Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 05:22 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,245,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Sad to hear this news. When I lived in Southern California, I lived close to the first TJ’s, in Pasadena, and shopped there frequently. Glad that they are all over now.
wish they were all over. We still do not have one. The closest is in Tulsa which is a 2 hour drive. We are hoping this will change soon. They do have a new one in Little Rock but that is 4 hours away. as for the founder passing away: I could not pull up the story but as far as I knew, he passed away about 5 years ago. Something is not jiving here.

We also remember the first Trader Joes as we lived in Pasadena.

OK,I do remember the entire story now: first of all, Trader Joe's is not part of the parent company, Aldi's. They are owned by the same family, but 2 different arms of the family. Secondly, the original Trader Joes in Pasadena, was sold to the family in the late 70s which is correct but the store then was very different than after the family bought it. At one time it was more like a liquor store and deli.

If you read the history of the 2 stores it gets more confusing. I stand corrected it is part of the parent company but even that is confusing. Every time I read the story about the two stores I get more confused as the information keeps changing. I do know or it appears anyway both brothers died with in a few years of each other about 5 or so years ago.

Last edited by nmnita; 03-03-2020 at 05:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 11:13 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,857,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wish they were all over. We still do not have one. The closest is in Tulsa which is a 2 hour drive. We are hoping this will change soon. They do have a new one in Little Rock but that is 4 hours away. as for the founder passing away: I could not pull up the story but as far as I knew, he passed away about 5 years ago. Something is not jiving here.

We also remember the first Trader Joes as we lived in Pasadena.

OK,I do remember the entire story now: first of all, Trader Joe's is not part of the parent company, Aldi's. They are owned by the same family, but 2 different arms of the family. Secondly, the original Trader Joes in Pasadena, was sold to the family in the late 70s which is correct but the store then was very different than after the family bought it. At one time it was more like a liquor store and deli.

If you read the history of the 2 stores it gets more confusing. I stand corrected it is part of the parent company but even that is confusing. Every time I read the story about the two stores I get more confused as the information keeps changing. I do know or it appears anyway both brothers died with in a few years of each other about 5 or so years ago.
Trader Joe's has been part of the Aldi Nord family. Aldi Süd runs the Aldi stores in the US and all English-speaking countries who have Aldi stores.

The only countries with both Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd are the US and Germany.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Trader Joe's has been part of the Aldi Nord family. Aldi Süd runs the Aldi stores in the US and all English-speaking countries who have Aldi stores.

The only countries with both Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd are the US and Germany.
I guess it depends on where we get our information and when. I have spent years checking the background and trying to keep up as I am a huge Trader Joe's lover. Until recently all the bio info said though they are the same family, 2 different brothers owed the two companies. One being Aldi's and one being Trader Joe's This was even the reports back when Trader Joe's was purchased by the family. Now, if you read what is on the net, it appears the company was owned by the family with both arms under the same owner ship. It is a bit confusing to say the least. It wasn't many years ago then their was a reference to one brother (the one who owned TJs died) and shortly after that the one who owned Aldi's passed away. I guess this shows us we can't believe everything we read doesn't it? Regardless, I think we can all agree both companies are part of the same family. Technicality probably isn't really that important.

Old 03-08-2020, 02:03 PM

1,159 posts, read 629,511 times
He was old. People die. Cool that he lived in Pasadena though !

Old 03-08-2020, 02:08 PM

1,159 posts, read 629,511 times
But tjs does annoy the crap out of me though- the employees I swear a just lazy and dumb.
Every Christmas season I like to buy the chocolate tin treat, Jingle Jangle. But they always run out in multiple locations BEFORE Christmas! They say it's seasonal- yea it's not even Christmas yet!
Another time some dumb employee said apples were seasonal... No they are all the time dummies...
Obviously not the founder's fault but that place is overrated.

Old 03-08-2020, 03:52 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,906,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
But tjs does annoy the crap out of me though- the employees I swear a just lazy and dumb.
Every Christmas season I like to buy the chocolate tin treat, Jingle Jangle. But they always run out in multiple locations BEFORE Christmas! They say it's seasonal- yea it's not even Christmas yet!
Another time some dumb employee said apples were seasonal... No they are all the time dummies...
Obviously not the founder's fault but that place is overrated.
Apples most certainly are seasonal, usually available fresh from August to late fall. Anything else has been stored in cold storage and won't be nearly as good, texture- and taste-wise, as an in-season apple. Often they are imported from the southern hemisphere.

TJ's has a lot of seasonal items and many of them run out at the beginning of the season they are being sold for. If you want a holiday ham, you need to buy several weeks in advance, because it will likely be gone by the time the holiday rolls around.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-08-2020, 03:54 PM

131,965 posts, read 12,364,507 times
Quote:
I guess it depends on where we get our information and when. I have spent years checking the background and trying to keep up as I am a huge Trader Joe's lover. Until recently all the bio info said though they are the same family, 2 different brothers owed the two companies. One being Aldi's and one being Trader Joe's This was even the reports back when Trader Joe's was purchased by the family. Now, if you read what is on the net, it appears the company was owned by the family with both arms under the same owner ship. It is a bit confusing to say the least. It wasn't many years ago then their was a reference to one brother (the one who owned TJs died) and shortly after that the one who owned Aldi's passed away. I guess this shows us we can't believe everything we read doesn't it? Regardless, I think we can all agree both companies are part of the same family. Technicality probably isn't really that important.

Yes, but this thread is about the Original Joe, who founded TJs, not who owns it now. Joe Coulombe. In any case, I love TJs, get there every 6 weeks or two months.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Yes, but this thread is about the Original Joe, who founded TJs, not who owns it now. Joe Coulombe. In any case, I love TJs, get there every 6 weeks or two months.
You are right. The thread did get a bit off track as, for many I think the original founder is the same as the company today and think of TJs as being what we know. The original TJs was mainly a liquor and run in, run out type of store, not anything like the company is today. This is where the conflict seems to be coming from.

LilLisa: I am shocked to hear you say the workers are lazy, etc. I have always found just the opposite. The ones I talk with are always super helpful, very well informed and extremely friendly. It must depend on where you shop. I think one of them in St Louis one time fit the description of what you found.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:48 AM

68,404 posts, read 54,690,483 times
Quote:
You are right. The thread did get a bit off track as, for many I think the original founder is the same as the company today and think of TJs as being what we know. The original TJs was mainly a liquor and run in, run out type of store, not anything like the company is today. This is where the conflict seems to be coming from.

LilLisa: I am shocked to hear you say the workers are lazy, etc. I have always found just the opposite. The ones I talk with are always super helpful, very well informed and extremely friendly. It must depend on where you shop. I think one of them in St Louis one time fit the description of what you found.

Me too! I got to the point I try to avoid asking a worker if they have something and/or where it is, they usually drop whatever they're doing and lead the way to it. I hate to take someone away from what they're doing and would be happier if they'd simply tell where it is. Their customer service is the best.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:38 PM

131,965 posts, read 12,364,507 times
Quote:

ITA, I have asked help for locating an item, & they will walk me right to it, with a smile. The Hawaiian shirts give off a laid back vibe, but they do work hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink