Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 04:18 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Good old internet. Just like how PETA spread the information that McDonald's grinds baby chickens for its chicken nuggets, which came along with a wonderful video of live chicks tumbling into a grinder.
Jeez, how'd I miss that one? Baby chicks, live, feathers and all going into a grinder? And there are people stupid enough to believe that shi...er, crap? Like, if that's what happened, no one would find bits of bone and feathers and beaks in their nuggets? I would think that the nuggets would be right full of that stuff...so much so that they would be completely inedible.

I was working in a Mickey D's when the nuggets were introduced. I got the job of cooking them, constantly, while a couple of employees circulated through the mall giving the nuggets away for free. I ate a lot of them too. The amount given away was supposed to be accounted for, each bag was supposed to contain 48 nuggets...but I noticed that each bag *actually* had anywhere from 49 to 53 nuggets in it, so I ate the extras. I cooked and ate nuggets for weeks...and never found a single bit of bone, beak or feather.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL, OP, listen to MaineBrokerMan, he knows what he's talking about.

You can't (legally) just marinate a meat product and magically extend its expiration date. If you know of a *particular* store that is doing that, then you should report it. What is the name of this store, and where is it located? And, remember- it had better be true, because if it isn't then you could be held liable for spreading false information that harms the business...or would you like to backtrack and admit that you are spreading unsubstantiated bovine fecality?

Old 03-13-2018, 04:37 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I don't believe what the OP says is true just because one person they know works in the meat department. Anyway I never buy them because it's usually seasoned with flavors my DH can't have or I don't like. I prefer to season myself at home.
i agree...and i despise the "hearsay" propaganda

Old 03-13-2018, 05:01 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Jeez, how'd I miss that one? Baby chicks, live, feathers and all going into a grinder? And there are people stupid enough to believe that shi...er, crap? Like, if that's what happened, no one would find bits of bone and feathers and beaks in their nuggets? I would think that the nuggets would be right full of that stuff...so much so that they would be completely inedible.

I was working in a Mickey D's when the nuggets were introduced. I got the job of cooking them, constantly, while a couple of employees circulated through the mall giving the nuggets away for free. I ate a lot of them too. The amount given away was supposed to be accounted for, each bag was supposed to contain 48 nuggets...but I noticed that each bag *actually* had anywhere from 49 to 53 nuggets in it, so I ate the extras. I cooked and ate nuggets for weeks...and never found a single bit of bone, beak or feather.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL, OP, listen to MaineBrokerMan, he knows what he's talking about.

You can't (legally) just marinate a meat product and magically extend its expiration date. If you know of a *particular* store that is doing that, then you should report it. What is the name of this store, and where is it located? And, remember- it had better be true, because if it isn't then you could be held liable for spreading false information that harms the business...or would you like to backtrack and admit that you are spreading unsubstantiated bovine fecality?
How many have you eaten since you quit?

Actually I like McNuggets for long distance road trips. Get a box of 20, a bunch of ketchup packets, a vanilla shake... and I am happy for many miles!

Old 03-13-2018, 05:32 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
FYI, for those that are not aware. Many of those store seasoned meats that you see, are the ones that are very close to expiration date. They are seasoned and sent back out. You are better off seasoning your meats at home. Info from someone I know from the meat dept
Groceries are infamous for re-badging expired meats, with new containers and pull-dates. If they camouflage the spoiled smell and taste with strong spices, they can pull off the fraud more effectively.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:57 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Groceries are infamous for re-badging expired meats, with new containers and pull-dates. If they camouflage the spoiled smell and taste with strong spices, they can pull off the fraud more effectively.
steve i strongly disagree you are broadbrushing bigtime....

dont believe everything you see or read on 20/20

i work in grocery stores in fact ... i have supervised over 160 meat departments in independent grocery stores...and it was my job to see that the stores were not redating product....

again in this day of keyboard know it alls........ all it takes is a few pictures on facebook and it will kill a store.... why take this chance if you are a store??

why i get so defensive is because ....everyone sells groceries,,,,from dollar stores to walgreens to amazon....but what they dont have is a high quality meat department where customers has trust and confidence...... many of our stores will get over 800 special orders around the holidays......... they will not risk an earned reputation on selling spoiled or questionable meats....

Old 03-13-2018, 07:59 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I was in the market just today, buying burger, and the butcher was standing right across from me, removing chunks of meat from the shipping container and slathering spices on it and packaging it up.

That was meat that had just arrived from the distributor.

What I have seen in this market, and several others, is that meat that isn't sold right away gets a "$3 off of this package" sticker slapped onto it and it gets snapped up by the bargain hunters.

I know 2 different markets that then, if it hasn't sold, donate to the food bank on the last sell by date. The food bank then freezes it, and it is still perfectly good meat.

I don't buy the preseasoned because I assume that it is loaded with salt. I'd rather season at home. Judging by the amount of seasoned meat in the case, the market must sell a lot of it, so somebody likes it.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:28 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
FYI, for those that are not aware. Many of those store seasoned meats that you see, are the ones that are very close to expiration date. They are seasoned and sent back out. You are better off seasoning your meats at home. Info from someone I know from the meat dept
OP, really? You know this "from someone [you] know from the meat department" ... and that makes it a general rule about grocery stores across the country?

What an absurd post. OP, if there's a problem in YOUR local store, report it or otherwise do something about it! But to state these things as if they are true everywhere is incredibly irresponsible.

I've bought seasoned meat from the grocery store, and stuffed poultry and pork, and it's all been delicious. And if it HADN'T been, my grocery store (Hannaford, a New England chain) would have given me my money back.

My grocery store (like the one someone else mentioned) marks down meat that is nearing its expiration (sometimes it's still 2-3 days away). I've bought a lot of that marked-down meat, again with no issues.

OP, please listen to Mainebrokerman, who probably knows just a bit more about meat than you do.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:07 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I was in the market just today, buying burger, and the butcher was standing right across from me, removing chunks of meat from the shipping container and slathering spices on it and packaging it up.

That was meat that had just arrived from the distributor.

What I have seen in this market, and several others, is that meat that isn't sold right away gets a "$3 off of this package" sticker slapped onto it and it gets snapped up by the bargain hunters.

I know 2 different markets that then, if it hasn't sold, donate to the food bank on the last sell by date. The food bank then freezes it, and it is still perfectly good meat.

I don't buy the preseasoned because I assume that it is loaded with salt. I'd rather season at home. Judging by the amount of seasoned meat in the case, the market must sell a lot of it, so somebody likes it.
As one of those bargain hunters, I agree.

Generally, I don't buy a lot of pre-seasoned meats, but that is only because I would prefer to season them myself. It's cheaper, and I can decide for myself what to use - how much salt, how much spice, etc.

There may be stores that try to pass off old meat by repackaging it, but I do not think they are anything like a majority.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:27 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
This has all the markings of a troll thread to get arguments started. I won't fall for it. I worked a meat market once and know it never happened there. This thread isn't really about food but about spreading a rumor.
I agree! Meat markets will not camouflage bad meat with spicy rub, but I suspect some shady restaurants will. Experienced that few times...

Old 03-14-2018, 06:42 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I never buy them. I figure that I don’t need to pay more for something pre made when I’m able to make it myself. It’s not because I think the meat is old, it’s because I’m perfectly capable of making a skewer with chicken or beef and peppers on it instead of paying extra for someone else to do it.

It’s not just meat either. Publix has an array of precut fruit that is wicked expensive. I cut fruit up myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink