Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:08 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times

Advertisements

Chicken and waffles.
Shrimp and grits.
Asian restaurants that serve Chinese, thai, Japanese and Vietnamese food - all on one menu (sadly, they are ubiquitous and universally mediocre.)
Calabash fried shrimp, fish, oysters, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 08:18 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
New Jersey is known for its breakfast sandwich of Taylor Ham (sometimes called pork roll and people in NJ actually argue over this, lol), cheese, and egg on a hard roll, usually with pickles and ketchup. It's really bad for you but very tasty.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...rsey/84238166/

The link shows variations on a bagel or an English muffin, but a hard roll is the classic way.

I personally haven't had one in years because I rarely eat meat anymore, but every once in a while I think I might still want to have one.

And of course NJ is known for it's tasty tomatoes, which everybody else has, but ours just has that rich, deep tomato flavor that's hard to find in tomatoes in other places. I think it's the toxic waste in our soil.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:22 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Chicken and waffles.
Shrimp and grits.
Asian restaurants that serve Chinese, thai, Japanese and Vietnamese food - all on one menu (sadly, they are ubiquitous and universally mediocre.)
Calabash fried shrimp, fish, oysters, etc
My daughter speaks Mandarin Chinese, and after returning from teaching English in China for a year, she needed a job while she figured out what to do next.

She got a job as a hostess in a Japanese restaurant because she could speak Mandarin to the staff, because most Japanese restaurants are owned by Chinese people, not Japanese people.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:25 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My son in law grew up in the Cincinnati area, and his mother made goetta, a loaf of oatmeal and sausage, which is sliced and fried like corn meal mush. It seems confined to that area of Ohio, same as Skyline chili.
I'm from Cincinnati as well, and was going to say goetta before you beat me to it. It's similar to scrapple, which is made from pork and cornmeal, but goetta's really only prevalent in a small area of Ohio and Northern Kentucky.

I'd never heard of pierogi before I moved to Pittsburgh, but that's not a regional food--they're wherever Eastern Europeans landed.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm from Cincinnati as well, and was going to say goetta before you beat me to it. It's similar to scrapple, which is made from pork and cornmeal, but goetta's really only prevalent in a small area of Ohio and Northern Kentucky.

I'd never heard of pierogi before I moved to Pittsburgh, but that's not a regional food--they're wherever Eastern Europeans landed.
We are hooked on goetta now. I wonder why it hasn’t spread to a larger area? I only use breakfast sausage to make it, but my daughter uses whatever she has, like venison, or ground beef in it.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:05 AM

765 posts, read 473,560 times
lol........ boy was i in for a culture shock moving to the south after living my entire life above the Mason Dixon Line.....

never ever heard of a hushpuppy. not once

up north, pimento cheese was that sickly orange Kraft 4 oz tiny glass bottle on the uppermost corner of the dairy case that spread more like a cream cheese....... who knew it was this chunky, rich mishmosh of who the heck knows what? All i knew was it was sheer heaven and i put on 10 pounds the first week here eating it!!!!!!

fat back. LOL!!!!! LOL!!!!! LOL!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

and need i mention barbecue sauce up north was a thick, dark red sweetish delicacy to die for????? not this thin soup of vinegar poured over a pig?????

Old 06-13-2018, 10:15 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,600,460 times
Devon pasty's.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:30 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Burgoo, hot browns, spoonbread, Ale8One, corn pudding.

Heart of the Bluegrass (well, hot browns originated in Louisville, but that's close enough).

Old 06-13-2018, 10:46 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Okra and collard greens in Georgia.
Tried them once. Just ONCE. I couldn't stand the smell of them and the taste was even worse. blech!

I question whether you have to be raised eating them? yes or no? or is it an "aquired" taste?

Old 06-13-2018, 10:50 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Butter tarts MMMMM!!! Award Winning Recipe: Award-Winning Butter Tarts Recipe - Genius Kitchen
(I don't like raisins in them. I put 1/2 cup chopped walnuts instead, and I like the filling gooey, not dry, so don't over bake)

Poutine- too fattening
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink