Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 09:46 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times

Advertisements

I can't believe it....I'm on page 12 of this thread, and someone just walked into the office with what appears to be an apple fritter the size of a dinner plate from the Jewish bakery a couple of blocks away.
Like I'm going to be able to resist THAT!
I don't usually eat sugar. Both my parents were diabetic, I was diabetic while I was pregnant, so I try to avoid it. I'm so used to NOT eating it that if I do break down and have a little, I get a stomach ache. I'm going to have to decide whether it's worth it....
My husband is gluten free, and I avoid sugar so no doughnuts ever cross our thresh hold. But at work? What are ya gonna do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 09:50 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
They're easy to make, and you can use frozen puff pastry for the crust.

I've done exactly that in the past but find they're noticeably the same day, at least IMO, I used to live in a town where they were always available fresh.

I haven't tried freezing what isn't eaten same day so that may be a possibility.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:08 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I can't believe it....I'm on page 12 of this thread, and someone just walked into the office with what appears to be an apple fritter the size of a dinner plate from the Jewish bakery a couple of blocks away.
Like I'm going to be able to resist THAT!
I don't usually eat sugar. Both my parents were diabetic, I was diabetic while I was pregnant, so I try to avoid it. I'm so used to NOT eating it that if I do break down and have a little, I get a stomach ache. I'm going to have to decide whether it's worth it....
My husband is gluten free, and I avoid sugar so no doughnuts ever cross our thresh hold. But at work? What are ya gonna do??
I'm in luck. I just tasted it, took a little corner off, and it's not that good. Whew!

Old 10-25-2017, 10:23 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times
I love doughnuts - cake with a little chocolate icing on top - or cinnamon sugar - specifically from Dunkin.... there is a small family owned doughnut shop just down the street from a past residence and it was all I could do not to stop every morning!! I'm okay with the occasional Krispy Kreme. I know how badly my blood sugar reacts to doughnuts so I stay away - or make sure I'm going to be very active all day to counteract the spike.

growing up - we rarely had sweets - and a doughnut was a treat - since they are now on every corner and every store I find myself less interested. Maybe once every 8-10-12 weeks... if that often.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:30 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
"Krispy Kreme!"
When we lived in PA, we could get really good white cream filled donuts with chocolate icing. Mr Donut called it a Pittsburgh Creme. Kretchmars called theirs a Bismarck.

When we moved to California, we quested for cream filled donuts. Bavarians out the wazoo! Not a single cream filled, and the shop keepers looked at us like we were crazy for asking.

Krispy Kreme came to town and we found our white cream filled nirvana again, and luckily it’s far enough away that we only get there a couple times a year....however the quality of that outlet has declined. The last one I had the chocolate glaze was pale and merely sweet, lacking in chocolate flavor, and the cream was sparse and the donut wasn’t very tender....

Old 10-25-2017, 12:55 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Unfortunately, it's the one thing that is sorta "forbidden" to me. As you know, I'm definitely do not do low carb but once I started watching what I eat/dieting, I just no longer eat them. It's like the desire has been removed, which is weird because I have a cheat day where I eat whatever. Literally whatever. But for some reason, I don't consume doughnuts. I do love them, though. But they're like cinnabons, the calorie payload is too much for one item.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:53 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If I could get Portuguese custard cups like I used to get living in NJ, I could probably go a long time without a doughnut.
Pasteis de nata? I'm 1.1 miles from the nearest bakery that makes them in what used to be a late-1960's McDonald's that moved to a bigger building down the road. It's the same bakery that makes malasadas (eggy Azores fried dough) on weekends. My girlfriend likes their chocolate-coconut donuts. I'll buy one for her occasionally but pretty much never buy a donut for myself. Ironically, they built a Dunkin Donuts next door and it does just as much business as the Portuguese bakery next door that, IMO, has much better stuff. New England is fueled by Dunkin Donuts coffee so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

For those who have never had the exposure to them, Pasteis de Nata (or Pastel de Nata) is an egg-cream custard cup. The cup is puff pastry baked in a really hot oven so it's flaky-crunchy. I've had the original in Belem near all the museums outside of Lisbon and sampled several other varieties.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:10 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,734 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pizza Frita yet...flat sweet (deep) fried dough that is kinda donut like ( ...properly sprinkled with gobs of powdered or granular sugar and/or cinnamon). It is best when eaten warm from the fryer at local church picnics. Not very healthy butt very tasty.

Sometimes filled with various items...

Old 11-03-2017, 06:15 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
LOL! Just came upon this thread while scrolling; I literally NEVER eat doughnuts but we passed an apple orchard on the way home from a hike today and brought home two dozen apple cider doughnuts. One dozen are buried deep in the freezer and will stay there until our daughter visits next month. The other dozen, well...I already had 1.5. I do blot them to death before I eat them to get rid o a lot of the oil.
Sky Top Orchard I'm guessing!

Old 11-04-2017, 11:14 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I've pretty much STOPPED bringing baked goods into my house and I have baked in eons..Did my share of sweets and a body full of arthritis and a mouthful of dental work.

I have been getting a couple Whole Foods bran muffins lately and have them for about a week as I eat a little sliver as I feel the need. Keep them in refrig.

I took off 30 lbs in the last year due to health reasons, and don't want to put it back on and want to stay away from dentist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink