Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 03:40 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times

Advertisements

Me too. I love making beef, pork and lamb roasts. Even a simple roasted chicken is delicious. Not to mention cassoulet and the like.

I hate turning on the oven when it's above 75 outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 04:41 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,389,618 times
Last week while shopping I looked at the bone-in short ribs thinking "it's too hot to fire up the oven".
But football season is coming and with it cooler weather. I'm ready!!

Old 08-15-2018, 04:43 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
It won't cool much where I am but I am looking forward to soups, beef stew, pumpkin chili, a big pan of lasagna, roast chicken and lots of baking. I love homemade bread with soups like pasta fagioli. Split pea is another good one. I also want to try making bread bowls with broccoli and cheese soup this year. Yum.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:55 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I scored a big bunch of stew beef last week. It will still be a looong time til fall hits in coastal GA.
It is funny how my northern internal clock has never caught up to the GA climate. In September I will deck my halls for fall, regardless of the temperature. I pass on chrisanthamums because my summer plants hang in until thanksgiving or longer. Long about December 1, I think, OMG, how can it almost be Christmas when it’s stil 70 degrees outside?

Old 08-15-2018, 05:04 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I pass on chrisanthamums because my summer plants hang in until thanksgiving or longer. Long about December 1, I think, OMG, how can it almost be Christmas when it’s stil 70 degrees outside?
I have a beautiful pot of crysthanthemums from last fall! I often keep them alive 2-3 years in the North Texas climate. Of course you have to dead head them to encourage new flowers, which can be a pain.

We have real winter here, but there will be warm days or weeks too. We get just enough snow to enjoy it, but not enough to "deal" with it. The worst winter climate here is ice storms which make driving very dangerous.

I'd have to freeze that chunk of stew meat, I just can't bear to cook it while it's still in the 90's.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:45 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I've a hankering for a big dish of Italian sausage lasagna, elk stew with dumplings, stuffed cabbage rolls with onion bread, a simmer-all-day pasta sauce with meatballs, pot roast, ham and navy bean soup, ribs, 'kraut and mashed potatoes, meat loaf.

Oatmeal, walnut, raisin bars, chocolate chip cookies, apple pie, peach pie, carrot cake, cinnamon bread pudding with caramel sauce.

And all the various favorite rice, noodle or barley based dishes we Midwesterners call "hotdish."

A trick of my dad's - when he did a beef roast he also put in a pork roast for the absolutely best gravy in the world. That! I'm hungry for that on top of a pile of mashed Yukon gold potatoes. My garden-fed tummy is telling me it's definitely time to start eating more protein,fat and carbs before winter is at our door.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:00 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Funny, I was just thinking about fall/winter cooking yesterday. Looking forward to soups of all varieties. I tend to make enough for 3 days of lunches and dinners for the two of us. Growing up in big family does that. I love not having to think about dinner for a few days.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:04 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Yes...homemade soups light,
French onion, chicken and pasta, minestrone
and those heavy enough for a meal,
potato with havarti and caraway, thick carrot with cashews, vegetable chocked full of veggies...Vegetarian chili.

Spaghetti marinara with tomatoes, sauce, red wine, olive paste, butter, pinch of sugar.
Heavy pasta dishes, stuffed manicotti, roasted lasagna with goat cheese, spinach, onions, mushrooms.

Likely start mid October... Can't wait for cool weather...
and less rain in fall too.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:04 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Love the smell of comfort foods in the house- roasting chicken, turkey pork roasts, beef roasts....corned beef hams...

if they made air fresheners that smelled like prime rib roast cooking....or turkey cooking...id buy it

Old 08-15-2018, 08:25 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
That's kind of a tough question. A pot of soup or stew simmering on a snowy day is comfort food for the soul, but the flavors of summer are wonderful, too. If I could get really good tomatoes, peaches, and sweet corn in December, I would be one happy camper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink