Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2019, 06:19 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times

Advertisements

The blue tea is beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 08:31 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,034 times
Default Anyone else throw out food given as a gift?

Unless it’s store bought I throw it out! I don’t know what is in it or how old.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
You should perhaps tell your friends about your phobia so they don't spend time and love making something for you that you will discard.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:41 PM

No, because only people who I know well have given me food. The neighbor made lasagna for me when my husband died. I don't think that she was trying to poison me.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:41 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
I agree with THS - please let your family and friends know not to waste their time and effort.

I graciously accept any gift someone chooses to give me. What a sincere way to communicate closeness. I bake trays of a variety of Christmas cookies for my neighbors every year. They don't seem to be upset when I come by with the treats, but now I wonder if they are just dumping them in the garbage, based on this thread.

The only food I can remember avoiding was from a woman I worked with based on the fact that I saw her skip hand washing after using the restroom. The cookies she baked weren't exactly a gift, they were brought in for a potluck, but I chose not to take one.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:46 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,208,401 times
Yes, I generally do throw it out. But I have some digestive issues so it is better for me to stick to what works. Whether it is made at home or purchased makes no difference.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:51 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
No, I can't think when I have ever done that. I suppose if someone I barely knew gave me food as a gift I might connsider it but generally those giving food as a gift are pretty close friends. I also give food as a gift. As others have mentioned I would definitely like to know if someone has a policy of throwing out food if it is given as a gift. To me sharing food hads always been the universal welcome message; it's perhaps both sad and unsurprising that it can be seen as suspicious now.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:13 PM

14,317 posts, read 11,708,830 times
This thread makes me sad. I've had students bring me treats, church folks bring casseroles when I had surgery, neighbors drop by with homemade cookies when we moved into a new house. The idea of throwing the food out because I "didn't know where it came from" never crossed my mind. And it's all backwards that storebought food is now considered healthier than homemade food.

If I had allergies or a very sensitive digestive tract I would try to refuse the food graciously ("This looks wonderful, and I'm so sorry I won't be able to accept it because I have some difficult dietary restrictions") so that at least the giver could give it to someone else. Taking it and then throwing it in the trash, how awful.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Unless it’s store bought I throw it out! I don’t know what is in it or how old.
You do this when friends and family give you food?

I could see it if it was an acquaintance, but for me, I trust my friends and family enough not to want to throw the things they’ve thoughtfully made for me away.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This thread makes me sad. I've had students bring me treats, church folks bring casseroles when I had surgery, neighbors drop by with homemade cookies when we moved into a new house. The idea of throwing the food out because I "didn't know where it came from" never crossed my mind. And it's all backwards that storebought food is now considered healthier than homemade food.

If I had allergies or a very sensitive digestive tract I would try to refuse the food graciously ("This looks wonderful, and I'm so sorry I won't be able to accept it because I have some difficult dietary restrictions") so that at least the giver could give it to someone else. Taking it and then throwing it in the trash, how awful.
It makes me sad, too. I have digestive issues, but if someone makes of bakes food for me, I'll at least try it. This is food that they would eat. It's their best effort because it's a gift.

Many decades ago when my mom worked for a doctor, we got many food gifts. She had his ear and made sure that people got what they needed. The cakes, cookies, pirogi, and wild mushrooms were fantastic.

My father would never eat the mushrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink