Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your fave curry?
Indian 33 37.08%
Jamaican 8 8.99%
Thai 31 34.83%
Japanese 3 3.37%
Other, I'll post in the thread 14 15.73%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 07:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Tonight's dinner is chicken curry, and as I have gotten more exposure to different cuisines, I have come to realize there are so many different types!

So I want to know - what is your fave type?

I am going to stick with what I think are the most common styles, but there are so many more.

Growing up we always had more of a Jamaican take - using curry powder, dry spices, and the "sauce" would be little more than the drippings from the cooking, some tomato, and maybe a roux to thicken. My mom learned her recipe from a Caribbean friend.

When I went to Indian places, I found that most "curries" were a creamy base: yogurt, cream, or coconut milk. and the spice mix was different. Also more whole spices. These felt heavier than what I had growing up.

When I had Thai curries, they are made from a paste - the color comes from the ingredients, and the pastes have so many fresh herbs and other ingredients. Also the Thai curries seem to have way more veggies.

Then eventually I had Japanese curry. And this was way different. It seems there is a curry sauce, and it is sweet. And it is just served with whatever. The "meat" or base isn't cooked in the sauce, but topped with sauce. There are also more veggies.

Now when I make curry, I typically land with something between Indian and Jamaican. Some days I add coconut milk, some days I don't. Depends on my mood. Or if I added too many peppers. I also make Thai curries occasionally. I have made my own curry paste in the past, but I like the per-made pastes too. It is so much quicker than doing the braise way. I'll also use the paste in other ways, like in a meatball!

So what's your curry of choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 08:21 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I like both Indian & Thai. But I voted for Indian, because we have it more often.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:29 PM

14,311 posts, read 11,702,283 times
I haven't had the Jamaican curry, but I enjoy the other three. It's hard for me to pick one favorite, but I think I will have to go with Thai, because they are usually full of fresh vegetables which I enjoy.

Indian curries also can have vegetables, but they seem more thoroughly cooked (but still good).

Japanese curry is delicious but a bit heavy. When I had it in Japan, it was pretty spicy. I think you can get the premade mixes in various degrees of spicy or sweet.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:33 PM

23,536 posts, read 24,029,400 times
From the choices above, I’ve had Indian, Thai and Japanese curries.

I like “butter chicken†from Indian curries.

I like Thai green curry with chicken & potatoes, Thai beef Penang curry and finally, Thai Massaman curry, which is a Thai-Muslim curry and has a milder flavor than the other two Thai curries I like.

I enjoy Japanese curries also, as they are sweeter in taste, as Jade408 mentioned.

I’ve also had Malaysian and Singaporean style curry, but only a few times while in Singapore. Don’t have recollection of the taste.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:34 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
I guess Thai, but specifically yellow curry. Less spicy and maybe lighter. Because curry is very dense in flavor I really don't like it hot or heavy, if that makes sense. I otherwise feel like I'm really slogging through the dish as I'm eating it. I think curry ideas should be explored for appetizers or little bites by that token. Yeah, a nice light curry is what I'd order at a restaurant or cook for myself.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:57 PM

1,156 posts, read 941,458 times
I guess Thai but none of them are on the same continuum to me. If I'm in the mood for one, none of the others are a substitute.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:30 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Jamaican curry, which is pretty similar to (but yet distinctive) Indian curry.

I like Thai curry, but don't always care for the coconut milk in that curry.

Japanese curry I am not a big fan of as it is heavier since they add corn starch or flour to it.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:58 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times
Thai for me. I make my own red, yellow and Massaman pastes. I'm a big fan of coconut "milk".

Old 07-30-2020, 05:12 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Thai, for sure. Green curry is addictive. I tend to serve Massaman more often as more family member like it

Love Jamaican jerk seasoning. Haven't tasted the curries.

Like Indian butter chicken. Don't really care for the spices in other Indian curries.

Japanese curries are so so.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:17 AM

88 posts, read 53,820 times
I grew up on Golden curry, but recently switched to Vermont curry. Both can be found pretty much anywhere (on Amazon as a last resort). I get the hottest of either.

I also like Pataks Butter Chicken.

Purists might say these pre-made curries are nothing like making it from scratch, but I think they are just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink