Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:47 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times

Advertisements

rouladen with bohmische knodel, spaetzle, the aforementioned potato pancakes, the curry ketchup the OP mentioned (I have a half-full bottle at home in the fridge right now from my last shopping spree at the Euro food mart), so many hearty, tasty things I could list - good thread!

Let's not forget - from Kennedy's famous speech - the Berliner. Although, I much prefer the bienenstich.

Last edited by DontH8Me; 04-14-2008 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: almost forgot dessert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 12:51 PM

346 posts, read 445,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
rouladen with bohmische knodel, spaetzle, the aforementioned potato pancakes, the curry ketchup the OP mentioned (I have a half-full bottle at home in the fridge right now from my last shopping spree at the Euro food mart), so many hearty, tasty things I could list - good thread!
Sometimes I just add curry powder to regular ketchup if I don't have a bottle of currry ketchup on hand. Works in a pinch. Good with Kielbasa.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:01 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger500 View Post
Sometimes I just add curry powder to regular ketchup if I don't have a bottle of currry ketchup on hand. Works in a pinch. Good with Kielbasa.
Yeah but domestic (US) ketchup is like 99% high fructose corn syrup - never touch the stuff personally.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:06 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,650,253 times
My dad thinks I'm a complete weirdo but I actually quite like sauerkraut.

Also you can't beat bratwurst. Mmmmm, yummy.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:08 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,952 times
When I lived on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, Yorktown (German town) I used to get this great stuff Underberg an after dinner drink in tiny bottles for that full feeling you get when they bring the cold cut platter after the main meal that's Bavarian I think. Otherwise I always liked the potato pancake. Not much left of that world up there. But that stuff really works.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:09 PM

346 posts, read 445,846 times
Quote:
Yeah but domestic (US) ketchup is like 99% high fructose corn syrup - never touch the stuff personally.
Oh, I just checked out Euro Food Mart and they have a awesome selection of German ketchups. Good tip. Ketchup world is pretty good too.

Ketchup World

Old 04-14-2008, 04:04 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
When I lived on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, Yorktown (German town) I used to get this great stuff Underberg an after dinner drink in tiny bottles for that full feeling you get when they bring the cold cut platter after the main meal that's Bavarian I think. Otherwise I always liked the potato pancake. Not much left of that world up there. But that stuff really works.
Jaegermeister also comes in small bottles as an after dinner drink to help digestion. In America I've noticed that Jaegermeister is promoted as a mixed drink, something I've never seen in Germany. It tastes great from the bottle without any additives. Zum Wohl!

Old 04-14-2008, 05:14 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,952 times
Defiantly not the same... Jaegermeister Underburg not an advertisement lol

Old 04-14-2008, 10:53 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
Quote:
Let's not forget - from Kennedy's famous speech - the Berliner. Although, I much prefer the bienenstich.
I doubt if many people in the US ever realized that JFK actually called himself a jelly donut in that famous speech, instead of proclaiming himself a citizen of Berlin. I like a lot of those goodies too, but they would give me a carb attack for sure. Pflaumenkuchen (plum tarts) anyone?

I lived in Germany for nearly 4 years in the 1970s when I was in the US Army near the former inter-German border area about 100 km east of Frankfurt. The rural Rhoen mountain area that I lived in was home to countless Bavarian gasthaus eateries, and I sampled a good number of them!

One item I have never seen here in the US was served at Oktoberfest and festivals in other parts of Germany, roast oxen! I guess it takes a few liters of beer to wash down that heavy stuff.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:48 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
I hate to say it, but my favorite German foods are bratwurst and schnitzel. I guess that's like saying "my favorite Mexican food is tacos", but oh well. I've been to a couple German restaurants and pretty much liked whatever I've had but I'm not too familiar with a lot of dishes from Germany. I really like learning about that culture though, I took up to German 5 in high school and still try to keep up with some German music and stuff like that here and there. I hope to visit there within the next couple of years.

One thing I do make fairly often is what I call "German stir fry". I cut up some brats, potatoes, onions and cabbage, throw on a little paprika and fry it up. It's good, quick and easy to make.

I would like to hear some good German recipes if anyone has some to share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink