Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 08:10 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times

Advertisements

We just talked about this at breakfast today. I think we settled on lamb chops and asparagus. I'll probably cook DH a baked potato and I think I'll do a low carb cheesecake. Honestly the only thing different about Valentine's dinner for us is that I'll splurge on something more expensive we don't normally buy - like the lamb chops or lobster, yum! Come to think of it, I may even do some kind of crab appetizer since DH loves crab too and it's normally pretty expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 08:19 AM

20 posts, read 8,777 times
We either get take out Chinese food, or make T-bone steaks at home with fried shrimp and asparagus, brussels sprouts, and/or green beans. My wife likes my pineapple raisin carrot cake, so I will probably make one of those.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:13 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Ooh, that carrot cake sounds good. A hint of spring on the way.

I love these mouth-watering threads.

My daughter's birthday is two days before Valentine's Day so until she got old enough to express a preference most of her parties had a Valentine's theme. I used to make a filled angel food cake for her with crushed pineapple, strawberries and pink whipped cream. For her school treats I'd send pink frosted cupcakes decorated with red jelly hearts.

I've been thinking about my menu trying to balance out spectacular food that says "I love you" with the least amount of time in the kitchen. My "scullery maid for love" days are few and far between now.

At present I think I'm going with shrimp and scallop Alfredo with fresh lemon, a citrussy green salad with pistachios and a pomegranate dessert. Something light. Probably an icebox cake or panna cotta. Maybe I'll pick up some brown and serve rolls or croissants.

I taught Bachelor Son how to make fettucine Alfredo this winter and he was surprised how quick and easy it was. (Ulterior motive: You could invite a date over and impress her. LOL)

Old 02-07-2020, 10:42 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We rarely do anything special but our favorite Mexican restaurant is having a special: steak and shrimp fajitas, and a 16 oz Margarita for just $32 a couple. We will go early to miss the crowds, but can't resist the deal..
Enjoy!!! Spoil your brat!
I smuggle a card or something into SO's lunchbox - just for giggles. He "falls for it" every year to humor me.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:47 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

I taught Bachelor Son how to make fettucine Alfredo this winter and he was surprised how quick and easy it was. (Ulterior motive: You could invite a date over and impress her. LOL)
I haven't had fettuccine Alfredo in AGES! He has my phone number, right?

Old 02-07-2020, 10:54 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Ooh, that carrot cake sounds good. A hint of spring on the way.

I love these mouth-watering threads.

My daughter's birthday is two days before Valentine's Day so until she got old enough to express a preference most of her parties had a Valentine's theme. I used to make a filled angel food cake for her with crushed pineapple, strawberries and pink whipped cream. For her school treats I'd send pink frosted cupcakes decorated with red jelly hearts.

I've been thinking about my menu trying to balance out spectacular food that says "I love you" with the least amount of time in the kitchen. My "scullery maid for love" days are few and far between now.

At present I think I'm going with shrimp and scallop Alfredo with fresh lemon, a citrussy green salad with pistachios and a pomegranate dessert. Something light. Probably an icebox cake or panna cotta. Maybe I'll pick up some brown and serve rolls or croissants.

Grrr - SO developed a sea food allergy in his old age. What is brown?
If he starts the sauce with cream cheese it will not break:>)

Old 02-07-2020, 11:00 AM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times
My youngest son was born on Valentines Day and I always bake him a heart shaped cake of his choice.I know we will get together for a traditional birthday Kaffeeklatsch on the weekend.
I am thinking to make Malai Kofta curry with basmati rice and cashew nuts.For dessert carrot pudding/Gajar ka halwa and a cup of Darjeeling tea.Later by the fireplace Glühwein.

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/malai-kofta/

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/ga...ajar-ka-halwa/

Old 02-07-2020, 11:45 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
sushi, lots of it.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:51 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
My youngest son was born on Valentines Day and I always bake him a heart shaped cake of his choice.I know we will get together for a traditional birthday Kaffeeklatsch on the weekend.
I am thinking to make Malai Kofta curry with basmati rice and cashew nuts.For dessert carrot pudding/Gajar ka halwa and a cup of Darjeeling tea.Later by the fireplace Glühwein.

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/malai-kofta/

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/ga...ajar-ka-halwa/
I want to gatecrash on Alms party, the food sounds so good Well, many of the meals sound wonderful, but I have a soft spot for a good curry.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:28 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
We know PJSaturn is fixing duck.

What about the rest of you? Do you have a traditional menu or special things you do on Valentine's Day? Or will you brave the crowds at the restaurants?

I'd love to hear your menus.
We are thinking about getting reservations at a Waffle House this year. My favorite restaurant.

https://atlanta.eater.com/2020/1/28/...-house-atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink