Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 02:00 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
My memory says that Arby's doesn't taste the same as it did 40 years ago. I used to think it was pretty good, but not so much lately. What do you remember?
Nothing coming out of a fast food joint tastes the same as it did 40 or 50 years ago. McDs used to be real hamburgers. I don't know what they are now but they bear not even a passing resemblance to actual hamburgers, even AFTER they were forced to stop using pink slime in them. I'm sure they now use whatever the next worse thing to pink slime that is still allowed to be passed off as fit for human consumption.

Arbies do not even faintly resemble what they used to be. They used to be ACTUAL ROAST BEEF, after all, and now they are some kind of bologna-like amalgamation of bits and bots.

Stake 'n Shake is a franchise I've only had experience with over the past 25 years or so, until I moved away from the areas where they had them. In the last couple of years they've opened one up near me and I got all excited. NOPE. I don't know if this is franchise wide, or just the one here, but the burgers there are so thin I can literally see light through them and look like they were pounded out flat with a meat mallet. The patties actually have holes in them, just like those veal patties used to have after I'd pounded the crap out of them prior to breading them back in the day 50 years ago when people still did that sort of thing for themselves (as opposed to buying them frozen and prebreaded).

You can't even buy a decent ham anymore unless you've got well over $100. They're a boutique item now. The stuff in the grocery has been adulterated to just this side of making it obvious it's an ugly bag of mostly water. Well its obvious to ME at least. Apparently not most of the rest of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 03:40 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Steak 'n Shake is a franchise I've only had experience with over the past 25 years or so, until I moved away from the areas where they had them. In the last couple of years they've opened one up near me and I got all excited. NOPE. I don't know if this is franchise wide, or just the one here, but the burgers there are so thin I can literally see light through them and look like they were pounded out flat with a meat mallet. The patties actually have holes in them, just like those veal patties used to have after I'd pounded the crap out of them prior to breading them back in the day 50 years ago when people still did that sort of thing for themselves (as opposed to buying them frozen and prebreaded)
That's why I eat 7 of them when I go there.
With 7 pieces of cheese and no bun.
Delicious!

Old 01-29-2019, 03:45 PM

857 posts, read 843,628 times
Even Arby's commercials lately seem to me, be full of pale looking, unappetizing sandwiches. They may have the meats, but i just dont get tempted even by their best prestaged (on TV) sandwiches.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:56 PM

6,409 posts, read 4,901,771 times
Here is a PDF of their ingredients from Arbys own site:

http://cds.arbys.com/pdfs/nutrition/...grdnts_AUG.pdf

Old 01-29-2019, 04:25 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Nothing coming out of a fast food joint tastes the same as it did 40 or 50 years ago. McDs used to be real hamburgers. I don't know what they are now but they bear not even a passing resemblance to actual hamburgers, even AFTER they were forced to stop using pink slime in them. I'm sure they now use whatever the next worse thing to pink slime that is still allowed to be passed off as fit for human consumption.

Arbies do not even faintly resemble what they used to be. They used to be ACTUAL ROAST BEEF, after all, and now they are some kind of bologna-like amalgamation of bits and bots.

Stake 'n Shake is a franchise I've only had experience with over the past 25 years or so, until I moved away from the areas where they had them. In the last couple of years they've opened one up near me and I got all excited. NOPE. I don't know if this is franchise wide, or just the one here, but the burgers there are so thin I can literally see light through them and look like they were pounded out flat with a meat mallet. The patties actually have holes in them, just like those veal patties used to have after I'd pounded the crap out of them prior to breading them back in the day 50 years ago when people still did that sort of thing for themselves (as opposed to buying them frozen and prebreaded).

You can't even buy a decent ham anymore unless you've got well over $100. They're a boutique item now. The stuff in the grocery has been adulterated to just this side of making it obvious it's an ugly bag of mostly water. Well its obvious to ME at least. Apparently not most of the rest of the country.
Sounds like your only option is to become vegetarian...

Old 01-29-2019, 09:05 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,254,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempratt View Post
I have a love for Arby's Classic Roast Beef sandwiches but have always been curious as to it actually is made up of.

It doesn't look anything like other roast beef.
I used to work with a guy who worked at a processing plant that supplied Arby’s. He said he would never eat at Arby’s and I shouldn’t either. So i don’t know what it is, and I never bothered to ask him specifics, but I do eat there a couple of times a year in spite of his warnings.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:33 PM

22,461 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I remember when arby's had actual real roast beef. not the processed crap they serve now.
Yes, I remember this, too! They used to have a roast cooked rare and when someone ordered a roast beef sandwich, they would slice pieces off the roast. That was a good sandwich! Somewhere along the line, they switched to the cheap stuff and it isn't the same anymore.

If anyone remembers Roy Rogers' places (We actually still have a few of them around in the area where we live). They originally served freshly sliced roast beef. Then, at one point, they started serving the cheap stuff like Arby's. Once the remaining Roy Rogers became individually owned places, they went back to real roast beef---what a difference!

Old 01-29-2019, 10:05 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
It's beef roast that is partially pre-cooked and has been infused with a beef broth-water-brine.
Arby's puts the final cook on them in-store.

Anyone can buy them whole at any big store deli counter, but I'm sure Arby's has their own processors and uses their own techniques. The reason why the meat looks gray is due to the water in the meat, and the water's there so the meat doesn't dry out as it's carved and put in sandwiches. The brine also tenderizes the meat to a soft consistency, and the thin slices make it look like there's more meat than there actually is.

Put it all together, and even though their roasts are pretty much just the same as the roasts that are being hand-carved in a buffet restaurant, Arby's looks and tastes different.

In a buffet, the same roasts are under red heat lamps, carved thicker, and can be carved for cuts on the outside, which are more well-done than in the middle. Since the eyes lead the brain, when food looks more appetizing, we think is is more appetizing.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:30 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I remember when arby's had actual real roast beef. not the processed crap they serve now.
Me too. The roast beef hung and turned over a rotisserie in view of the customers.

Im not a roast beef fan, but I love their Greek Gyro, and their sadwiches. The used to have the best BLT ever.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:53 AM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:

McDonalds calls the Big Mac a sandwich as does Burger King and their whopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink