Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 10:06 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,246 times

Advertisements

i.e. How many different meals do you rotate through before you get back to the start of your "menu"?

I have oatmeal for breakfast almost every day (but many people tend to eat the same thing for breakfast)

Lunch is usually a peanut butter and chocolate chip sandwich with chips and baby carrots, whether I'm at work or off. Sometimes I have a hummus sandwich instead when I want savory instead of sweet.

Dinner is probably the most varied, but still not that much. I rotate between:
  • some kind of pasta
  • burritos or tacos
  • veggie burgers or fake chicken sandwiches
  • some kind of Asian inspired meal (stir fry, teriyaki, or a peanut sauce; either noodles or rice with vegetables (more rarely than the other meals)
  • a large salad on occasion when I feel like I haven't had enough vegetables (also rare)

That is probably 90% of my diet.

How many different meals do you cycle through?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 11:21 PM

61,723 posts, read 87,147,355 times
My diet is very varied. I don't think any two of my cooked meals are exactly the same.
I am also not picky and very adventurous eater. Would cook/try just about anything that is approved for human consumption. Also fond of ethnic cuisine - the real one, not Americanized.
I would have to think long and hard to tell you what I don't like or refuse to eat - if is cooked correctly (not burned, or excessively salted or sweetened).
At home, I don't have or ever had any set/predictive weekly menu. All my life I just cooked from ingredients already available at home, or decided about a meal when I went to the store.
There are no "typical" breakfast , lunch or dinner foods in my diet. I might eat leftover soup or dinner for breakfast, and scrambled eggs for dinner. Or whatever I feel like - typical or not.
All meals are savory, though. Leaving anything sweet, in miniscule amount, only for dessert.
Lots of raw vegetables and fruit. Little as possible commercially processed food.
I think that predictions, limitations and eating only few, personally approved foods, makes the whole experience boring and undesirable.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:21 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times
We are also very adventurous eaters, usually not having a dinner repeat in a 2 month period. Love trying new cuisines from around the world. Seafood is high on our list. I eat uni but the only salmon I'll eat is either smoked or gravlax. Our weekly grocery list is for dinner only. Leftovers are breakfast and/or lunch. We purchase very few processed items and dessert, if any, is homemade or we purchase ice cream/gelato.

Last edited by Dogboa; 08-08-2018 at 03:32 AM..

Old 08-08-2018, 03:48 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
We don't have a very adventurous diet at my house. I have a list of seven meals that I repeat every week. Several of the days, I have to cook two separate dinners because we can't all eat the same things. My oldest kiddo can't eat leftovers at all because she has a histamine intolerance. Everything I cook is from scratch. I do buy cheese that's already made, but that's about it. I get hives from the heat when I try to cook, so I try to cook things that don't require a lot of standing at the stove.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Well breakfast is very boring I guess. Not because we don't have a varied one but because I a certain thing I fix the same day each week: 2 morning cold cereal; poached eggs on tues, big breakfast on Sat; Mexican or something like that on Sunday and Friday we have bagels and cream cheese with Thursday being scrambled eggs. The rest of the week we eat so many different thing. Normally I do a menu after shopping and we do not repeat what we have for a few weeks, at least. There is very little I don't like and even spoiled brat will eat more of a variety than many men I am guessing. He just has a list of things he will not eat and it annoys me. but even our green salads have different ingredients every time we fix it. Well, not every time, but you know what I mean. You would think, at my age I would not be trying so many new recipes but I try one jsut about once a week.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:31 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
I flavor things differently, but the Majority of what's eaten comes down to a Protein (meat usually), veggies and then maybe some fats/carbs/etc for the flavor. In terms of recipes, I have hundreds. It's not uncommon for me to make a dish only once or twice a year. Even a favorite, like Pizza, is only 3 or maybe 4 times a year. When I'm going through recipes while doing my weekly meal planning, I will frequently come across something that I remember being really good, but not when I last had/made it. I like that I get to rediscover meals like this, things I *know* are good.

Absolutely no routine, no "themed" nights/meals. About the closest I come to that is cooking the same protein a little too frequently, which I've apparently done with chicken lately as my wife started moaning about it the other day.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:46 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
My diet is always different, we rarely make the same recipe twice, and even when we do, it is different each time. We rotate everything, from type of protein, oils, veggies and spices.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-08-2018, 08:43 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
The basic food groups, meat, chocolate, ice cream, pizza.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:54 AM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Pretty varied with a few staple faves thrown into the mix. I cook Turkish and Indian recipes,and since finding a good Asian market trying out new produce and stir fry. I have to be cautious and figure out how to make them paleo ,so my days of cooking chappatis and eating rice is slimmed down considerably.
My Brit fav dishes are on hold.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:59 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Very varied. I don't have menus on rotation. We like new things.

In the summer I frequently have fruit for breakfast. In the colder months, oatmeal, cinnamon and fruit. Or a smoothie with kale and berries. Yummy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink