Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you butter your bread for a sandwich?
Butter plain or flavored 17 20.73%
Margarine or other fat (mayo, olive oil...) 21 25.61%
Dairy spread (brie, cream cheese... ) 0 0%
Veggie spread (avocado, hummus, ajvar, bean dip...) 4 4.88%
Other (marmite, vegemite, mustard, sauce...) 11 13.41%
Dry bread 29 35.37%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 09:37 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

This poll is about a sandwich (open face or regular) - NOT bread & butter, biscuit, muffin, toast etc.
I would like to know because, I just read that (most) Americans don't put butter on their sandwich.
Where I come from everyone puts butter on their sandwich - open face (most popular) or regular. Even on a sandwich with mayo type salad on it. It's pretty much unheard to eat dry bread with topping on it.
I would have to be very desperate to eat dry bread with toppings and I would dislike it, no matter what's on the top

What do you do? Would you care to elaborate?

Last edited by elnina; 06-01-2019 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 10:34 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Well, I can't really do the poll since I can only pick one, but No, I don't use butter unless it's a grilled sandwich or a pickle and onion sandwich. Generally it's some type of mustard, mayo, or veggie spread. I've never actually heard of people using butter as an all purpose type of sandwich spread/condiment before.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:52 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
If I am making a very plain sandwich, such as cheese OR Ham, then I will use butter, if I am adding lettice, tomatoes & other veggies, then I will use mayo. Or avocado if I need to use up a ripe one. One deli I used to go to, offered sandwiches "European style" which meant no mayo, just butter. So mine varies, depending on what I am putting between the bread & also what I need to use up.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:10 AM

73 posts, read 45,250 times
My wife's family butters their sandwiches. My family uses mayonnaise on their sandwiches. I sometimes like a plain sandwich of just sourdough bread, honey ham, and swiss cheese; and it has to be good sourdough bread that is chewy with a tang.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:12 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
not if other condiments....flavors are going on the bread..

however ...butter now is very good for us so I melt butter on meats and even some green veggies...

Old 06-01-2019, 11:17 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This poll is about a sandwich (open face or regular) - NOT bread & butter, biscuit, muffin, toast etc.
I would like to know because, I just read that (most) Americans don't put butter on their sandwich.
Where I come from everyone puts butter on their sandwich - open face (most popular) or regular. Even on a sandwich with mayo type salad on it. It's pretty much unheard to eat dry bread with topping on it.
I would have to be very desperate to eat dry bread with toppings and I would dislike it, no matter what's on the top

What do you do? Would you care to elaborate?
I grew up with butter on sandwiches (actually margarine) but I didn't eat straight mayonnaise until I was an adult (meaning I ate it in tuna or chicken salad, but not as a sandwich spread). However, when making something like a peanut butter sandwich, I didn't put butter on it. That would have been superfluous. Of course when we got older and cholesterol became a known thing, it made sense not to put butter on sandwiches, and by then I would only use real butter, not margarine.

So, I was shocked when I met my last S.O. and he put butter on every sandwich whether peanut butter was going on next or mayonnaise. I thought what he gave me was the best peanut butter toast I'd ever had, and it turned out he was using a crappy sugar-added brand like Skippy or Jif instead of a natural peanut butter, but that he'd put butter on first and that's why it tasted so good.

It's tastier that way, but it adds a lot of extra calories.

I can still see my mother 50 years ago with all the slices of bread laid out in the morning on the kitchen table as she buttered the bread and then made sandwiches for my father and us seven kids.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:22 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Never butter or mayo. Occasionally mustard, depending on other ingredients.

I find that once you add lettuce, tomato, onion, peppers, pickles, Tabasco, and/or salsa, there is no need for butter.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:44 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I butter my sandwich on the outside if I am making a grilled cheese sandwich. I use dairy butter.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:45 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
Butter only on fresh sliced chicken or turkey or onion sandwich.
Plenty of mustard on the bread for other sandwiches although I don't often eat sandwiches.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:01 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I don't eat sandwiches anymore, but when I did, I ate pretty boring sandwiches. Usually meat and cheese. No condiments. I've never been much of a condiment person.

My father however used to slather the butter on thick. But he loooooved butter. Could eat it straight out of the butter dish, if my mother wouldn't have fussed at him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink