Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 06:18 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times

Advertisements

Nah, I really don't want to live longer if I am going to spend that time scrubbing pans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 07:12 AM

307 posts, read 224,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Have any of you you made efforts to give up Teflon or the equivalent? Either for personal health or environmental health? I've been trying to use my Revereware more - but it's hard to resist the lure of non-stick. I keep thinking I should try cast iron, but it's so damn heavy.

I was thinking about it again after an Amy Goodman interview with Rob Billot:

EPA Doesn’t Want You to Know Chemicals in Teflon Are Poisoning Waterways & Firefighters
https://www.democracynow.org/2018/5/...nt_want_you_to

The Lawyer Who Became DuPont’s Worst Nightmare
Rob Bilott was a corporate defense attorney for eight years. Then he took on an environmental suit that would upend his entire career — and expose a brazen, decades-long history of chemical pollution.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/10/m...nightmare.html
Really cool question! When I read about pet birds dying from the toxic effects of teflon and the like, yeah, I quit because that was freaky. That includes not using non-stick utensils.

This isn't new look at Round-up that's being used by farmers. But be woke and let others know, please.

Let me add one last thing that's nuts to me. When we lived in Asheville, there was a coal plant about 5 miles away. My bad allergies in the north got worse. Before it rained, my shnoze would drip. I knew rain was comin'.
We moved. My nose doesn't drip like a faucet anymore and it's consistent enough the coal in the air was obviously the reason. So many toxins and no government person gives a hoot.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:39 AM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
I won't buy any cookware unless it has a non-stick "teflon" coating.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:01 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Have any of you you made efforts to give up Teflon or the equivalent? Either for personal health or environmental health?.
Yes. Many years ago. As soon I found out all the negative aspects.
My pots are stainless steel, pure ceramic and Dutch oven. The pans are SS or ceramic coated by Greblon. Recently I got few Scanpan pieces, and I am impressed!

Old 05-21-2018, 09:01 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
First of all, I suspect that PTFE safety scares are like most other scares: bogus.

Secondly, the coating of "non-stick" cookware is surely a minor fraction of all the industrial uses of PTFE. PTFE is not going to go away as a heavily used material in our lifetimes.

Thirdly, supposedly "non-stick" pans don't last. So I am not interested.

Fourthly, the care and feeding of cast iron is not a big hassle, despite some people's attempts to make it so. I have been using cast iron skillets all my life. If you use a small amount of oil (which is not going to hurt your health) and you know even a little bit about how to cook things, you will not have trouble avoiding sticking; and cleaning cast iron pans is not difficult (I use Palmolive and hot water and a plastic scrubber) and storage of them requires nothing more than to dry them off after washing.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:16 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
I don't have any non-stick pans. A little oil or butter is enough to keep food that would stick from sticking to my Calphalon Stainless. I use a dish brush to scrape off any really sticky spots, and put the pans in the dishwasher. They come out clean.

I find the question "Have you tried to give up Teflon?" to be phrased a little strangely. It's not like giving up smoking. Just give your Teflon pans away if you don't want to use them any more.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:44 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
I am using all non-stick skillets. It makes cooking a whole lot easier.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:54 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I am using all non-stick skillets. It makes cooking a whole lot easier.

How, exactly, would my cooking become "a whole lot easier" for using non-stick? The only thing I can think of is that I could put food in the skillet before the skillet is fully warm (roughly 30~50 seconds difference in time, which doesn't fall into "a whole lot easier"). When the pan is full warmed, food simply doesn't stick ~ so it's not like Cleanup would be easier either (nevermind that I can take to my pans with steel wool of I felt so inclined... I don't, the most abrasive thing in my kitchen is a blue scotch-brite pad).

I'm just curious, do the pans do prep-work now days? My old pans must have been old teck, or just plain lazy, they didn't make cooking any easier (actually, they were harder to cook with then what I have currently, for about the same price... mostly relating to single-ply vs tri-ply construction).

Old 05-21-2018, 06:06 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
No teflon.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:24 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,153 times
Quote:
Have any of you you made efforts to give up Teflon or the equivalent? Either for personal health or environmental health? I've been trying to use my Revereware more - but it's hard to resist the lure of non-stick. I keep thinking I should try cast iron, but it's so damn heavy.

I was thinking about it again after an Amy Goodman interview with Rob Billot:

EPA Doesn’t Want You to Know Chemicals in Teflon Are Poisoning Waterways & Firefighters
https://www.democracynow.org/2018/5/...nt_want_you_to

The Lawyer Who Became DuPont’s Worst Nightmare
Rob Bilott was a corporate defense attorney for eight years. Then he took on an environmental suit that would upend his entire career — and expose a brazen, decades-long history of chemical pollution.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/10/m...nightmare.html
Quit using it probably 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink