Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 02:00 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-849...nd+slow+cooker

I have two of these in a different color.
If I didn't already have a crock pot, I'd buy this! Very cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 02:22 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Thank you both, I like the crock pot meals we have made & I do not need to cook beans in half an hour, I plan our meals & I like the way the dry beans cook on the stove top. The IP seems better suited to someone who needs to cook in a hurry & that is not me. I think I will try the cp with griddle that CSD mentioned.
I don't need to cook in a hurry, I just don't like the smell of food cooking all day. By the time it's ready to eat, I'm nauseated from the smell and can't eat it. Smells still come out of the pressure cooker, but not as strongly and not all day. The other advantage is that I don't have to watch it. I can put the food in, set it, and go ride my bike while dinner cooks, which is the same thing I liked about slow cookers.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:31 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,693 times
Quote:
Our cp is not working correctly, it will only cook on high, the low feature is not working. We use it several times a month, mostly to make pulled pork, or a pot roast type meal. We use it all year round, as in the summer, we do not use the oven at all. I also like that I can store it in the cupboard, as counter space is limited.

Should I replace it with another crock pot or something different like an instant pot? I am looking for ideas.
For safety's sake trash that old pot since part of the switch is burnt out which why it doesn't work on those settings.

It's a fire waiting to happen.

Believe it or not.........

Old 09-26-2017, 06:25 AM

923 posts, read 526,823 times
I got one of those precision induction cooktops that just plug in for Christmas a few years ago. Since I had enamel coated CI pots I use that all the time in place of a CP and use it for many other things.

It's nice to get it hot to sear the meat, then put it on low/high(170-190 or so) like a crock pot. set the time and walk away.

Ended up buying another one to keep food warm in the back yard/garage/anywhere when people come over. Great for setting temps when deep frying.

If you lived closer I'd give you my crock pot. lol

Old 09-26-2017, 08:26 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
If I didn't already have a crock pot, I'd buy this! Very cool.
I would too. never saw this one before. My crock pot is 12 years old.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:37 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
For safety's sake trash that old pot since part of the switch is burnt out which why it doesn't work on those settings.

It's a fire waiting to happen.

Believe it or not.........
agree 100% !

A 120v appliance that you typically have on and operating on the counter top ( right below combustible wooded cabinets ) and you know for a fact it has a broken temp setting switch !!

OMG are you serious ?

Its a $25 appliance and you are risking your HOME and your LIFE by using it ?

C'mon ... get a grip and toss that thing into the trash and call it a day

Old 09-26-2017, 10:22 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
agree 100% !

A 120v appliance that you typically have on and operating on the counter top ( right below combustible wooded cabinets ) and you know for a fact it has a broken temp setting switch !!

OMG are you serious ?

Its a $25 appliance and you are risking your HOME and your LIFE by using it ?

C'mon ... get a grip and toss that thing into the trash and call it a day
We only found it was not working this past weekend, when we went out & came home to a cold cp. I have no intention of using it again.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:10 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-849...nd+slow+cooker

I have two of these in a different color.
Thank you for the recommendation, it arrived yesterday & today we made a tri tip roast in it, & it came out great. I love the size & the ability to put it on the stove top, to brown, in the beginning, & try to make gravy at the end. It is my favorite crock pot ever!!

Old 10-08-2017, 08:42 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Thank you both, I like the crock pot meals we have made & I do not need to cook beans in half an hour, I plan our meals & I like the way the dry beans cook on the stove top. The IP seems better suited to someone who needs to cook in a hurry & that is not me. I think I will try the cp with griddle that CSD mentioned.
I purchased an instant pot just a few months ago. I don't need to cook in a hurry and, frankly, when you add up the time it takes to come up to pressure, cook the food, and natural release of the pressure, I don't think it saves much time (unless you're comparing it to an all day slow cook).

What I really value about the OP is the flavor and texture of the meat. Even ex butcher DH (who thought the contraption was stupid) agrees - the meat IS more flavorful and you have more control over texture than a slow cooker produces. We also have found that meat is juicier (but the sous vide is better for juicy meat, especially chicken).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink