Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 12:27 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Maryland/Baltimore

Crabs - Steamed (not boiled), crab cakes, soft crabs, other crab dishes.

Corn, strawberries, melons. (Not unique to Maryland, but very high quality.)

Lake trout

Pit beef
I seem to remember pickled onions from Maryland? They tasted like cocktail onions but were the size of "boiling" onions. I was the only one of my siblings not born in MD and am a native Floridian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 12:48 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,032 times
Cawl (a type of stew), and Welsh Cakes (although I don’t like them).

Old 06-14-2018, 05:13 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Oh, how about lake perch from the Great Lakes? We’ve lived in NE Ohio, and also WI, and both had super good perch fish fries.

We even had our own pond in Ohio with lots of perch. Most of the time we released them, but once in awhile we cooked up a bunch. So good.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:42 PM

1,052 posts, read 798,573 times
San Diego: Carne Asada fries (french fries, carne asada, sour cream, guac, cilantro, pico de gallo, cheese) and a California burrito (~carne asada fries wrapped in a tortilla). I've not seen these anywhere but SD. Baja style fish tacos got their start in SD but are pretty ubiquitous nowadays.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:53 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
San Diego: Carne Asada fries (french fries, carne asada, sour cream, guac, cilantro, pico de gallo, cheese) and a California burrito (~carne asada fries wrapped in a tortilla). I've not seen these anywhere but SD. Baja style fish tacos got their start in SD but are pretty ubiquitous nowadays.
Don't forget the rolled tacos with guacamole and cheese. Boy do I miss those.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
If you're not from the PNW, you have never tasted fresh coho. OTOH, I have completely given up on ever finding a Philly Steak Sandwich in Oregon. Once upon a time we had a monopoly on good coffee, but things are slowly changing. I hear Stumptown has a roastery in NYC now, but the SW and Midwest is still a vast coffee desert. No, Starbucks is not good coffee. Mmm. Dungeness crab. Marionberries. PNW cuisine is based on a, "Don't screw it up," philosophy. Start with the finest ingredients in the world and don't over-season or over-cook. From a PNW perspective, Cajun seasoning is designed to cover up the taste of rotten meat or fish.

I'm quite aware that if you want decent lobster, go to New England. What constitutes decent pizza is a regional thing, but I really recommend avoiding Godawful's Pizza. Geoduck is a Puget Sound thing, but east coast clams taste better than west coast clams.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:49 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

This type of pizza is also found in CT. There was an Italian bakery in my town that made these pizza's, but they have since closed. In CT "grandma pizza" is also known as "box pizza" or "sunday pizza"

The origins behind "sunday pizza" is that italian bakeries that had left over dough would make pizzas out of it instead of throwing it away. And yes these pizzas were only available on Sundays.

Why only Sunday I have no idea, but perhaps it has something to do with church because it is also a tradition of a lot of Catholics to go to the bakery for bread after church on Sunday.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:59 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Chicken and waffles.
Shrimp and grits.
Asian restaurants that serve Chinese, thai, Japanese and Vietnamese food - all on one menu (sadly, they are ubiquitous and universally mediocre.)
Calabash fried shrimp, fish, oysters, etc
I loved the all you can eat calabash oysters in a Myrtle Beach seafood buffett.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:59 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
I see someone else mentioned the Florida Keys, but they forgot conch. Never seen it outside of Florida, but then again I haven't looked very hard.

There is also at least one restaurant in Central Delaware that served Muskrat. Don't think the restaurant is open any more and have no idea who or why someone came up with the idea of cooking Muskrat.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:12 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If you're not from the PNW, you have never tasted fresh coho. OTOH, I have completely given up on ever finding a Philly Steak Sandwich in Oregon. Once upon a time we had a monopoly on good coffee, but things are slowly changing. I hear Stumptown has a roastery in NYC now, but the SW and Midwest is still a vast coffee desert. No, Starbucks is not good coffee. Mmm. Dungeness crab. Marionberries. PNW cuisine is based on a, "Don't screw it up," philosophy. Start with the finest ingredients in the world and don't over-season or over-cook. From a PNW perspective, Cajun seasoning is designed to cover up the taste of rotten meat or fish.

I'm quite aware that if you want decent lobster, go to New England. What constitutes decent pizza is a regional thing, but I really recommend avoiding Godawful's Pizza. Geoduck is a Puget Sound thing, but east coast clams taste better than west coast clams.
Smoked salmon you smoke yourself from chum salmon fresh off the boat in the harbor in Puget Sound.

Morell mushrooms and hooligans (very small fish you net in salt water) dipped in flour and fried in oil.

Mussels, a type of seafood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink