Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 09:48 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
prime rib roast is a generalized term ...a true prime rib roast is prime grade..

but most will call a rib eye roast whether bone in or boneless a prime rib roast particularly around Christmas...
ive cut thousands thru the years ..

an English cut roast is a chuck shoulder roast.....also known as a shoulder roast in the u.s. ...this is not a prime rib roast...
if using a topside roast (british) this is a leaner round roast slow cooked

a rib eye.....a Delmonico , a cowboy steak....a tomahawk steak...…..are all rib eye steaks...yes some regional tendencies of which one is boneless or bone in ….but they are all rib eye steaks..

the rib has 7 bones weighs about 22lbs (bone in) 12-14lbs boneless) and it is located along the backbone between the chuck.... (connects to the chuck eye) and the other end connects to the short loin or sirloin strip)

description of steaks can be confusing .
So english sunday roasts are shoulder? What is the exact name of cut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 04:10 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

English sunday roast -google it ...its not used in the northeast u.s. but the English roast I have had requests for and cut a shoulder roast from the chuck shoulder clod..

if you google sunday English roast that's a generalized term ...and all the pictures I saw was mostly a top round roast or a round tip roast from the knuckle.....these are lean and slow cooked .
this is more regional..

its like someone asking for a London broil...… it can be over 3 different steaks depending on region.... technically a London broil is more a cooking method than an actual name of a steak..
but their are regional preferences.... in the northeast a London broil is a shoulder arm steak and can also be a top round steak.... if you google...the original London broil...its a flank steak
which seems out of the norm of a thicker cut steak....but again after its cooked sliced thinly against the grain..

a woman I dated … used the term "roast beef roast" because that's what her family did.....and to me its like saying "wood" it can mean 20 different things.....but in her perspective it was any leaner roast slow-cooked and falling apart usually for a weekend meal..

lots of terms are regional and generalized...

URMIS was set up in 1974 as a uniform meat identity guide for the u.s. so a rib eye steak in California was also a rib eye steak in maine….
but again there are regional preferences...
I was asked for a "chicken" steak 20 years ago and didn't know what it was......a southern gal in the deli said she meant chicken fried steak …….which is beef cube steak … placed in milk or egg wash and rolled in flour and fried

it does get confusing....even more so in other countries.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:52 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,483 times
"The primal is called the 7 bone rib, the 4 long bones from the loin end are called the prime rib, typically used for bone in steaks and ribeye steaks because the muscle, along with the bone is longer. The 3 shorter bone section from the chuck end is the standing rib, more suited for premium oven roasts as it is more heavily marbled. That said the meat is equally tender throughout with heavier pockets of fat developing towards the standing rib section, so the whole seven bone section can be cut for either steaks or roasts with fat content being the only difference."

Author unknown

Old 04-20-2019, 11:29 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
My mother was from England. Whatever you buy on Saturday and roast on Sunday is the roast. It depended upon how much money you had.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:54 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My mother was from England. Whatever you buy on Saturday and roast on Sunday is the roast. It depended upon how much money you had.
thank you for offering this....that's what I found on my search

Old 01-24-2022, 07:59 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times
Default How to select best rib roast (prime rib) piece

I hope to get some tips on how to pick the best piece of rib roast (prime rib).

The last piece of rib roast that I bought, was labeled as Choice grade. It was on sale for only $9 per pound, bone-in. I thought it was very cheap; but then it had a lot of fat; two big chunks. Is this what made it a Choice grade? I don't know, but we only eat a fraction of that fat; meaning most fat was discarded. In totality I felt it was not a good deal.

Today I bought this piece of rib roast. It is $11 per pound bone-in; meat grade unknown, but as you can see it is mostly lean meat. I feel this is a much better piece than the last one, because most of it is eatable meat. In my experience, fat or not, all the prime rib I had roasted were tender and delicious.

What do you think about this piece? Do you have any tips for picking prime rib meat?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Prime rib 0125c.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	234447

Old 01-25-2022, 09:50 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
So the whole Prime/Choice/Select grades are based on striation, or marbling, of fat. The higher the grade, the more abundant the fat marbling is. I believe the USDA graders focus on the area between the 12th and 13th rib to make their determination.

Those fat "pockets" like the one in your picture towards the right side of your cut varies between roasts, some are more prominent, some have very little. The fat that determines the grade of your beef is the fat that is throughout the muscle tissue, called marbling or striation. The more abundant the striation, the more flavorful and tender your roast will be.

It's deceiving to look at your specific cut of rib and see it as "Mostly lean meat." even if you were to trim off all visible fat before cooking, you'll still have an oil slick of saturated fat left over on your plate and your cooking vessel, because it is indeed filled with fat. That's what makes it taste so good, and why this cut is prized the most out of the entire beef.

I hope mainebrokerman can share his expertise on this!

Old 01-25-2022, 11:35 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I second the call to Mainebrokerman.

Personally, that looks more like a rib eye steak than a roast to me. Everyone seems to have discovered rib eye and the variations, and price has gone up accordingly. If shopping, I'd be like DontH8Me and looking for more striations of fat that are smaller, rather than big chunks. I had great luck with the Mexican rib primals, which can be tough when cut as a flat on the grate steak, but are excellent when cooked sous vide. My cost on those three or four years back was $4/lb - boneless. I bought four and spent some serious $$$, then bubblewrapped them in the freezer. I need to thaw half of one this week and portion it out. I need more room for hens when there is a sale. Prices on them have gone crazy.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:56 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times
I intend to cook this on Saturday. Today is Tuesday. Should I leave it in fridge until Saturday, or should I freeze it now and thaw it 1-2 days before?

Old 01-26-2022, 08:53 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I generally figure about four days on fresh cut as fine without off flavor. You may be at the hairy edge, so freezing would be a little safer.

FWIW, bacteria would be most active on the outside of the solid cut of meat, and that is overcooked in normal grilling, so IME food safety is less an issue than off flavors for as much as a week - except poultry. Brining or marinating also cuts any bacterial activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink