Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it OK to break packaged long pasta (linguine, etc.) so it fits in the pan to prepare it?
No 27 30.34%
Yes 50 56.18%
It Depends 12 13.48%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 08:44 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I only buy short or small or stuff-able pasta. Eating those long strands is far too messy for me. I also refuse to eat spaghetti in public.
I too, like short, small or stuff-able pasta.
When I was growing up. there was no "Pasta". at least not for non-Italian Americans. There was
spaghetti, usually served with meatballs.

Now, with all of the various shapes and sizes of pasta, I have to say that I seldom make regular old school spaghetti. I just don't like the "mouth feel" (is that a term?) or the length and messiness. I also prefer angel hair pasta, which cooks so fast that breaking it is not an issue.

I do like linguini with sea food. To me the taste is better than old school spaghetti, and since I have a very large pot, I usually don't break it. I did when my children were young. because they tended to play with it, and make a mess.

Unlike evening sun, I have no issues with eating it in public.

It seems restaurants do not break it, so, I am guessing that is the way it's supposed to be served.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 11:12 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,712,237 times
Those of you who like eating long noodles but wish they fit in the pot better can use Asian coiled-up thin noodles. They uncoil into strands as they cook. They work especially well in soups, but there’s no reason why you can’t cook them separately in water and then drain and sauce them.

With such a tremendous variety of shapes, lengths, thicknesses, diameter of tubes, and even ingredients (semolina or not for wheat, WW, white, rice, mixed-grains, etc) available, it’s not hard to find a suitable noodle. However, with traditional ragu, traditional semolina wheat Italian pasta tastes best to me, whether it is spaghetti, linguine, bucatini (my FAVORITE for this sauce), ziti, celentani, elbows, or whatever. Use what you like.

The one thing I absolutely insist on is this: Only AL DENTE!!!!

Old 03-08-2020, 01:17 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Who cares what anyone does with store bought noodles, or stale real pasta? Fresh pasta always fits in the pot.

Old 03-08-2020, 02:16 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,930,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah you don’t break pasta like that. Whassamatta withayou?
Joe Pesci, is that you?

Old 03-09-2020, 11:28 AM

1,154 posts, read 367,242 times
No, I don't break spaghetti or linguine when adding it to a pot of boiling water, but I do often break no-boil lasagna noodles to fit them into my pan more evenly.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:17 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,833,273 times
I’ve broken spaghetti or linguini in half before, but don’t normally.

Seems to me it would be harder to eat when broken, and messier, since you can’t twirl it as effectively. I’ve never had a problem twirling it, and we never used a spoon to help with that growing up. That’s cheating!

Old 03-09-2020, 12:26 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,423,370 times
Growing up, my mom did break the spaghetti, but that's not something I do. My dutch oven works perfectly for long pasta.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:16 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Who cares what anyone does with store bought noodles, or stale real pasta? Fresh pasta always fits in the pot.
Best answer. But if you are going to use dried, breaking it is frowned on by Italians, by which I mean inhabitants of Italy, rather than people of Italian heritage

Old 03-09-2020, 09:32 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,146,625 times
No! You just hold the pasta with one end in, for about a minute, and then it'll slide in. Or if you're lazy, just leave the part that sticks out, and it will slide in by itself.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:47 AM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
No! You just hold the pasta with one end in, for about a minute, and then it'll slide in. Or if you're lazy, just leave the part that sticks out, and it will slide in by itself.
That doesn't really work with a smaller saucepan, though. I've tried, and that's why I break it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink