Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 11:54 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,827 times

Advertisements

Green bean casserole.......in Texas?

These must be recent transplants mucking our google searches up. A native Texan should be looking up recipes for collard greens, menudo, tamales, cajun fried turkey etc. Green bean casserole....that's Nebraska food lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 04:51 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Green bean casserole. Ick. Don't get me wrong, I love green beans, but there is nothing appealing to me about that abomination called green bean casserole.
i agree i use to try to give it to the dog and she would spit it out...

in my high school writing class one assignment was writing a short story a Stephen king-ish style (theme)
mine was of a tiny touristy town in maine called "casserole" and the most popular restaurant specialized in all things...green bean casseroles.... and the secret ingredient was not known but always asked- it was road kills.... from skunks to deer to raccoons and squirrels...and porcupines...
and the food would make the diners go mad...reliving the horror of that particular animal getting hit by vehicles in the road....in their dreams.. and it would haunt them for decades.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Green bean casserole. Ick. Don't get me wrong, I love green beans, but there is nothing appealing to me about that abomination called green bean casserole.
Man do we agree on this one. The interesting thing is I love other green beans and sauces using cream of mushroom soup, but I have never seen the attraction to green bean casserole.

As for these "favorite" articles they are pretty much just an figment of someone's imagine if you ask me, but no one asked me and they are fun!!!!

Oh and as for deviled eggs, we were discussing this the other day. They are awesome if fixed right, but for Thanksgiving dinner: until recently I had never heard of them served on Turkey day. We have lived here in AR for almost 11 years, raised in Ca, lived in VA, TX, Co and NM> guess somewhere along the way I missed them as a Turkey day treat. We always had them for Easter and as an appetizer other times of the year.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:15 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Oh, Idaho. You made me LOL. Just dissolve and dump, Gang.

MN here. Chef Daughter brought a green bean casserole with beans from her garden, a homemade morel mushroom sauce and topped with onion crisps she made herself. It just didn't have that from-the-can taste I remember so well.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:03 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,538,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Maine writer, do they still say “squash pie” up they-ah?
Only if it's made with squash! There's a difference, you know. One Pie makes Squash and Pumpkin. The biggest difference is the color, tastes about the same.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Green bean casserole.......in Texas?

These must be recent transplants mucking our google searches up. A native Texan should be looking up recipes for collard greens, menudo, tamales, cajun fried turkey etc. Green bean casserole....that's Nebraska food lol!
I have to agree on this. That really surprised me. However, I have lots of family roots in Louisiana and I agree wholeheartedly on the cornbread dressing search. Many of our moms, grandmothers, etc used to make this delicious concoction but didn't write it down. I finally sat with my MIL and wrote down every single ingredient and step she took and WOW, is that recipe to die for. I gave it out to family several years in a row and everyone was very appreciative.

It's old, old school - the recipe I wrote down goes back to at least the mid 1800s in Louisiana - well actually the Ark-La-Tex region which is where both our families came from.

We never served green bean casserole till my son in law from Iowa joined our family. It is a family tradition for him - that and lots of corn based recipes.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:04 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times
Colorado - green bean casserole? EW. Now Arkansas - pecan pie YUM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink