Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 01:23 PM

17 posts, read 29,054 times

Advertisements

Whole Foods is the Walmart of Organic Grocery stores. I have yet to find a place with a Whole Foods that doesn't have a locally owned alternative that is (usually) cheaper.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:24 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Eating non-GMO foods is not bad for you, obviously, and there's a demand for them. Whole Foods is meeting the demand. If people want them who are you to say they shouldn't have them?
I'm not.

I am merely following the money that is behind the proposed GMO labeling laws, which call for labels on all processed foods made entirely or partially with genetic engineering. The natural foods industry is behind it, and stands to profit greatly from these new laws.

What is the value of labels that tell consumers something they already know, given that it is generally accepted that around 80 percent of all crops in the United States are grown with genetically engineered seeds? Why don't these concerned consumers mind that "conventional" produce doesn't have a label on it that says "produced through the use of pesticides."

Old 01-29-2015, 01:27 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I'm not.

I am merely following the money that is behind the proposed GMO labeling laws, which call for labels on all processed foods made entirely or partially with genetic engineering. The natural foods industry is behind it, and stands to profit greatly from these new laws.

What is the value of labels that tell consumers something they already know, given that it is generally accepted that around 80 percent of all crops in the United States are grown with genetically engineered seeds? Why don't these concerned consumers mind that "conventional" produce doesn't have a label on it that says "produced through the use of pesticides."
What's the value of putting nutrition labels on food when people generally know what's good and what's bad for them? What's the value of putting danger signs on electrical facilities/equipment when people generally know that electricity is dangerous?
Use your brain. Consumers have a right to be informed.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:33 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
What's the value of putting nutrition labels on food when people generally know what's good and what's bad for them? What's the value of putting danger signs on electrical facilities/equipment when people generally know that electricity is dangerous?
Thanks for answering.

What do you think about "conventional" produce not being required to have a label on it that says "produced through the use of pesticides"? Do you, as a consumer, want to have that extra piece of information? Would you advocate the labeling of conventional produce with such stickers?

Old 01-29-2015, 01:36 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:

Old 01-29-2015, 01:38 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Thanks for answering.

What do you think about "conventional" produce not being required to have a label on it that says "produced through the use of pesticides"? Do you, as a consumer, want to have that extra piece of information? Would you advocate the labeling of conventional produce with such stickers?
Yes. Many pesticides are dangerous and the American government gives pesticide-producers free reign. I would like to know what pesticides are used on the produce in my local grocery stores.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Yes. Many pesticides are dangerous and the American government gives pesticide-producers free reign. I would like to know what pesticides are used on the produce in my local grocery stores.
I'd rather have a disclaimer on the front of the store that states:

Warning: All products in this store, including the walls, shelving, and roof, exist as the result of some variation of chemical synthesis. Even the GMOs and organically grown, and yes even our fair trade hemp underpants in aisle 14.

At least there'd be some entertainment value to that.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Thanks for answering.

Actually, it is to many consumers. Fast Food places list calorie counts on their menu boards and many companies now list fat and calories per serving on the front packaging. Now if a consumer doesn't read that, then it is on them.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:22 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'd rather have a disclaimer on the front of the store that states:

Warning: All products in this store, including the walls, shelving, and roof, exist as the result of some variation of chemical synthesis. Even the GMOs and organically grown, and yes even our fair trade hemp underpants in aisle 14.

At least there'd be some entertainment value to that.

Hilarious! Best post so far. Two thumbs up.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 621 times
Trader Joe's doesn't promote it that much but they have a long-standing tradition to try to avoid carrying foods made with GMO ingredients. However if you care about GMO, opt for organic corn and soy products, especially, more than non-organic. Organic certification guidelines do not allow use of GMO ingredients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink