Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2020, 04:18 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
We have a gas grill already that we like so would just be looking for a standalone smoker
The kettle smokes as well as the dedicated smoker unless you get a pellet smoker. I will still get another Weber to smoke with. Smoked chickens on the rotisserie. I can get a constant smoking temp for 12 hours with the Weber making pulled pork. A ring of charcoal briquets 2 wide and two high burning from only one end will burn and smoke very good. Lump charcoal will not work for the Ring of Fire slow smoking method. Now for company fun look at Lang 48" reverse flow stick burners with a warming box on the end above the fire box. If I had enough family and friends to so a monthly bash that is what I won't. One other suggestion is to look at the Weber vertical smoker on their website. Those win BBQ cook offs. Simple and economical. I've never been content with gas grills for he taste of it. Gave them all away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 05:19 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times
Quote:
We have a gas grill already that we like so would just be looking for a standalone smoker
I have a Horizon Classic off-set pit, but I only use it if I can fill it up. The fuel burns the same whether it is full or not (I use splits of pecan or oak mostly). My go to smoker is a large Big Green Egg. It uses charcoal with chunks or 1/2 splits of wood mixed in. They are not cheap, but it is the best piece of outdoor cooking equipment I have ever owned. You can do low and slow smoking/cooking, makes a great reverse searing tool or you can crank it up to 900F for pizza. I have done several cooks on one load of fuel. It is as close to set it and forget it I have ever seen. There are other, cheaper versions of this style cooker out there, but I have learned from experience that cheaper can be more expensive. I purchased several home improvement store, bolt together smokers (3) that fell apart because they were made with thin steel. The Horizon is solidly welded and made of 1/4" steel. I'll be passing along both the BGE and Horizon.

Unless you live in Georgia, Beside Lang's being in the middle range cost wise, the shipping is gonna be pretty steep, unless you make a road trip. Horizon smokers are available at Bass Pro Stores and BGE has dealers around, I have 4 within a few miles of my home.

Last edited by Dogboa; 01-08-2020 at 06:28 AM..

Old 01-11-2020, 06:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
I am thinking of getting a smoker for the house. Any suggestions on which one? Don't need anything too big. Only two people
We have a Weber electric smoker which we can use inside of outside. WE love it, but when it comes to pulled pork if done correctly I think it is just as good cooked in the pressure cooker or one the stove, if you want to cook it for hours. I am about to take a butt out of the freezer in the next day or two and smoke it.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:43 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll start doing my research. I have no idea of what I'm doing, lol. But my dad used to smoke meats when I was younger and I loved the smells!

Old 01-11-2020, 07:02 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
This is going to be my next smoker grill I think.

It is very similar to what I'm using now and I like the arrangement for multi level and food cooking. I've got a nice Boston butt heading into my Kamado tomorrow. For the deep pink smoke ring I'm using apple wood. This is what I like to see when I'm all done. I've tried this with gas and a wood chip smoking tray but just never succeded like I have with the low and slow method. I know some like to use a crock pot and apple juice which I think is a good alternative when the weather is bad for days on end. My solution is now to cook two at a time and freeze one in a vacuum sealer for a later date. That special grilled outdoors flavor has me spoiled with at my age I'm allowed. We can pull an entire butt apart with two forks in no time when they are fall apart tender.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:23 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times
I've been looking hard and long at a Pitbarrel Cooker. I make quite a bit of sausage, but for smoking I have to lay the sausage on the cooking chamber grates of my smokers and have to flip them half way. This can be very messy. Most smoked sausages I've seen made are hung on racks while being smoked. With the Pitbarrel I would be able to hang the sausages to smoke.

https://pitbarrelcooker.com/?gclid=C...oaAs-oEALw_wcB

Old 01-15-2020, 06:26 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Default What is it in an old TV show that tells you that you are looking at an old grocery store?

I was watching Barnaby Jones, "Sunday: Doomsday" and Betty comes out of the grocery store and you just know it is a store of decades past. Was it a shopping cart full of paper bags?

Or The Streets of San Francisco "Act of Duty" where they are doing a stake out in a grocery store and there is something different from now.....is it that there is more room, then, between aisles?

With something like "Scorpio". it is easy to see such as the baskets that would run on the wheeled trolley out in front of the store.

Have grocery stores changed that much over the decades so we know or is there something a bit more hidden.....that our trained minds pick up on?

Old 01-15-2020, 06:47 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Big storefront windows. Smaller stores. Shorter aisles, height-wise. Nowadays a standard convenience store is about the half the size of an old grocery store.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:52 PM

1,156 posts, read 941,766 times
Windows! Why we like these cement near windowless boxes these days is a mystery. Also, shoppers look like they're dressed for a job interview instead of pajama pants and fuzzy animal slippers with a designer purse. Probably some smoking going on, would have to double check that. Signs are usually cheesy looking as well. Obviously if they go through checkout with someone keying in the prices it's a total giveaway.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:06 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times
Signs in the window with prices. Grapes 9 cents per pound, etc.
Pyramids of canned food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink