Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
Perked 16 13.79%
Drip 37 31.90%
French Press 33 28.45%
Other (Keurig, etc) 30 25.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 05:32 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,846 times

Advertisements

I drink only one large mug of coffee in the mornings. I use a Kitchen Aid drip Coffeemaker. I buy whole beans from Aldi where they usually have a light roast Organic Peruvian or Guatemalan. I grind fresh every morning a mix of 2 tablespoons of the beans with 1 tablespoon of ground dark roast Colombian or Black Silk, and brew with about 12 ozs water. Nice strong brew results from all that effort!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 07:14 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
A couple years ago I went simple.
  • I got a mesh filter that fit over a plastic container;
  • put a number two filter inside,
  • added two spoons full of store bought ground coffee and poured boiling water through.

Simple with nothing to clean up (I have two filters that I rotated between active duty and the dishwasher). It did OK. The biggest PITA was having to slowly pour water from my kettle evenly over the grounds (stopping to let the water filter through a couple times) in the filter.

However, I was in Costco and talked to a man who HIGHLY recommended fresh ground and Costco was selling a Cuisinart Grinder/Brewer which I purchased for $29.

It is like night and day. The coffee taste so much better and cleanup consists of rinsing off the internal plastics which is a little more "work" but worth it for the much improved taste.,.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:57 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Now I have a Breville and I love it. It makes wonderful espresso's and any other type you can get in a nice coffee shop.
Almost all small kitchen appliances from Breville are of absolutely outstanding quality. I have few and didn't regret buying them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
You can get a nice cup from most any brewing method if you know what you are doing... (temperature control is huge) But what really matters is high quality beans, not burnt to death like Starbucks, no more than a week old, ground fresh, properly stored, and used in the right quantity.
You should also consider this:
//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...er-coffee.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/48226262-post11.html

Here is an older, very informative thread about coffee makers :
//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...ee-makers.html

Old 10-08-2017, 11:57 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I hate Keurig coffee.

Percolator coffee tastes fine but not any better than drip coffee to me.

I drink drip coffee in the morning because I can set it to be ready when I get up, which is important to me. I do NOT want to wait for coffee when I get up! It tastes good but not "special" if you know what I mean. But the trade off - having a hot cup of coffee ready the minute I stumble into the kitchen - is worth it.
That is indeed one of those "to each their own" things. When I get up for my night shift at the ranch, the isolation and quiet is like waking up as Major West on the Jupiter II. So an automatic system responding to me would be in the ball park, right?

Nope. It's another day, another peanut, stumble out to the kitchen to put the pot on, then sit on the edge of the bed reflecting (if I didn't do that first but tonight, my smart phone alarm was out in the kitchen on charge), and then realizing that I ought to put on some music to take the quiet out.

At least the automatics aren't like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shs7VQhVvxA

As it goes with my coffee, even poured from the pot, it is still too hot to immediately sip from it. I probably have to give it 5 minutes before I can.....and I use a pot holder to pour the pot. So the heat content of it all may be something to add to the equation but that just may be from using a gas stove.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:31 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
You can get a nice cup from most any brewing method if you know what you are doing... (temperature control is huge) But what really matters is high quality beans, not burnt to death like Starbucks, no more than a week old, ground fresh, properly stored, and used in the right quantity.
I agree, Starbucks is just nasty tasting, and you end up with a bitter aftertaste. I've tried it twice, thinking the first time was just old coffee at the bottom of their pot. The second time was just as bad.

When I see people lined up at a Starbucks counter, I wonder whether their taste buds are dead.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:23 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Default Iced Coffee

I make a full pot of perked coffee and pour it into a Tupperware to cool, then put it in the refrigerator. I do that all year round.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:57 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Instant Folger's. With Nestle's sugar-free French Vanilla creamer!

Old 10-09-2017, 07:05 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
I don't think anyone has mentioned the vacuum method, which IMHO makes the best coffee. We had one for a brief time until my klutz of a husband broke one of the glass globes. But they make them in SS now too. Fun to watch in the glass ones though.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:28 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
^^^^ Obviously there are many methods, therefore this article might be useful to OP:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.872be7c4b149

Old 10-09-2017, 07:33 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
I use a Greca. Just can't get the flavor I want from a drip or a French press. It seems that a little bit of pressure is also required for the flavor I like best - not just heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink