Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 09:19 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
This exactly describes my experience. The only semi-decent fruit is apples and bananas. I have yet to find a pear that is not crunchy like an apple (and they never ripen to a soft consistency - and I'm not talking about the types of pears that are supposed to be crunchy). Peaches/plums are mushy and bland.
Much of America's high-quality, healthy produce goes for export to East Asian countries. Like the almonds grown in California, for instance, and using our water to boot. At the same time, we keep the subpar produce for ourselves. As well as cheap crap like corn and soybeans. I'm pretty good at math, but this doesn't add up.

I think we should take the "America First!" approach we've been applying to our military and financial interests, and apply it to our food. Although I'm curious why ethnic supermarkets have cheap, decent produce, while Walmart et al. have overpriced plastic. Don't those apples and tomatoes come from the same farms? In fact, this was covered in "Seinfeld" (in the episode with Kramer eating peaches); it was in the 90's, not too long before the issue of crappy produce went mainstream.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-20-2018 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 09:31 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Much of America's high-quality, healthy produce goes for export to East Asian countries. Like the almonds grown in California, for instance, and using our water to boot. At the same time, we keep the subpar produce for ourselves. As well as cheap crap like corn and soybeans. I'm pretty good at math, but this doesn't add up.

I think we should take the "America First!" approach we've been applying to our military and financial interests, and apply it to our food. Although I'm curious why ethnic supermarkets have cheap, decent produce, while Walmart et al. have overpriced plastic. Donn't those apples and tomatoes come from the same farms? In fact, this was covered in "Seinfeld" in the 90's, not too long before the issue of crappy produce went mainstream.
I live in California so I am spoiled when it comes to fresh fruits and vegetables. The best thing people can do is shop farmers markets or higher end grocery stores. Of course some communities have neither. The closer the food source is to ones home the better the quality, not just in produce but in meat and poultry as well. Of course these things are going to be more expensive. If people budgeted for good quality food instead of treating food as an afterthought and trying to get the best bargain every time they would more than likely be a lot healthier.
Food is fuel and also medicine to keep us healthy. If you put garbage in you will feel like garbage. If you eat healthy foods you will feel healthy. It aint that hard to figure out.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:55 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I live in California so I am spoiled when it comes to fresh fruits and vegetables. The best thing people can do is shop farmers markets or higher end grocery stores. Of course some communities have neither. The closer the food source is to ones home the better the quality, not just in produce but in meat and poultry as well. Of course these things are going to be more expensive. If people budgeted for good quality food instead of treating food as an afterthought and trying to get the best bargain every time they would more than likely be a lot healthier.
Food is fuel and also medicine to keep us healthy. If you put garbage in you will feel like garbage. If you eat healthy foods you will feel healthy. It aint that hard to figure out.
We live in CA and have an absolute abundance of good to great produce.. We tend to shop at Sprouts for our produce, love that place!

Old 03-20-2018, 09:59 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
My crusty old grand father drank and smoked way too much but lived way too long.

The reason why was he always had a huge garden and fruit trees where he grew his own and eat very healthy. He stayed active working cattle and in his garden and man could my grandmother cook a great meal. Everything on his table was fresh.

Even the beef / pork / venison he ate was grass fed natural. very little of what they bough was from a store.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:01 AM

2,572 posts, read 1,646,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
"In many parts of the United States, CSA (community supported agriculture) farms are available that provide fresh fruits and vegetables that are not industrially produced. Just type CSA and your home town/county into an internet search engine, and you will see them. For a few hundred dollars, you too can enjoy the freshest fruits and veggies throughout the growing season, and your kids can go and pick fresh veggies in most of these farms too, which is a great day out for the whole family!
The fact is that in the US, middle class people spend a very small amount of their income on food. Spend a bit more, and you can have an amazing quality of life in the food you eat. Your body is a temple; it deserves the most flavorful and nutritious food you can comfortably afford."
Why American & European Fruits And Vegetables Have No Flavor - Gaia Health

It worked for me.
It probably depends on where you live. We were CSA members for 2 years, but the produce was disappointing. Lots of zucchini which you can only use so many ways, and okra, which we both hate. I don't blame the farmers because TX is very tricky weather-wise and growing stuff is unpredictable. We have peach, apricot and plum trees and blackberry bushes and some years there is barely any fruit.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:31 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Because the fruit and vegetables in grocery stores, including Walmart, have about as much flavor as a sheet of notebook paper. It's ridiculous! The only time this is not true is if the fruit or vegetables are in season locally (only a short time out of the year), you shop at the local farmer's market (which is also only seasonally available), or you go to Whole Foods or some other expensive, high end health food store. These high-end health food grocers are able to afford to fly in-season fruit and vegetables in from Brazil or some place because they will tack the cost of freight on the price you'll pay. No wonder so many Americans are fat. At least with the candy and junk food there is a good flavor and it's affordable. Not so with the fruit and vegetables in grocery stores; even though it's affordable you get no more satisfaction from the taste of it than you would from licking chalk.
Really? I've always been happy the quality and selection of fresh produce at Guintas (aka Meat Farms). Delicious tomatoes in the dead of winter. Prices are great, too. And I say that as a transplant from a New England city that boasts a very well-known farmer's market.

And of course, there are always some decent frozen options to be had year 'round.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 03-20-2018 at 10:40 AM..

Old 03-20-2018, 10:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
It probably depends on where you live. We were CSA members for 2 years, but the produce was disappointing. Lots of zucchini which you can only use so many ways, and okra, which we both hate. I don't blame the farmers because TX is very tricky weather-wise and growing stuff is unpredictable. We have peach, apricot and plum trees and blackberry bushes and some years there is barely any fruit.
Same here. I joined once. $400 for what turned out to be a horrible growing season, and all I got out of it was a few cases of Swiss chard and Romaine lettuce.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:31 AM

4,617 posts, read 3,007,630 times
Default slightly off-topic...

My nearby Whole Foods already has 'California strawberries' in the produce section. How is that possible in March?

Old 03-20-2018, 11:45 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Really? I get wonderful fruit at any time of the year, perhaps because my preferences run to berries. We've just gotten the first of the California-grown strawberries. Before that, they were coming from Mexico, but they didn't lack in flavor.

There's a company in Watsonville that's perfected the knack of growing raspberries, blueberries and blackberries nearly all year 'round.

I compare prices but I don't begrudge money spent on fruit.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:49 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
My nearby Whole Foods already has 'California strawberries' in the produce section. How is that possible in March?
Southern California's warm weather. They grow 'em near Oxnard, as well as areas in San Diego and Orange counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink