Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2019, 11:56 AM

1,517 posts, read 991,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801
YOU THROW OUT RICE KRiSPY TREATS?
Re-read the second and fourth sentences in my first paragraph.

Possibly as a result of my being about 90% English my cooking has been described by various sources as "barbaric", so that also relieves me of the burden of having to cook for gifts, work potlucks and such. Hell has been described as where the police are German, the politicians are North Korean and the chefs are British.

Last edited by Ttark; 11-14-2019 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 01:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I will eat food gifts from people I know or re-gift if it is something I would never eat but I wouldn't throw it out. Now potlucks are a different story. I don't like to eat food from people I don't know because you never know if they keep a clean kitchen & practice basic cooking hygiene. When I'm cooking or baking my hands are washed constantly including under my nails with a brush. Thankfully my cat has shown no inclination to jump on my kitchen counters. I love animals but I hate seeing cats on people's counters knowing where their little paws have been.
Not wanting to eat food that may have been walked on by cats is one thing, but even pot lucks,most of us know which homes are clean even if not spotless. I know when I attend a pot luck at someone's house or at church I usually know the people well enough to be able to judge how clean their kitchen is. I do not get all hung up over people being spotless about their kitchens and I doubt I have ever gotten sick from someone's somewhat dirty kitchen. Years ago we never worried about these things.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:12 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Not wanting to eat food that may have been walked on by cats is one thing, but even pot lucks,most of us know which homes are clean even if not spotless. I know when I attend a pot luck at someone's house or at church I usually know the people well enough to be able to judge how clean their kitchen is. I do not get all hung up over people being spotless about their kitchens and I doubt I have ever gotten sick from someone's somewhat dirty kitchen. Years ago we never worried about these things.
I doubt that holds true for all of us. Plenty of co-workers I don't know all that well, willing to bet that not all of them have kitchen habits I'd be willing to risk food poisoning over.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:24 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Isn't better just to say - no, thank you - I am on a diet, or I can't eat that or just take it and re-gift. Throwing out stuff that is perfectly good for human consumption is a sin, in my eyes. There are other people in need... You could make some homeless person a day. You could give it to a neighbor kid. Bring to a veteran club, nursing home...
There ARE options other than waste it.
Nobody wants sugary stuff, candy. Almost everyone I know would turn it down. They're either on a diet, or they are diabetic. But I don't see this peanut brittle, fudge, etc as real food; it has too much sugar in it to be healthy for human consumption.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:59 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
I received homemade peanut brittle from a friend last Christmas - LOVED it!!!

Old 11-14-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I doubt that holds true for all of us. Plenty of co-workers I don't know all that well, willing to bet that not all of them have kitchen habits I'd be willing to risk food poisoning over.
I think we are all aware of this but most food poisoning comes from reasons other than a really dirty kitchen and most of us can pretty well judge what kind of a kitchen food comes from just by paying attention to the person. Of course we all know food poisoning often can come from restaurants as well.In fact more cases probably come from food purchased. If you choose not to take part in a pot luck for any reason that is your choice, I just think some people are a bit overly concerns about germs and spoiled foods.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Nobody wants sugary stuff, candy. Almost everyone I know would turn it down. They're either on a diet, or they are diabetic. But I don't see this peanut brittle, fudge, etc as real food; it has too much sugar in it to be healthy for human consumption.
I have problems understanding an occasional piece of candy at the holiday season would hurt anyone unless they are diabetic or on a special diet. CAll it make believe candy or whatever I still think it is rude to toss a gift someone has given you.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:14 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Wow, guess I will think twice about putting the time, effort and money into expensive ingredients for the chocolate chip and nut/brickle butter cookies I've made as gifts for the people I want to thank for their service over the year, and those I care about.

At least they've always acted as though they were enthusiastic about getting those cookies, and even sampled them before they left, claiming how good they were, before they got home and tossed them.

If I knew someone would do that I'd not bother.

Last edited by Travelassie; 11-14-2019 at 03:36 PM..

Old 11-14-2019, 06:59 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have problems understanding an occasional piece of candy at the holiday season would hurt anyone unless they are diabetic or on a special diet. CAll it make believe candy or whatever I still think it is rude to toss a gift someone has given you.
How would it be rude unless I tell them I tossed it out? How weird. No, it's not rude at all. It's mine so I can toss it if I want to. In the privacy of my home, I can do whatever I want.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:43 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That’s obviously not true. Give it away at somebody’s office kitchen if you don’t want it. Lots of people love homemade treats, whether daily or as an occasional indulgence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink