Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 06:46 AM

759 posts, read 3,145,145 times

Advertisements

I will be hosting Thanksgiving this year and need advice about roasting 2 turkeys in separate roasting pans in oven. I have a small oven 24" wide x 17.5" length.

Can I stagger the turkeys, 1 on top rack, 1 on bottom?

Any advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 07:16 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Cook to 165 f temp

Any way you can

I prefer carving the bird in the kitchen not
On the table and we separate the white and dark meat

Because of this- I’ve cooked multiple ways

I’ve cut both birds in half. For 4 halves. This done cook quicker
And I’ve also taken the wings And legs off. And cooked separately

Yes the breasts will take longer to cook because of size
But you can also split the breasts

Old 10-17-2017, 07:49 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Place them in the oven however they will fit, rotating occasionally. But be aware that it may take longer for them to cook. DO NOT rely on calculating the cooking time. Get TWO leave-in meat thermometers and cook them until they reach an internal temp of 165 (probe in the thickest part of the thigh, without touching the bone).

You could also consider cooking one of them a different way ... perhaps frying, smoking on the grill, or using a counter top roaster.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:46 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times
Maybe if you cut out the spines and break the breastbones to flatten them (spatchcock) you can fit them both in the 24" oven. I had one of those and they seem too small for two intact turkeys.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:59 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Cook one the day before & keep it in turkey or chicken broth.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:01 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
I don't have an advice beyond look at buying a countertop roaster. This is what I do. They are cheap. I actually paid $5 for an unused one at a flea market but they really are pretty cheap. They work really well. It will relieve the stress of either cooking the turkeys in a new way and guestimating how much longer they will need to cook.

This is a lot like the one I bought. It's pretty foolproof.https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CQ...sML&ref=plSrch

Old 10-17-2017, 09:09 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,752 times
Best option is butcher up the birds separating Breasts ( split those to make cooking easier ) Thighs drum sticks and wings

pros: everything easier to cook to proper temp - will fit into various pans in your stove - should get all to fit in 1 cook episode

cons: just the time required to butcher out the birds - maybe a few more pans to clean up as well

Old 10-17-2017, 09:18 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
How big is each turkey? I don't see them both fitting if you leave them whole (I imagine one will be close to the top rack.

I would spatchcock them or as Strk suggested--butcher them up.

Aren't you going to need the oven for other food? Maybe cook one the day before or try to find another method of cooking the other?

Old 10-17-2017, 10:50 AM

759 posts, read 3,145,145 times
I'm not a skilled turkey cooker so I don't want to be butchering up turkeys prior to cooking. I was just thinking about putting one on one rack one on the second rack maybe 9 lbs or so each. Thanks for everyone's suggestions, lots of stuff I never would have thought of

Old 10-17-2017, 11:26 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I'm not a skilled turkey cooker so I don't want to be butchering up turkeys prior to cooking. I was just thinking about putting one on one rack one on the second rack maybe 9 lbs or so each. Thanks for everyone's suggestions, lots of stuff I never would have thought of
I am surprised 2 small 9lb turkeys would even fit into most ovens stacked on separate shelves / racks. Turkeys are quite tall and take up a lot more height space then most cooks think. Often real estate in the oven becomes an issue when 1 bird is in their .... much less TWO turkeys

Check with some friends or watch a you tube tutorial on cutting up a turkey ( raw - uncooked ) Its a lot easier than you think with the proper sharp knife(s)

I still think that's your best bet. The drumbsticks and wings will be done much sooner than thighs and breasts so that will clear up oven space for other dishes ( big benefit )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink