Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 02:41 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Black Diamond Grand Reserve is a wonderful, aged cheddar that usually has crystals...(crystals form usually after 2 years plus of aging) and is very popular.

Made in Canada and has won so many rewards, this cheese is much better than Dubliner and others IMO, but is hard to find in stores...igourmet sells it online. Not cheap but always delicious with that sharp bite we love.

After eating many varieties of cheese for DECADES, this brand is my favorite.
I'm in Canada. Black Diamond is our everyday grocery-store cheese brand. It's okay, but it's not of the caliber of French (from France, not from Canada) cheese that I prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 02:45 PM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm in Canada. Black Diamond is our everyday grocery-store cheese brand. It's okay, but it's not of the caliber of French (from France, not from Canada) cheese.
I am in Canada as well and I buy it weekly.It is a great snack with apple or pear or homemade crackers as well on pizza. I buy the "Old" Black Diamond cheddar cheese.It is definitely a winner in our home.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I am in Canada as well and I buy it weekly.It is a great snack with apple or pear or homemade crackers as well on pizza. I buy the "Old" Black Diamond cheddar cheese.It is definitely a winner in our home.
Oh, don't get me wrong; I like it fine. But it doesn't hold a candle to the French cheeses like Caprice des Dieux, Saint Andre, and Le Rustique. That said, those are Camemberts, not cheddar. I just don't like that processed "smoothness" of the supermarket brands, although -- contrary to Magicshark -- I do like Cabot's "Seriously Sharp" cheddar.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong; I like it fine. But it doesn't hold a candle to the French cheeses like Caprice des Dieux, Saint Andre, and Le Rustique. That said, those are Camemberts, not cheddar. I just don't like that processed "smoothness" of the supermarket brands, although -- contrary to Magicshark -- I do like Cabot's "Seriously Sharp" cheddar.
Totally agree with you Dawn.

Coming from Europe originally I value tasty cheese.
Give me some good European bread,good cheese and a glass of wine and I am a happy girl.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:00 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,473,160 times
Quote:
Hey! Hey! It is not like I would say no if someone puts Cabot in front of me! I just find their cheeses are better as an ingredient then eaten plain.
All this talk of cheddar now I have to go grab a chunk of the Adams Reserve New York Extra Sharp Cheddar I have in the fridge.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:

Give me some good European bread,good cheese and a glass of wine and I am a happy girl.
Switch out the wine for a good hefe weissbier and I will say perfection!

Old 11-30-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:

I can't rep you again yet, but YES, YES, YES!

(And now I'm drooling.)

Old 11-30-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Switch out the wine for a good hefe weissbier and I will say perfection!
Yes magicshark I will go right now in my garage and open my Advent beer calendar and hope for a Hefe Weissbier.I actually enjoyed the other day a double smoked cheddar cheese with a Weihenstephaner .So good....

Old 11-30-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Yes magicshark I will go right now in my garage and open my Advent beer calendar and hope for a Hefe Weissbier.I actually enjoyed the other day a double smoked cheddar cheese with a Weihenstephaner .So good....
What?!? A beer advent calendar?!? Oh my dear heaven!!! You are my hero!
Mmmm.....Weihenstephaner! It is a toss up between that and Erdinger for my all time favorites.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:21 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
his place has some pretty good cheddar and it's had crystals in it when I've had it.

https://riverratcheese.net/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink