Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 08:10 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,313,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Maybe you'll have luck with the supermarkets for a good quality cut - but I was suggesting looking around town for a specialty butcher shop where all they do is meats.

For leftovers in my family it's usually a repeat dinner #2 using the (gasp) microwave, or cold sandwiches or a hot sandwich on a roll with grilled onions, melted cheese, maybe some horseradish.

Omelets are *killer* with diced roast beef, green onion & tomato, cheddar cheese.

Even quesadillas with diced roast beef and cheese are good with fresh salsa & guacamole.
I see what you were referring to. In this day and age, butcher shops seem very hard to find. I have lived in my current location for 30 years, and I don't know of such shop around. I would have to google.

The next day kids wanted to eat the leftover for lunch. I microwaved it, and baked potato to go with it. The meat was still great to eat! Flavor is still there, just that meat is further cooked a bit but still pink. Very much like sandwich meat at the deli shop.

Baked potato turned out well also. Salt & pepper, butter, Mexian style cheese mix, and sour cream on top. They taste great but just way too long to bake.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying it rested in the oven?
Yes I let it sit in the oven, but the oven door was open and temp was brought down to just slightly above room temperature.

I was trying to see if I can keep the crust a little warm as well, as I remember that's how they serve it.

But now that I think about it, restaurants must have cooked it another way, because the ones I had (House of Prime Rib in San Francisco), their "crust" is wet and soft, not dry and hard like with this baking method. Maybe their cooking method allows them to keep the whole piece of meat warm inside and out...

Old 08-16-2019, 09:58 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,207,062 times
That looks gorgeous, OP. Good job!

Leftovers: slice a nice thick cut of meat. heat a heavy frying pan up smoking hot. Sprinkle some salt in the pan, drop the slice of meat in and sear on both sides to warm the meat. Microwave the leftover baked potatoes..

option 2: get a really nice loaf of artisan San Fransisco style sour dough bread and a good ripe avocado. Make a sandwich of cold thin sliced beef, avocado, and some good mayonnaise. This is nice with baked potato salad to use up the leftover potatoes. Also extra good with french fries.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:28 AM

Thank you for your help and encouragement. My last few rounds of prime rib roasting have been pretty successful. Guests loved them and could not have enough.

It's of course far from perfect. I want to now try to perfect it to the way I want it. Specifically, I want to tackle this one area: the pinkness.

My wife demands that the meat not be too pink (forget about red) because of the kids. She is potentially overly safety-conscious, but I comply. She would like the rib to be uniformly light pink.

I put together a comparison between my homemade prime rib, and that from House of Prime Rib of SF, a very famous rib place. I know the pro's looks better on many fronts -- the meat looks more intact and bouncy, and looks more juicy (but mine did not yet have au jus poured on it). If you just focus on the pinkness of the meat, the pro's is uniform across the core; while mine had patches in the center that is darker pink and an outer ring that is lighter pink.

I bet many will say it's not big deal/that's not even close to being red, but wife wants it. So, what can be done to achieve the pro's result?

Attachment 219120

Just to refresh, I used the method of 500F for 5 minutes per pound, then 2 hours with oven turned off. (I later found that my Viking stove leaks heat, so I am going back to the consistent low-heat method; but that's another topic for another day.)

Old 04-03-2020, 09:20 AM

Anyone has good and simple/idiot-proof instruction for prime rib?-prime-rib-compare.jpg

Old 04-03-2020, 11:47 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,470,921 times
I use Kenji's reverse-sear method, and there is no brown at all - it is perfectly pink through and through each time.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:34 AM

19,972 posts, read 30,281,618 times
Simple

Preheat oven at 350

Season roast salt pepper garlic
Bring roast to room temp

Place in oven ( if none in. Bone side down) uncovered
Roast 15-18 mins per pound check internal temp
Remove at 126/128 f. And let set on counter for 20 minutes

This is for medium rare the roast will continue to cook on counter
At no time do you cover roast with tinfoil

Usually figure 1/2 lb servings for boneless and
1lb per person bone in ( weight of roast)

If ordering from a favorite butcher shop or store
Call and special order roast - if none in ask them to “ bone & tie” for easier carving
They will separate the bone off and tie back on
You will get the flavor of the bone when cooking
But once done cooking just cut the string/ twine
And lift off bones and slice

The more rare slices will be towards the middle
Of the roast

Top three beef grades are prime choice and select
Choice will be much less expensive than prime yet
Still very good

Even tho most call a rib eye roast prime rib - most are sold choice grade

A standing rib roast is also a bone in rib eye
Roast

I have sold thousands of rib roasts - the quick sear and back the temp
Off became popular 15-20 yrs ago
If you want something simple I don’t recommend this - not all ovens cook
The same. And it’s an expensive roast to experiment with
I’ve had many ladies coming back to complain when I use to recommend
The high sear at first

Old 04-06-2020, 08:44 AM

14,569 posts, read 23,100,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Several years ago I was in the same shoes. Had no idea how to do it, and didn't want to ruin $50 worth of beef.

Someone on CD Food suggested this link - worked perfect from the first go. The linked recipe for Yorkshire pudding was the same - perfect from the first time.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ef-recipe.html

ETA - here is the thread from a few years ago, several people posted good ideas here:

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/foo...ne-ribeye.html
Glad to see someone already posted this. Reverse sear is the way to go.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:38 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,526,216 times
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Heavily pepper and rub the roast with sea salt.

Place the uncovered rib roast bone side down and leave it on for 5 minutes per pound. Then cut off the oven. Leave the roast uncovered in the oven for 2 hours.

Remove from the oven and slice--perfectly medium rare rib roast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes