Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Buffalo wings breaded or smooth?
Breaded and dipped in buffalo sauce 3 8.11%
Smooth and dipped in buffalo sauce 26 70.27%
Both are buffalo wings 4 10.81%
I consider neither of these as buffalo wings 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 04:00 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Tried my first air fryer wings this weekend. They really did turn out great and better than many resteraunts. Just as stated - no batter, make sure wings are dry, air-fry them about a half hour (turning over in the middle), dip in wing sauce (one I made sweet, the other one spicy), serve with carrots or celery and blue cheese.
Buffalo Wild Wings franchise by the way is just nasty.
There was one on the corner of the mall in the area where I parked my car to go to Planet Fitness (in the days long ago when you could go to a gym...) and I hated the smell of it. That whole part of the parking lot smelled like old rancid grease.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:24 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Yes, they're snack food and are so high in calories to be so small. There's not much on the meat on the bone. Another reason I found the high calorie count strange is because I doubt real butter is used in the recipe. Most of the time, margarine is substituted for butter since it's cheaper but also has less calories.
A lot of the calories actually come from the sauces. Thai Curry at BWW has about 150 more calories per small wing serving than Nashville Hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 09:42 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ding ding ding, so glad someone else feels this way. I can't stand breaded Buffalo wings. When they first became popular, nobody breaded them. Real Buffalo wings should not be breaded.

I have a local place near me that makes good original Buffalo wings. They make a variety of types of wings, including teriyaki and barbecue and a few others, and I think some of them are breaded, but they make the original ones the way they should be. Fried and then coated in butter and hot sauce.

Even Wiki knows THAT:

A Buffalo wing, in the cuisine of the United States, is an unbreaded chicken wing section (flat or drumette) that is generally deep-fried then coated or dipped in a sauce consisting of a vinegar-based cayenne pepper hot sauce and melted butter prior to serving

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_wing

ETA: Read through the thread and see that many people feel as strongly about this as I do.
I tried to rep you MightyQueen but was notified that I can't give the same person reps twice.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:49 PM

Default Sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
One of my favorite way to make wings at home is to roast them in a hot oven with my own dry rub of cayenne, ancho, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, and salt. So delicious! They also get nice and crispy with tender meat.

Margarine and butter have roughly same amount of calories, not enough of a difference to impact the calorie count. I do think that dairy can be a little irritating.
Hmm, I like the sound of the rub. I have all the seasonings except ancho, what is that?) and coriander. I can get coriander easily. I could have sworn when I last compared the calories of real butter to Parkay and Country Crock, there was a significant difference. I love both real butter and Country Crock but I wouldn't use a lot of either to make the buffalo sauce.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
That depends on where you purchase the chicken winds. If you head to Buffalo Wild Wing, the wings are timy. (Although when they opened up near my old home, I did notice that the pigeon population was soon under control.)

However, other chains like Wings Etc. have wings that are twice as large and quite excellent.

Equal amounts of butter and margarine have the same number of calories. They are both entirely fat.
About the butter, that's what Jade said as well. Now I'm can't remember what the big deal was for me to choose margarine over butter if they have the same amount of calories. Maybe at the time I'd read a health article against dairy. Trends come and go in food: anti-dairy, anti-wheat, anti-gluten, anti-meat, etc.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:16 PM

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of the calories actually come from the sauces. Thai Curry at BWW has about 150 more calories per small wing serving than Nashville Hot.
That's crazy!

Speaking of Nashville hot, about 3 years ago, KFC came out with Nashville Hot wings in the state that I lived at the time. I believe the wings were breaded but what stuck out to me was the sauce. It was so terrible. Apparently the worker hadn't shaken it up well or didn't know how the sauce should be served on wings.

The Nashville hot was some type of reddish sauce, think Frank's hot sauce but thicker, more clump-ish, and without the flavor. This sauce had separated from its base, which was apparently 2 table spoons of vegetable oil - maybe that was supposed to be butter? And yes, it was table spoons not teaspoons. As I held the container in one hand and use the other to take the lid off, gravity and motion caused the red clumpy sauce to roll downward off the wings in one direction while the vegetable oil had apparently already rolled in the opposite direction. The wings had been drenched in the grease-butter they were now basically floating in. I had no idea how to put the sauce's two components back together again on the wings. Grease was everywhere making my fingers slippery. Those wings...yuck!

Old 05-18-2020, 10:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Hmm, I like the sound of the rub. I have all the seasonings except ancho, what is that?) and coriander. I can get coriander easily. I could have sworn when I last compared the calories of real butter to Parkay and Country Crock, there was a significant difference. I love both real butter and Country Crock but I wouldn't use a lot of either to make the buffalo sauce.
Ancho is another ground chili it is a smoked one - but not very hot. Hotter than paprika, not as hot as cayenne! You can totally leave it out. I always have it at home so I throw it in. I did the same without it before, and just as delicious. I do like the coriander since it is sort of lemony.

Hmm I wonder if your Country Crock was whipped?

Old 05-18-2020, 10:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
That's crazy!

The Nashville hot was some type of reddish sauce, think Frank's hot sauce but thicker, more clump-ish, and without the flavor. This sauce had separated from its base, which was apparently 2 table spoons of vegetable oil - maybe that was supposed to be butter? And yes, it was table spoons not teaspoons. As I held the container in one hand and use the other to take the lid off, gravity and motion caused the red clumpy sauce to roll downward off the wings in one direction while the vegetable oil had apparently already rolled in the opposite direction. The wings had been drenched in the grease-butter they were now basically floating in. I had no idea how to put the sauce's two components back together again on the wings. Grease was everywhere making my fingers slippery. Those wings...yuck!
The Nashville Hot was directionally OK, apparently they actual inspiration is a chili oil. I did have some Nashville hot chicken from a Nashville chain in Vegas - it was yummy. But the oil to spices ratio was different. More spice, less oil. And the chicken was served on white bread to soak up the oil.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Tried my first air fryer wings this weekend. They really did turn out great and better than many resteraunts. Just as stated - no batter, make sure wings are dry, air-fry them about a half hour (turning over in the middle), dip in wing sauce (one I made sweet, the other one spicy), serve with carrots or celery and blue cheese.
Buffalo Wild Wings franchise by the way is just nasty.
I don't know if I would say Buffalo Wild wings are nasty, but certainly not me favorite and there is another chain that doesn't do much for me, but I can't think of the name.

For us, we like our own wings; we buy them frozen and pre cooked from one of the large chicken farms here. Then all I do is make my dressing and stick the wings in the air fryer for about 15 minutes at the most; probably closer to 10. Remember they are frozen when I start, so I have to heat them long enough to make sure they are heated all the way through. We are having them tonight as a matter of fact.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
That depends on where you purchase the chicken winds. If you head to Buffalo Wild Wing, the wings are timy. (Although when they opened up near my old home, I did notice that the pigeon population was soon under control.)

However, other chains like Wings Etc. have wings that are twice as large and quite excellent.

Equal amounts of butter and margarine have the same number of calories. They are both entirely fat.
The major chicken company we get ours from does have very small ones but they are tasty and very inexpensive.

as for butter versus margarine, you are right as usual, same calories and all fat, but still good. I do not use butter when we have them at home. I make my own sauce and we if we buy wings that are not previously cooked which we do, I still just toss them in the air fryer with nothing but spices and maybe some spray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink