Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 05:59 PM

149 posts, read 515,420 times

Advertisements

My son is turning two this weekend and his party is Saturday. We are having a wubbzy theme. Problem- no wubbzy stuff is made....decorations i have covered (printed some stickers and larger images to put on balloons, cups and tablecloth) and for the cake I was going to have the store do a photo image- until I found out they don't do that (and as much as I love the kid, I'm not driving an half an hour one way to pick up a cake)

so I ordered the cake with a pale blue icing and bright yellow icing trim. I am going to attempt to draw wubbzy myself...

Having never done this, I came up with a couple of ways I could do this.

- pipe an outline in black and fill in
-use a toothpick and trace my design and then use chocolate chips to outline him, then fill in

I think the second one might work best, as it gives me more leeway in case I screw up- easier to smooth out some icing and replace chocolate chips than to try and remove black icing once its down (I think?!)

HEs an easy enough shape, but I"m still stressing about it! I actually had a dream a few nights ago I totally screwed up the entire cake and ruined it! lol

Any other ideas to make this as fool proof and painless as possible?

(using premade white tub icing mixed w/ yellow food dye for wubbzy & mini m&m's for 'confetti effect' around him)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/pippinpuppy/images.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 06:55 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
what if you just printed him out and put it on the cake? dont they sell "edible paper"--i think i have seen it. if you cant find that, then just print it out, place on a cardboard and put that on the cake. then remove before slicing

Old 04-03-2008, 06:57 PM

Edible paper - Create your own stunning art with our edible photo paper

Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times
That's amazing! I never knew such a thing existed. Thanks for the tip! I'd give you some points, but for some reason the system won't let me I'll come back.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:01 PM

513 posts, read 896,642 times
Make a sheet cake, then creatively cut the cake by sculpting it in to the shape you want. Frost the top and decorate with the details accordingly. Just a thought, maybe too involoved but an idea that could be possible. I hope you have a great party.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
That's amazing! I never knew such a thing existed. Thanks for the tip! I'd give you some points, but for some reason the system won't let me I'll come back.
thanks for the points--lol

Old 04-04-2008, 08:29 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
When my son was little, he was into "Bear in the Big Blue House"... I could find NOTHING for him. I bought some stickers on Ebay and then I talked to the bakery lady at the grocery store. She told me to bring in a picture of Bear and she could do it... very good job too! If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, you might consider this - or check at your local craft stores if any of the employees knows a cake decorator.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:42 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
When my daughter was young, I used to love to do 'girly' things for/with her.

For one birthday, I borrowed an idea I stumbled across in a magazine, for making tiny, individual cakes. You used one-pound cans (like tomatoes come in) to bake the little cakes (grease and flour them well). Then, you can ice and decorate the cakes anyway you might like.

They were really cute -- little birthday cakes at each girl's place. We used the little tea cups from a child's tea set (not the tiny, tiny ones), and had little finger foods for the plates. The girls wore dress-up clothes, complete with hats and gloves and strands of beads, and brought a favorite doll or teddy bear.

Prissy little things, all of them.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:57 PM

149 posts, read 515,420 times
well....I didn't really implement any of your ideas (thuogh there were some great ones!) but heres the finished product...in all it's wubbziness glory! lol

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/pippinpuppy/cake2.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-04-2008, 03:00 PM

you did a great job!!! congrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink