Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 05:17 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times

Advertisements

Never knew Starbucks was gourmet coffee. Do Dunkin would be gourmet too?

Old 02-01-2019, 05:54 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Starbucks is gourmet?

I've been grinding my own beans since the early 80s if that is what you are asking.

Earlier, anyone living in close proximity to a large, metropolitan city probably had access to beans that weren't mainstream.
Not sure what the OP wants to discover - but I discovered fresh-roasted and fresh-ground coffee in the early 70's, in, guess where, Seattle. Starbuck's had two stores, and they were not even on my list of favorite roasters. I wish I'd bought stock back then. Especially because Redmond was just down the road, and it was only a few years later they had an upstart software company.

But back to coffee, and forget about missed opportunities - prior to the early 70's, I don't think there WERE any custom, small batch, roasters doing business in the US. It was very much something that grew out of that time. The baby-boomers were just discovering "gourmet".

On second thought, digging thru memories, I actually got turned on to grind-your-own fresh roasted coffee while working in Bend, OR, before I moved to Seattle, a year or two later. Which means that San Francisco probably had a slight edge on Seattle in developing this phenom. Because the person I learned about it from was out of San Francisco. But it was all new stuff back then. Maxwell House was what coffee meant, or Folger's. Etc. A&P had grind your own, but most people didn't care - and those beans would not have been all that fresh anyway.

Last edited by hiero2; 02-01-2019 at 06:03 PM..

Old 02-02-2019, 06:50 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OH, now that is good coffee. A friend of mine got married in Jamaica and brought some back for me.
Oh, I agree! I won’t drink anything else and will travel with my
own stash when needed. Lol People used to laugh until they tried it.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:37 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I've always preferred hot tea over coffee. Occasionally I change it up and have a cup of coffee. Usually Folgers instant. LOL. I'm far from a coffee connoisseur.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:44 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Seattle coffees were the first to capture my attention and turn me into a coffee lover....and imports from Costa Rica etc.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think I have only been in a Starbucks two times at most. I haven’t bought their coffee off the shelf in several years. Is even their Veranda light roast coffee burnt?
I have never had their Veranda. But I can tell you that their decaf beans are quite good. I wish I felt I could afford them for every day.

Another blend of coffee I like is Peet's Major Dickason. I like its flavor. Again, I don't feel I can afford it for everyday.

I've already mentioned my favorite coffee from Cannon Beach, OR.

Surely there is a great coffee roaster in Maine that you could support?

Old 02-02-2019, 04:45 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have never had their Veranda. But I can tell you that their decaf beans are quite good. I wish I felt I could afford them for every day.

Another blend of coffee I like is Peet's Major Dickason. I like its flavor. Again, I don't feel I can afford it for everyday.

I've already mentioned my favorite coffee from Cannon Beach, OR.

Surely there is a great coffee roaster in Maine that you could support?
I’m from Mississippi.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:48 PM

33,332 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This. But wasn’t Peets also around Seattle about the time Starbucks was starting up? Back in the day, the ancestor of Panera, St. Louis Bread, served Peet’s coffee.

I’ve only been grinding beans for about 20 years or so. But I’ve always bought supermarket beans. If memory serves, I could get several brands of bagged ground coffee and fewer sorts of beans.

I like Starbucks Americanos and lattes. I don’t care for the sweet stuff.

My favorite roasts are done by Sleepy Monk in Cannon Beach, OR. That’s my fave. When we visit there, we come home with one or two bags of their coffee.
No. Starbucks started in 1971, and by 1984 Peet's locations (all four of them) were still limited to the SF Bay Area.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:54 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,070,474 times
Kinda o/t

My mother used to make my dad iced coffee way back when...long before it became available in stores.
1960s-70s.
She'd just make a big pitcher of it, and leave it in the fridge for those hot summer days. ( wth milk and sugar)
I dont think he drank hot coffee...

Old 02-02-2019, 07:30 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's all about taste palate. Americans aren't known for their appreciation of the bitter end of the spectrum with anything, instead typically resulting in over-sweetened/sugared or simply more plain. Examples include coffee roasting (Starbucks as pointed out) liqueurs (Campari, Pimms Cup, varying Bitters), produce (fennel, radicchio, arugula, endive, escarole) baked goods and even chocolate.
That's interesting. Italian is my favorite roast and I love Campari, but I don't love Starbucks at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink