Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 07:35 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

This is the second post I've done about stupid things I hear in the grocery store. The first one was the young woman who asked if they had "any of those special baking potatoes with the plastic on them". LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 07:36 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Not all the demo ladies are the sharpest tools in the shed. We were in a grocery store about 10 years ago and a lady was giving out samples of macadamia nuts. She asked us if we would like to try some Macedonia nuts!
To this day, in our house, they are referred to as Macedonia nuts.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:22 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
We walked into a Sam's a few months ago and a young demo girl was hocking
Face products. I asked her a SIMPLE question. She could not answer it.
It was some anti aging, acne reducing, smoother looking face shtick.
When I asked her what anti aging elements are in the product, she didn't even try to throw some names out. "Uh, I really don't know". Plus her face looked like a cheese pizza!
Then...
Walked by a demo lady hocking a chicken product.. I bought the bag because the lady was very knowledgeable about her product. She gave me pointers on how to serve the product, compared the taste to others, knew all the ingredients in the bag, and she just
carried her self nicely.
The funny part was when I asked what parts of the chicken are in this product. She said, "well the bag says Breast Meat, but I'm pretty sure they threw some thighs, wings, backs. Wait! Do chickens have backs? I'm just kidding, the package says Breasts, so breasts it is, never mind me I'm just in a good mood today!"
That sealed the deal for me.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:57 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Not all the demo ladies are the sharpest tools in the shed. We were in a grocery store about 10 years ago and a lady was giving out samples of macadamia nuts. She asked us if we would like to try some Macedonia nuts!
To this day, in our house, they are referred to as Macedonia nuts.
LOL. It reminds me of the waitress who told us the veg of the day was a melody of vegetables.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:02 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
My kids are in their 20s now, but I remember using the canned powdered Similac formula in the mid to late 80s and the can cautioned you not to feed it to the baby without adding water. There are people really stupid enough to do that if not instructed otherwise?

Old 12-12-2012, 02:51 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Then...
Walked by a demo lady hocking a chicken product.. I bought the bag because the lady was very knowledgeable about her product. She gave me pointers on how to serve the product, compared the taste to others, knew all the ingredients in the bag, and she just
carried her self nicely.
The funny part was when I asked what parts of the chicken are in this product. She said, "well the bag says Breast Meat, but I'm pretty sure they threw some thighs, wings, backs. Wait! Do chickens have backs? I'm just kidding, the package says Breasts, so breasts it is, never mind me I'm just in a good mood today!"
That sealed the deal for me.
Like what they always said: The pretty ones are usually the crazy ones.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:42 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
The printed warning label that really gets me: don't place your infant head down in a bucket of water. Seriously? You have to tell people that?

Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I was at Sam's Club today, getting a ham for Christmas. I was brousing around and picked up a bag of frozen scallops. The warning on the bag said, "Contains shellfish." This made me laugh.

It just so happens that a "Food Sample Lady" (I don't know what their pc title is, but I have noticed online that they might make $15.00 and hour), was nearby and I said (feeling the need to explain why I was laughing with nobody else around) "this bag of scallops says, 'contains shellfish'". Her reply was, " It does? I didn't know that."

Lord, give me strength. I am sitting here by myself, and still laughing my head off.
This may shock you but not everybody knows everything. I wouldn't know a scallop if I met one. It just has never been part of my education. My husband is very allergic to shellfish, so I would appreciate that the warning is on the package. Why would this be so funny to you. Bet I know things you don't know too. Not that I would probably ever buy a bag of scallops. When it comes to fish or sea food I prefer trout, flounder, tilapia, salmon, period. I used to eat shrimp but I started thinking of them as ocean grub worms. That totally turned me off. I can't even stand the thoughts of eating one any more.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 PM

306 posts, read 758,350 times
I remember a story I read in the 70s where someone purchased the "new" Lemon scent Joy dishwashing detergent. They actually thought it was lemon juice for edible purposes...no lie!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:12 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
LOL. It reminds me of the waitress who told us the veg of the day was a melody of vegetables.
Dessert is a symphony of carbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink