Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 07:34 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
"Organic" is such a loosely used term, I'm not interested in paying extra for a product claimed to be organic.

great post!!

we have a couple stores in the touristy areas and sell lobsters -in a lobster tank
5 yrs ago I started putting on the sign-wild-caught , local, organic, free range, sustainable, cage free LOBSTERS and many have commented these lobsters are much better tasting than the "old conventional" lobsters we use to sell

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 08:25 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
great post!!

we have a couple stores in the touristy areas and sell lobsters -in a lobster tank
5 yrs ago I started putting on the sign-wild-caught , local, organic, free range, sustainable, cage free LOBSTERS and many have commented these lobsters are much better tasting than the "old conventional" lobsters we use to sell

What a hoot! Can't rep you again.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:58 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Commercially produced egg quality can't be determined by yolk color. The chickens are fed supplements that change the yolk color, such as this one: https://nutrition.basf.com/en/Animal...antin-Red.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I can definitely tell the difference with eggs. The ones we buy from a local farmer have yolks that are oranger and stand up more, less likely to break when frying or separating them.

I scramble my eggs in a double boiler. The farm eggs taste richer to me.

Because her chickens don't lay great in the winter, we use store bought eggs. It's not a huge deal, but we can tell the difference. When I do scrambled eggs, someone always asks, "Are these store eggs?"

I can also tell the difference with chickens. The chickens we get from her taste more "chickeny."

Her chickens roam around eating bugs and weeds, so that might make the difference. Hard to say.

She doesn't say anything about organic, but the eggs I buy in the grocery store say organic.
Its the carotine they get from the bugs and whatnot as much as anything else. I figured this out when my Chickens started laying again in mid-January. They didn't have the same bugs around to eat and the ground was frozen, so they just ate chicken feed and therefore had yellow-er eggs. Still fresh though.

The chickens you buy from her are likely roosters from her laying flock, not as fast growing as broiler mixes and therefore taste more "chickeny."

Old 02-04-2019, 09:21 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Organic, inorganic, makes not a drop of difference in food unless you are a person who believes in only eating organic, in which case you pay the higher price and are happy.

There is a lot of difference between home raised fruit and veggies and store bought. It makes no difference whether one or the other is organic. The difference is that the home raised is fully ripe and is often a better tasting variety that isn't used commercially because it doesn't ship well.

My home raised meat is better than store bought because I raise it differently, feed it differently, and butcher it differently. Organic or not makes no difference in the quality. What makes the difference is that I spare no expense to make it the very best tasting. I don't economize on feed, or care, or medication because it is going to feed my family, not some total stranger 3 states over that I will never meet.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:42 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Organic, inorganic, makes not a drop of difference in food unless you are a person who believes in only eating organic, in which case you pay the higher price and are happy.

There is a lot of difference between home raised fruit and veggies and store bought. It makes no difference whether one or the other is organic. The difference is that the home raised is fully ripe and is often a better tasting variety that isn't used commercially because it doesn't ship well.
RE the bolded...Reminds me of my Tomatoes. I can grow the common store bought varieties with ease. The heirloom varieties are much harder to bring to harvest. Not nearly as hardy or resistant to pests or heat or anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink