Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:49 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times

Advertisements

Super speedy one....

Fresh Cherry Tomato Sauce

1/4 cup good olive oil
2 fat cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
Ilb small sweet cherry tomatoes, sliced into halves
1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
big bunch fresh basil, torn into shreds

Get the pasta going in boiling salted water. About 5 minutes before pasta is ready........

Heat the olive oil in a skillet, add garlic and cook at a gentle sizzle for 1 minute only. Do NOT let the garlic turn brown, not even golden.

Add the tomatoes, and the wine. Cook, stirring, for two minutes till all bubbling. Turn heat off.

Drain the pasta. My top tip - drain pasta fast then tip it back into the pan - leaving a little of the cooking water with it, otherwise it goes sticky.

Toss with the fresh tomato sauce and torn basil. Season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.

Parmesan cheese shavings on top is nice too, so is another drizzle of olive oil.

If you really need some meat with this, cook chicken strips in olive oil, or shrimp, salmon, ham.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 03:08 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Thanks so much! These sound great!!
I don`t know which one to try first...they all sound excellent! I`m glad that I posted on here first, rather than searching the net for one.

Last edited by yankeegirl313; 04-30-2008 at 03:25 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 03:20 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
I love making tomato sauces like this. My favourite is to make a basic sauce with onion/ tomatoes chopped/puree/ garlic and then add bacon and some chilli flakes. Honestly you can't get better than that. Not physically. It's just sooooo gorgeous.... oh - put it in lasagne - it''s better than sex.

Bacon may be THE universal ingredient, I have the feeling it'd probably even be good on ice cream, may have to try that soon

Is bacon in the UK smoked like an American style or cured like pancetta or?

Old 04-30-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Bacon may be THE universal ingredient, I have the feeling it'd probably even be good on ice cream, may have to try that soon
You wish is....

Egg & Bacon Ice Cream

YouTube - Egg and Bacon Ice Cream

recipe here A burst of flavour | Food & drink. | guardian.co.uk Shopping

Old 04-30-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Is bacon in the UK smoked like an American style or cured like pancetta or?
Bacon in the UK is not like US bacon at all - the slices are bigger, rounder, with more meat and less fat, and are often dry-cured (the best IMHO) and unsmoked, although smoked is popular too. We don't cook it for so long - just so the fatty edges get crispy, and the meat stays moist, mmmmmm.

Our cheap bacon is awful, full of added water - which is why dry-cure is better.

Our 'streaky bacon' is more like the US version, long rectanglar strips, fatty, and fried to a crisp!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:55 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,777,124 times
If i dont have time for homemade... the best "jar" sauce i've ever had is Trader Joe's, Organic Vodka Sauce. and only $2.99 a jar.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:07 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Bacon in the UK is not like US bacon at all - the slices are bigger, rounder, with more meat and less fat, and are often dry-cured (the best IMHO) and unsmoked, although smoked is popular too. We don't cook it for so long - just so the fatty edges get crispy, and the meat stays moist, mmmmmm.
Sounds something like we know here as 'Canadian Bacon'?

Thanks for the ice cream article. I'm actually thinking hot, salty, smoky, cumbled bacon on cold, creamy vanilla ice cream might be interesting

Old 04-30-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Yes I believe it is - haven't found it in the shops here yet tho...(Texas)

Quote:
Thanks for the ice cream article. I'm actually thinking hot, salty, smoky, cumbled bacon on cold, creamy vanilla ice cream might be interesting
Now that sounds strangely intriguing......

Old 05-01-2008, 05:19 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,491 times
Quote:
I put this on the dinner thread a coupla weeks ago, it was a basic ;clean out the fridge' effor but I was pleasantly surprised, I will make it again.

I sauteed chopped onion, garlic, pancetta, and an anchovy* filet in good olive oil, when the onions are just getting a little color and the pancetta's crispy add chopped, soaked in hot water sun-dried tomatoes and oil-cured black olives. If it's a little 'tight' add pasta cooking water. Chop the ingredients first thing and it's done while the pasta's cooking. Add the grated cheese of your choice and dinner's on

* Soak in a little milk first, many don't like anchovy but don't worry, it won't taste 'fishy'. It melts into the sauce and adds a nice 'earthy' undertone without being overwhelming.
That sounds nice - it's a bit like a puttanesca sauce isn't it? You may have inadvertently re-invented something that already exists! I like your variation though - I think you've improved on it!
Pasta Puttanesca (Tart's Spaghetti) from Delia Online

I was devastated last time I ordered penne puttanesca in a restaurant - there were lots of whole anchovies and I could taste them properly. I really hate fish, so I had to leave the rest of it.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:27 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post

Our cheap bacon is awful, full of added water - which is why dry-cure is better.

Our 'streaky bacon' is more like the US version, long rectanglar strips, fatty, and fried to a crisp!
Ah you see I wouldn't have been able to answer that... I'd have been going "well... it's bacon....er....."

Here's our bacon: http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/image/s_bacon.jpg (broken link)
Is this your bacon? http://www.spiralx.com/quiz/hotnot/images/bacon.jpg (broken link)

(The stuff you find when you google for bacon images! Lol...)

Quote:

So is your bacon thinner then, and cooked to the point where it's rigid? Some people like it more cooked than others, but I like it just done until it's not translucent any more (ie cooked!). I cut all the fat off as well.

I might have to make some of these sauces - some really good ideas here. I could live off pasta in tomato sauce, I swear I'd never get bored of it. And it's good for your skin! Espacially tomato puree/paste - it helps your skin defend against sun damage and can apparently actually reverse some damage too! So make sure you put some of that in as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink