Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it OK to break packaged long pasta (linguine, etc.) so it fits in the pan to prepare it?
No 27 30.34%
Yes 50 56.18%
It Depends 12 13.48%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 02:53 PM

2,337 posts, read 2,597,161 times

Advertisements

I only break it so it's easier to eat. Personal preference, not a matter of right or wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 03:10 PM

9,434 posts, read 14,386,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Never. Linguine is long for a reason. Put it in the pot and push it underwater. It's more difficult to eat when it's broken. Buy shells or if you want thin flat pieces buy thin egg noodles or fresh linguine that comes in nest form.
This.

I use a different size pot depending on how much linguine/spaghetti I am cooking, but in any case it softens enough after just a few seconds to push it all down and twirl it a bit.

Linguine is long for a reason.

Pasta to people of Italian food traditions as snow is to Eskimos, or something like that; each shape and texture has a name and special purpose.

But obviously there is no law against breaking linguine or spaghetti, so for those who don't perceive those differences in purpose, it ... well ... doesn't make a difference.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:23 PM

131,151 posts, read 12,260,400 times
I only buy short or small or stuff-able pasta. Eating those long strands is far too messy for me. I also refuse to eat spaghetti in public.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:26 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,704,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I have a friend of Italian heritage who visibly blanched when I broke packaged linguine (Barilla, etc.) so it would fit in the pan to prepare and then be easier to eat. I'll understand completely if that's a BIG no-no. Vote in the poll and feel free to explain your beliefs on this, completely judgment free! Thanks!
Yeah you don’t break pasta like that. Whassamatta withayou?

Old 03-05-2020, 04:05 PM

6,389 posts, read 4,265,771 times
My take is that it all depends on the specific dish your making.

In a zuppa di pesce you’re, your better off leaving it intact since it would be much more difficult to eat. In an egg frittata or a spinach pasta casserole you need to break it up first so it’s properly mixed.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:37 PM

89,436 posts, read 45,130,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I have a friend of Italian heritage who visibly blanched when I broke packaged linguine (Barilla, etc.) so it would fit in the pan to prepare and then be easier to eat. I'll understand completely if that's a BIG no-no. Vote in the poll and feel free to explain your beliefs on this, completely judgment free! Thanks!
Yeah you don’t break pasta like that. Whassamatta withayou?
Oh, believe me, I get it now.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:38 PM

11,126 posts, read 5,624,846 times
I used to use a 6-qt. pot to cook spaghetti and it was no trouble to put it in the boiling water whole. But now I use a 3-qt. pot, so I break it in two. I have no interest in cultural traditions, either from my own ancestors or those of anyone else. I'm sure that the things I put in the pot after the spaghetti is cooked, would be regarded unfavorably by anyone entrenched in Italian cuisine. Those things are canned tomatoes, sliced black olives, frozen peas, chopped celery and an onion, along with balsamic vinegar and served with nonfat, plain yogurt. But I'm doing the cooking and the eating, so what do I care?

By the way, I've found that whole-wheat pasta is best when cooked for 31 minutes. What is called "refined" pasta, that has valuable nutrients stripped away, probably takes less time. Another thing to be noted is that I no longer use Italian seasoning in my cooking. The herbs that are in the mint family (sage, oregano, rosemary, etc.) inhibit formation of platelets for the blood and reduce its ability to clot. Cranberries can do the same thing, if you eat them regularly.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:38 PM

76 posts, read 50,826 times
Yes, you can break it. And you can put ketchup on your hot dog too.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:41 PM

24,795 posts, read 11,200,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I only buy short or small or stuff-able pasta. Eating those long strands is far too messy for me. I also refuse to eat spaghetti in public.
Fork and spoon.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:48 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 16 days ago)

16,134 posts, read 21,271,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Fork and spoon.
This, you can't properly eat spaghetti if you break it.
However my answer was 'it depends', for me it depends on whether or not anyone else will know I broke my pasta in half. If i'm just preparing it for myself I'll break it so that I don't have to stand there stirring it down into the pot. Knowing that my ex-husband's Italian grandmother is watching with horror from the great beyond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink