Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 12:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Oh, yeah, I was raised with eggs cooked till the yolks were hard, and dry scrambled eggs, versus ones prepared more creamy. Neither of my parents can tolerate soft egg yolk, so they never cooked them that way for us. So, I just assumed I wouldn't like a softer yolk, for years. Turns out, I do. Not an intensely runny yolk, but a softer yolk is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 01:31 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Avocados

Old 10-19-2017, 01:35 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Avocados
I honestly did not even know Avocados existed until I was close to 30yrs old

We never had them around our house in the mid west and I was not a mex eater back then in my 20s

Old 10-19-2017, 06:28 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I honestly did not even know Avocados existed until I was close to 30yrs old

We never had them around our house in the mid west and I was not a mex eater back then in my 20s
Being born and raised in Southern California, we always had a neighbor with an avocado tree. When I was about seven, the boy down the street with whom my brother and I would play had a tree in his backyard and he encouraged us to pluck our own 'hand grenades' when we played combat. Just wanted to piggy back on your post because location and exposure is definitely a thing in getting acquainted with types of food.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:38 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Being born and raised in Southern California, we always had a neighbor with an avocado tree. When I was about seven, the boy down the street with whom my brother and I would play had a tree in his backyard and he encouraged us to pluck our own 'hand grenades' when we played combat. Just wanted to piggy back on your post because location and exposure is definitely a thing in getting acquainted with types of food.
These days I like them and try to eat a few each month ... but something crazy is going on with Avacado prices here in the Seattle area and I am near priced out.

Just last year and previous you could pick up 3-4 Avacodos for $5 bucks - close to $1 each. Now prices are triple plus that. Sometimes $3-4ea ?? Crazy - too much for me I will pass at that price

As a kid my mom NEVER bought them so growing up I never saw them or ate them nor knew they existed. then the military ( once again no Avacodo ) then back home to the Midwest ... no Avacodo.

I was early 30s when I discovered Guacamole dip and was curious what it was and made of.

Correct about location and produce.

I am amazed at summertime BBQ cookouts at the number of % people whom have never eaten corn on the cob that was picked that day. Its a whole another taste and experience when its that fresh ( compared to weeks since picked at your local grocer )

Old 10-19-2017, 07:46 PM

10,461 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Spicy stuff. Couldn't eat it at all when I was younger because of the heat, but now, I love spicy stuff like buffalo wings, hot sauce on anything like eggs and collard greens.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:25 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Mushrooms.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:47 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
When I was a kid ( 1960s - 1970s ) my mom was a stay at home mom and we ate as a family 99% of our meals at home. We were comfortable middle class ... but eating out at restaurants was just something we never did as a family.

The closest thing to eating out as I remember was stopping at Dairy Queen after little league baseball games and sometimes getting a footlong chili dog. Or us picking up a Rons pizza and bringing it home and having pizza - some Mike Sells potato chips and 16oz Cokes in a bottle ( gotta love the 60s )

Anyhow ... as great a cook as my mom was, there were just some food items that I just DID NOT want to eat ( that oddly enough now in my adult life I love to eat )

Here is the short list: Green beans ( now I am talking FRESH green beans ) we had a garden on my grandpas farm and beans were picked and ate within a few days. I just never wanted them as a kid. As I remember my mom boiled them in water to cook them ( always over cooking them so they were mushy ) In my adult life I love green beans, but NEVER boiled in a pot. I sear them on the grill or cook in a skillet over high heat and grill them that way. Carefull not to over cook them

Stuffed green peppers were another of my moms fav things to cook. Seemed like at least once every few weeks I would walk in the door after school and smell that ominous smell of those stuffed peppers baking / roasting in the oven. I would quickly come up with any excuse to NOT be around for dinner. They were stuffed with a seasoned Spanish rice kind of filling and I just did not like them. Now in my adult life I would LOVE to have them anytime as I lover peppers - rice and the such.

A few of the foods I hated as a kid and never grew to like as an adult were: beef liver and oninons - OMG how can anybody actually want to eat that organ ? Yuk !

My mom would also boiled spinach in a pot ( similar to how she over cooked the green beans ) - it would turn into a bitter green mush that just gagged me to smell - much less put it in my mouth. I LOVE baby raw spinach leaves today and eat them near daily. Do I ever have cooked spinach ? No way. No need to cook it as I love it raw

curious about others childhood foods ?
Mushrooms, liver, spinach, peas, and worst of all, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. This was a problem, as this was pretty much the default lunch for kids everywhere. My parents were cool, and never tried to make me eat them, but others did. I refused, and got more than one time-out for it.

I love mushrooms now, like liver the way I cook it (and only the way I cook it), and have adored both spinach and peas ever since I discovered that they needn't come from a can. I like peanut butter on apple slices or used in cooking, but still can't bear to eat it in a sandwich.

What I still hate: any overcooked vegetable, peanut butter sandwiches, with or without jelly.

Didn't like beets, but only ever saw canned as a child, and only at church suppers, as my parents didn't like them, either. I want to try fresh ones sometime soon.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 10-20-2017 at 12:59 AM..

Old 10-20-2017, 01:25 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
asparagus, eggplant, avocado!

Old 10-20-2017, 04:16 AM

17 posts, read 11,093 times
I also hated asparagus as a child. And cheese. How did I survive 23 years without cheese?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink