Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2019, 04:24 AM

1,198 posts, read 661,870 times

Advertisements

I've never been given food gifts from anyone I didn't know well. I've had coworkers offer food but I usually turn it down.

Years ago I was deep in an eating disorder, and my then alive Grandma would mail me a box of expensive treats at Christmas. I remember once I chewed and spit out a box of expensive chocolates...the entire box. I won't go into any more detail, but I did a lot of shameful things with wasting food in those days. Sometimes I would pour bleach on food items and throw them in the trash to prevent myself from eating them.

Nowadays if someone DOES give me something I cant or won't eat, I re gift it, but it is extremely rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 05:10 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,190,016 times
When I was in 1st grade, I was walking to school with a friend when we came across a box of Ho Ho's in the street that had been run over. And by "run over", I mean it even had a tire track on it. Thinking they would be delicious, but already running late for school, we stuck it behind someone's AC unit.

After school, we went back and ate those Ho Ho's. Every last one. Of course, I was 7 years old, so perhaps my judgment was off.

Last edited by Beretta; 12-30-2019 at 06:02 AM..

Old 11-14-2019, 05:21 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
No never.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
YOU THROW OUT RICE KRISPY TREATS???????

I'll give you my address.
cant rep you again: I am the same and anyone who doesn't want the fudge< I will take that as well.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It depends. I don't get a lot of home cooked gifts, and that's probably for the best. I work with a woman who makes her own jams and jellies, and I've enjoyed them in the past, but recently she gave me a jar of peach butter, and the seal was bad. I tossed it. I have a friend who makes assorted holiday cookies every year, and always sends a tray over. The cookies are fine, we just don't eat a lot of sweets, so after a couple of days the rest get thrown out. The woman who makes homemade Baileys? Yes please!

I appreciate the gestures, and would never want anyone to think they weren't enjoyed. Some are, some aren't.
That is something totally different when the seal is not secure, BTW it probably would not have hurt you as canned fruits and jams are different than many home canned products, but I would have done the same thing. I think OP is referring to anything that is given,not something that, obviously may not be safe. I also imagine OP is a bit shocked to learn most people do not throw food gifts away.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:45 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Right, who is getting food gifts from strangers?
Brand new neighbors? Goodie bags from co-workers you don't know well? People in the service industry who receive well meaning gifts from customers? (that last one is nice during growing season though, I love getting the fresh veggies brought from their gardens, lol!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My ex wouldn't eat the mushrooms I brought him as a peace offering. I picked them in the woods, specially just for him.

I was so hurt.
By any chance have you seen the movie 'Beguiled' with Clint Eastwood?

Old 11-14-2019, 06:49 AM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Brand new neighbors? Goodie bags from co-workers you don't know well? People in the service industry who receive well meaning gifts from customers? (that last one is nice during growing season though, I love getting the fresh veggies brought from their gardens, lol!)

By any chance have you seen the movie 'Beguiled' with Clint Eastwood?
No! I will look it up, though.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
"Don't take candy from strangers" is not about a fear of poison in candy. It is about trying to protect children from being lured into cars with dangerous pedophiles. Pedophiles use candy and puppies and other irresistible treats to coax children into their possession.

Do you know the percentages on children abducted by strangers? Of the hundreds of thousands of kids reported missing each year (most of whom aren't actually missing but just not where they were expected to be), approximately 115-125 are taken by strangers. That's less than one-thousandth of one percent. Who you REALLY need to worry about, if you're going to worry, is family, friends, and acquaintances.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:02 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyqueen801 View Post
my ex wouldn't eat the mushrooms i brought him as a peace offering. I picked them in the woods, specially just for him.

I was so hurt.
lol

Old 11-14-2019, 11:31 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
I will eat food gifts from people I know or re-gift if it is something I would never eat but I wouldn't throw it out. Now potlucks are a different story. I don't like to eat food from people I don't know because you never know if they keep a clean kitchen & practice basic cooking hygiene. When I'm cooking or baking my hands are washed constantly including under my nails with a brush. Thankfully my cat has shown no inclination to jump on my kitchen counters. I love animals but I hate seeing cats on people's counters knowing where their little paws have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink