Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2020, 05:59 AM

24,601 posts, read 10,921,225 times

Advertisements

No and I will not join the panic. Where were the hoarders when measles and chicken pox broke out? Who stocked up because of flu season?
I got extra cat food yesterday as Chewy's had a flash sale. So no worries about the furries for two months. For humans there is generally a month worth of food plus some available including shelf milk and enough toilet paper to start a road side business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 06:00 AM

5,870 posts, read 11,934,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I haven't changed my shopping habits due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Neither have I, but boy howdy half of the rest of the city has. I went on a regular grocery run yesterday and needed frozen corn. The entire frozen vegetable section was wiped clean. I didn't even attempt the TP aisle since we still have at least 2 weeks worth left. Thankfully they hadn't wiped out the cat food since I have a really picky eater he needs his variety of Fancy Feast pate.

I don't really understand why people are stockpiling food. Like elnina, I have a very well stocked pantry and freezer but that's just par for the course for us. We live in an area where we can get Amazon and same day grocery delivery so even if we couldn't go out of the house we could still get groceries.

I really don't understand it.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
This is not about paranoia. It's smart prepping so you don't have to be around crowds much. Please do research before saying silly stuff. This has nothing to do with the flu. It's 10x worst than the flu and people are stocking up so they are prepared if the stores close or if they get sick, they don't pass it on....
----
To answer the OP- nope not yet if ever...
Nope, it is panic buying. As a friend said yesterday, most of us already have enough food to last a month if we really take a good look at our pantries and freezers. I doubt any of us are going to starve. We were in Sam's yesterday: ONG, it was a mad house: plain crazy!!!

I had a doctor's appointment with my PC a few days ago; she said, we are way over playing this. Yesterday my husband had a appointment as well with his doctor: same thing: he said we all need to be sensible but we do not need to go into panic mode.

Believe it or not, most of us have done our homework and research. Of course it depends on what and where you get your information as to how much you should take as fact and how much is slanted.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:05 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
I have more food and paper products in the house than usual so that I don't have to shop often.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _jbub88_ View Post
I have a months worth of meat, rice, TP, wipes, canned goods, vodka, whiskey and cigars.
But you need more wine if you are going to have me over. The heck with the whiskey

Old 03-13-2020, 06:07 AM

4,961 posts, read 3,320,683 times
The S/O does the grocery shopping once a week as I am homebound due to illness.
Kitchens in EU are not that big so a weeks worth of groceries for 2 to 3 persons is what I usually have. DD is overseas at study. Last weeks added some extras build up to few days extra. The S/O always say will be plenty of food in shops always. Now that more and more EU countries are placing rules for CV run on the grocery shops started slowly. The last week were some bare shelves he said. This week grocery shops are stripped bare and yes also TP sold out. Masks, hand sanitizers stolen at hospitals.
Apparently someone said countries in EU have enough food no need to buy extra.
Well here in EU people think why say that must be code for no food. Via social media people telling each other where there is still TP etc complete mayhem.......people taking things out of others carts when person does not notice whilst turned around to get item.
Is not only food I ordered pharmacy/OTC online from other EU country that delivers in other EU countries my local online shop had 0 paracetamol 0 vitamin D all sold out.
My pharmacy RX meds got replacements as my usual where again out of stock.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:42 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,209,661 times
No, I am not prepared and I'm still not panicking. Yesterday, a friend of a friend called in their weekly on-line grocery list to a Super Wally-World and was called back and told the shelves were empty!!

Old 03-13-2020, 09:16 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
No, not in particular. I do have a well stocked pantry and the freezer but that's my habit for decades now.
Not planning to do anything different...

Eating little less might do many people good

I love this logic!

Old 03-13-2020, 09:24 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Nope, but I have a full freezer and paranoia goes against my personality regardless of its source/reason. I consider one of my best personality traits is being pragmatic.

The ONLY thing I made an effort to buy was cough medicine and Halls Menthol cough drops because I'm on the tail end of a regular cold that I got 3 weeks ago. And yes, the shelves were bare, but God Bless Amazon.

We went to the movies yesterday and we were pleased to see other people in the place. Afterwards, we went to the bar at the Country Club. We're going out to dinner tomorrow. Supporting businesses that are at risk is something we are trying to do. My prediction is the worst fall out from this media assault will be the losses from the stock market and small businesses closing because they didn't have the financial reserves to ride it out. And prices rising for certain items because we won't be getting them out of China for awhile.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:09 AM

1,299 posts, read 824,203 times
I'm trying to keep my regular shopping pattern. But this morning when I showed up for my weekly shop at my regular store at the regular time, when it's usually very quiet, it was insane. Like worse than the Saturday afternoon before Christmas busy. People had carts piled high with multiples of stuff.

I noticed was that while the toilet paper aisle and hand sanitizer section were stripped clean, the plain old soap shelves were normal. Yet the thing we're being asked to do as a first priority is to wash our hands more regularly. Hand sanitizer isn't nearly as effective as washing.

The lack of logic is bemusing. And a little frightening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink