bc I found videos on youtube. I keep trying to roast my veggies in the oven but they never turn out like they do in the videos I watch!

I normally put my veggies (like brocolli) in my pan and I add in some olive oil and seasonings. I mix it up then put it in the oven. I don't know if I'm overcooking it or what, but when they come out they have always shrunk and are too crunchy.. am I overcooking it? Is there a trick to this? I'd love some help Thank you!
I put one pound (16 ounce frozen package) in a bowl, add 2 T. canola oil or oil of your choice, coat the veggies and add any seasonings wanted. I have a friend who sprinkles poultry seasoning over them but I prefer nothing. I use a 9 X 13 casserole dish and put in a cold oven setting the heat to 400 and the time to 30 minutes. I have used 45 minutes for larger amounts in the same size dish. Metal cookie sheets tend to burn the veggies.

I thought the idea was to have them shrink and be crunchy. If you want water filled veggies just follow the steam instructions on the package in the microwave.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:43 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
... Is there a trick to this? I'd love some help Thank you!
One of the most helpful tips I learned this past year is about pre-heating the oven. It is not just about getting the oven to that temperature---you really need to get your oven ready. I let my oven pre-heat at the recommended temperature at least for 20 minutes. It makes a big difference.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:53 AM

442 posts, read 496,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Broccoli is one vegetable that does not roast well. Just steam or satuee it. Funny, though very similar, cauliflower is a great veggie to roast.

See, I think it is one of the BEST to roast. The flavor is SO deep. Love it - I do it at least once a week.

OP - I mix EVOO, chili powder, garlic powder, and curry powder in a bowl. Dump in my fresh chopped florets, and give them a good mix. Throw on a preheated pan, in a preheated over (425) and roast about 20 minutes. LOOOOVE it!

Old 08-11-2017, 12:54 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,868,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSoup View Post
...I mix EVOO, chili powder, garlic powder, and curry powder in a bowl. Dump in my fresh chopped florets, and give them a good mix. Throw on a preheated pan, in a preheated over (425) and roast about 20 minutes. LOOOOVE it!
That's how we do it (minus the chili, garlic, and curry powders). It definitely has a rich, roasted flavor.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:34 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Actually almonds are great for weight loss. You don't need that many to get lots of flavor, a full feeling,
Same with cookie dough ice cream. I just eat a pint and I am no longer hungry. Add a bottle of wine and I go to bed completely satisfied instead of staying awake with cravings.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:21 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
This is what I do:

1 lb. baby carrots
1 large sweet onion cut into chunks
5-6 fresh whole garlic cloves (do not chop leave whole)
2 or three peeled parsnips cut into small chunks
1 Lb. small red or small Yukon gold potatoes cut into quarters
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tsp. salt
1-2 sprigs fresh rosemary.

cut up vegetables, add whole garlic cloves. toss in a big bowl with olive oil and salt. place on a cookie sheet. Place sprigs of rosemary on top of vegetables. Roast on 400 for about 45-60 minutes. Turn vegetable occasionally. remove rosemary from vegetables and serve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink