Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:39 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,375,200 times

Advertisements

ATLANTA (AP) — Most Americans still don't eat enough vegetables, and fruit consumption is actually dropping a little, according to a new government report released Thursday.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that last year about one-third of U.S. adults had two or more servings of fruit or fruit juice a day. That's down slightly from more than 34% in 2000.
Only about 26% ate vegetables three or more times a day, the same as in 2000. The statistics come from a national telephone survey of hundreds of thousands of Americans.

CDC: U.S. adults eat less fruit, not enough veggies - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 01:22 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,315,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
ATLANTA (AP) — Most Americans still don't eat enough vegetables, and fruit consumption is actually dropping a little, according to a new government report released Thursday.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that last year about one-third of U.S. adults had two or more servings of fruit or fruit juice a day. That's down slightly from more than 34% in 2000.
Only about 26% ate vegetables three or more times a day, the same as in 2000. The statistics come from a national telephone survey of hundreds of thousands of Americans.

CDC: U.S. adults eat less fruit, not enough veggies - USATODAY.com
Maybe cuz we're in a recession now and fruits & vegetable cost too high imo.

mas23

Old 09-10-2010, 04:09 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,471,124 times
I had a $10 salad for lunch today. . It was good, but not $10 good!

Old 09-12-2010, 10:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Maybe cuz we're in a recession now and fruits & vegetable cost too high imo.

mas23
Please; if you know how/where to shop, vegetables can be very cheap. Buy what's on sale/in season.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:38 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,105,356 times
Yeah, I get tired of hearing the argument that eating healthy costs too much. Last night, I made the following dinner for my wife, 5 year old son and I:

Grilled wild-caught salmon marinated in ginger teriyaki sauce, with grilled organic zucchini, mashed sweet potatoes & fresh plums on the side.

The total cost for this meal, not including the gas used for grilling...ten bucks. Yes, that's three people eating a fresh, healthy meal for $10. Plus our baby even ate some of the salmon and sweet potatotes and there was still a little left for the dog. The biggest trick to keeping it affordable is to keep portion sizes reasonable.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,946,157 times
Shop at farmers markets or get the baskets that have a variety of fruits/vegetables from a co-op and you save a ton on costs! I definitely eat less fruit than vegetables. I need to work on that...

The thing that has saved me the most money is starting a cooking group. We get together once a week (usually Sundays) and each pick out recipes for the coming week that are good to refrigerate or freeze to be prepared for each of our families. Some of us have no children and some have a few. For the meal we choose, we buy enough of the ingredients for each person to have their own meal. I honestly thought it would get expensive but it really hasn't been. I guess if you had a group that was impractical maybe you would have issues but we cook all sorts of things and the costs stay really low. A few of us get the farmers baskets when they are in season and get so many vegetables that I usually have to give some away!

Old 09-13-2010, 12:39 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
The CDC is a bunch of liberal commies! I recommend that Americans eat more burgers, freedom fries, an occasional can of Crisco, and wash it all down with a large bottle of Diet Pepsi.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:24 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The CDC is a bunch of liberal commies!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:29 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,315,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Yeah, I get tired of hearing the argument that eating healthy costs too much. Last night, I made the following dinner for my wife, 5 year old son and I:

Grilled wild-caught salmon marinated in ginger teriyaki sauce, with grilled organic zucchini, mashed sweet potatoes & fresh plums on the side.

The total cost for this meal, not including the gas used for grilling...ten bucks. Yes, that's three people eating a fresh, healthy meal for $10. Plus our baby even ate some of the salmon and sweet potatotes and there was still a little left for the dog. The biggest trick to keeping it affordable is to keep portion sizes reasonable.
Great! Now try that with 7 people...

Old 09-15-2010, 07:44 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,105,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Great! Now try that with 7 people...
For seven people, the total cost would be under $25 and it would not require much more time or effort. If those same seven people went to a fast food joint and each bought a combo meal, the total cost would probably be $35+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.