Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 03:38 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,713,101 times

Advertisements

Tonight we will have a homemade chicken salad wrap with mango and fresh pineapple on the side.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:21 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,722,379 times
I am SO making tacos tonight. I need them. Not just any tacos, but specifically the ones I make. A mighty craving is upon me!

EDIT: OK, I was asked, they aren't like "from scratch" wizardry or anything. I'm not that awesome at cooking. But I just brown ground beef, and use Old El Paso mild seasoning. Yeah, I'm a wimp, I like the mild stuff. I lay out my crunchy shells on a baking sheet and put a small slice of monterey jack cheese off a block in each shell. When the beef is done, I fill the shells and sprinkle on shredded cheese. Meanwhile I've warmed soft shells on the stove top. No one should ever microwave a flour tortilla, warm 'em on the burner or in a pan, man! I bake the crunchy tacos for 5 minutes at 350 degrees. Then I roll up a crunchy taco inside of a warm flour tortilla, crushing it up in there. If I'm feelin' it I might go all in and make cheesy chicken enchiladas, rice, and black beans or refried beans. But I'm lazy, so tonight I probably won't.

Because of my son, I've started doing half and half plain crunchy shells, and those Doritos nacho cheese shells, which he really loves. I just prefer the plain ones. It's the pieces of monterey jack cheese melted in the bottom of the tacos, that really make them kind of addictively yummy though in my opinion.

Last edited by Sonic_Spork; 06-01-2018 at 04:38 PM..

Old 06-01-2018, 04:44 PM

4,696 posts, read 3,486,399 times
I was so bored not cooking. I started dinner and the husband is finishing it.
I was out and about shopping last weekend and ran across scotch bonnet peppers. Now scotch bonnets are the holy grail of peppers to me. I can get virtually any other pepper easily. But when cooking Jamaican the scotch bonnets are essential.
Now anywho I found them, I bought them. Tonight I used them to make Jamaican curried chicken. I will serve over rice and with corn on the cob.

the curry on the stovetop
Honestly sometimes I am not sure if I envy or feel bad for my kids. They do eat quite well or maybe a little too adult!

Old 06-01-2018, 04:51 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,241,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I was so bored not cooking. I started dinner and the husband is finishing it.
I was out and about shopping last weekend and ran across scotch bonnet peppers. Now scotch bonnets are the holy grail of peppers to me. I can get virtually any other pepper easily. But when cooking Jamaican the scotch bonnets are essential.
Now anywho I found them, I bought them. Tonight I used them to make Jamaican curried chicken. I will serve over rice and with corn on the cob.

the curry on the stovetop
Honestly sometimes I am not sure if I envy or feel bad for my kids. They do eat quite well or maybe a little too adult!
Oh, Mon! ..
Magic,
Bob Marley ate no meat..but even HE might want a piece of THAT Chicken..

As they say in Jamaica..'Cool Runnings'

Old 06-01-2018, 05:11 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,241,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
I bought some fresh homemade pizza dough from Italian Peoples Bakery...It's Friday night...
Pizza night in my 'hood.

Dough is rising.
My 12 inch cast iron pan has been in the oven @550 F for almost 45 mins. ( one of these days I am going to built a permanent , all season coal/ wood fired pizza oven in the garden at Magoo Manor.) One that can take the temp up to 800 degrees.

Anyway, tonight is going to be a Sicilian style thick crust pizza, the dough is usually big enough to make a 16 inch thin crust pizza..but this dough will be not be hand tossed and spread that far.
The cast iron pan will be pulled from the oven...sprinkled with cornmeal. the cornmeal will smoke a bit..

The dough, stretched to about 13-14 inches is placed into the cast iron..and placed back into the oven immediately for about 3 minutes..then taken out and the dressing begins..

Chopped garlic cooked in olive oil is applied to the dough ( make sure you get the sides and top) with a dedicated paint brush.
next, apply your good quality mozzarella cheese, then add chopped San Marzano whole tomatoes, Italian dried seasonings, pepper, sea salt...whatever toppings you like, if you use veggies like onions, peppers, fresh broccoli, make sure you precook them a bit so they don't exude too much liquid.

Do this as quickly as possible, with two people it works well.

Tonight my pizza topping is a good grade thin sliced Soppressata.

Put add some good grated parmesan or Romano cheese as the final application.

put the skillet back into the oven..remove from oven when crust is browned, and cheese is bubbling merrily.

When you slice it with your pizza cutter, right in the pan, you should hear the the glorious, unmistakeable crunchy sound of the crust separating...

pick your piece...let it cool a bit..I know it smells delightful, but your upper palate and lingua can only withstand so much 'pizza burn' over the years.

Happy weekend, mi amigos/amigas.
edit: just saw Dogboa's early morn post about making pizza tonight too...yassah! :~}

Last edited by mr.magoo; 06-01-2018 at 05:20 PM..

Old 06-01-2018, 06:44 PM

23,601 posts, read 24,139,882 times
Thank you, Praline. Your meal sounds absolutely wonderful. Enjoy it and have a great weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Tonight will be lemon drop martinis, shrimp cocktails, shrimp curry over rice, and homemade bacon crackers.

picklejuice, Threestep, dogboa, Alm, ccm123 and rainroosty, your dinners are making me hungry - they all sound like the perfect Friday night meal.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:52 PM

38,957 posts, read 22,962,022 times
Spaghetti with meatballs
Salad

Old 06-01-2018, 08:30 PM

19,567 posts, read 9,578,201 times
Tuna wrap and lemonade

Old 06-01-2018, 09:03 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,211,321 times
Enjoyed dinner at a sports bar during happy hour earlier. Chicken quesadillas and a Modelo draft beer.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:44 PM

17,856 posts, read 9,291,314 times
Bacon cheeseburger
Potato wedges with Old Bay seasoning
Coke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink