Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 10:30 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Dog biscuits.

Those bars are nasty but one "bar" that is excellent is Larabars.

But they're not "protein" bars they are limited ingredient "health bars", I'd call them.

Even the peanut butter and choc chip isn't all that unhealthy and it's good. (DATES, PEANUTS, CHOCOLATE CHIPS, SEA SALT)

Cashew Cookie is only two ingredients: Cashew and Dates. PERIOD.

The ratios (macros) are balanced. I test blood sugar lately for fun and it does NOT spike.

I doubt they're raw but they taste like it and have the texture of it. I don't eat them often enough to know about all the many flavors. Definitely NOT processed crap like everything else.

you can make them yourself, too with copy cat recipies.
That's interesting. I always stayed away from Lara Bars because of the sugars.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 10:34 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
How often have you been eating dog biscuits?? Let us know.
hey now, wait a second here. I teethed on Milk Bones. My parents got a Scottie dog 6 months before I was born and we grew up together. one time when Mom gave the dog a milk bone - I grabbed it and started chewing.... She jokingly asked the vet if it would hurt - and he said if it's safe for the dog - should be safe for the kid... this was MANY years ago. but it was a family joke, that the dog and I teethed on Milk Bones...

Old 03-12-2018, 10:36 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
hey now, wait a second here. I teethed on Milk Bones. My parents got a Scottie dog 6 months before I was born and we grew up together. one time when Mom gave the dog a milk bone - I grabbed it and started chewing.... She jokingly asked the vet if it would hurt - and he said if it's safe for the dog - should be safe for the kid... this was MANY years ago. but it was a family joke, that the dog and I teethed on Milk Bones...
hey, people buy better food for their dogs than they do their kids

how many times do people take their pets to the vet when they put up with something instead of going into the doctor for themselves

Old 03-12-2018, 11:08 AM

17,176 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Milk Bones are alright, a little dry. The Cliff protein bars are pretty good. They are somewhat hard to bite into but taste pretty good. And yes I've tried a milk bone. The dog was unimpressed.
I actually do like the Clif bars as well. One of the few that I cans stomach.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:27 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I think it's a tossup! But have you ever SMELLED those whey protein bars? Disgusting!

Old 03-12-2018, 12:13 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,716 times
Dog biscuits. I mean "Woof!"

Old 03-12-2018, 12:56 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,499 times
Neither. I'll just eat real meat or beans/grains. Protein bars are like eating chalk to me.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:20 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quest protein bars are the only bars worth eating. And keep in mind, good protein bars are loaded with sugar.

So at the end of the day, stay away from protein bars

Old 03-12-2018, 01:34 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's interesting. I always stayed away from Lara Bars because of the sugars.
I know, right?

I've found following famous doctors treating diabetics (and reversing them), that the dates are a pretty safe thing. Fuhrman (Nutritarian), Cousens (Raw), McDougall (starch based lover, of course)...they all have recipes. Of course most of them say limit dry fruits in general. Just like not going overboard with the healthy fats from nuts/seeds.

But they're always combined with a fat. Not just chowing them down as a treat LOL.

Occasionally I'll add one to my raw marinade, or a salad dressing made from water, vinegar, nuts or/and a fruit.

NO spikes. Just the typical PP. around an hour after at only say, 10 points on my meter.

Now grains or potatoes? NOPE Cant make that work yet. But as you probably know, everyone is different in that spiking thing.

And I NEVER add salt to anything. The Larabar is about the only added salt I've had in I can't remember how long. But it's not high sodium. I limit mine to about 600.

I don't have Diabetes or even PRE, but I'm always testing to bring my fasting and postp. down to LOW levels with diet because it runs in my family and I am certainly a candidate with some resistance.

Like the other 70% of the population!

Old 03-12-2018, 01:40 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Those things are ridiculously expensive so they better be good. I go through phases of turning into a gym rat when my clothes get tight, and wherever that happens, I make my own protein shakes and muffins. People who buy premade protein shakes and muffins are throwing money away hand over fist. Making them yourself costs a fraction of that, you control the ingredients, and save lots of $$$.
That's why I said you can make them yourself.

Just eat real food. Not non-food food.

But they're 16 for $15.00 on Amazon so I think you're exaggerating a little.

For NUTS and DATES only? Non GMO. Gluten-free, vegan, soy-free, dairy-free $.56 per ounce.

I don't consider that ridiculously expensive.

That's the same price as cheese. The stuff that wrecks insulin. Glucose test strips are a buck each. LOL.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-12-2018 at 01:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink