Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 02:48 AM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
These are the typical responses I expected. Most modern people cannot mentally handle the thought of food that is not "sterile" and "sanitized." Heck, they can't even deal with "past the expiration date."

Cooking sour milk will kill any bacteria that is in it. Just like making bread with a sourdough starter. Does that creep everyone out, too? Did you notice that the Internet is full of tips for using sour milk, and they are posted by reputable cooking sites?

I'd invite you all to share a glass of my delicious homemade kombucha instead, but if you saw how it's made, you'd probably pass out.

Spoiled milk usually refers to pasteurized milk (the kind of milk you buy at the store) that smells and tastes off due to the growth of bacteria that survived the pasteurization process. Most of these bacteria aren’t considered health-promoting and could make you sick.

It's not a sour milk. It's spoiled milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 08:04 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You are confusing milk gone bad (bitterly sour and spoiled yucky) with milk past it's best date to use.
The article is about milk that is past its "expiration" date.

BTW: the milk you buy at the stores doesn't get sauer or turn to buttermilk, or you could make yogurt of it. No. It gets just yucky spoiled, because it was processed by pasteurization. Which means that all the good bacteria that could make the milk still delicious after it get "spoiled" was killed.
I even tried adding some live cultures (organic yogurt) to it, and it didn't work at all.
Your roots are showing.

My mother made yogurt by adding cultures to regular pasteurized milk and I have done the same, and it definitely works. You should be able to use any milk. More likely your cultures were not very active, or the temperature was wrong.

It's clear by this point that the idea that store milk immediately gets "yucky spoiled" and unusable is just an opinion. I've cooked with pasteurized milk that is at the "slightly too sour to drink" stage more than once and apparently so have others on this thread, and the results are delicious. Just the same as using buttermilk or milk soured with vinegar (I've done both of those, too). Don't knock it, till you've tried it.

Last edited by saibot; 09-22-2020 at 08:21 AM..

Old 09-22-2020, 04:31 PM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Your roots are showing.

My mother made yogurt by adding cultures to regular pasteurized milk and I have done the same, and it definitely works. You should be able to use any milk. More likely your cultures were not very active, or the temperature was wrong.

It's clear by this point that the idea that store milk immediately gets "yucky spoiled" and unusable is just an opinion. I've cooked with pasteurized milk that is at the "slightly too sour to drink" stage more than once and apparently so have others on this thread, and the results are delicious. Just the same as using buttermilk or milk soured with vinegar (I've done both of those, too). Don't knock it, till you've tried it.

I have done it for decades but it doesn't work anymore, at least for me..
I had a jar of White Mountain Bulgarian yogurt (with cultures).
https://images.heb.com/is/image/HEBGrocery/000404980

Ate 3/4 of the yogurt and added fresh store bought organic pasteurized milk to the rest. Same jar. (I don't buy that kind of milk to drink - only raw, but happen to have half gallon and no real use for it).
So, I stirred the yogurt with the milk, covered with cheese cloth and left on the kitchen counter.
After a couple of days thin layer of whey showed on the top, so I thought - the yogurt is ready.
It was the yogurt "consistency" but bitter and yucky. Inedible.

Note, that I use the same method with raw milk, and get yogurt, buttermilk and cheese every single time without any problems.

Did you notice that lately fresh milk from the stores has extended "expiration" date and stays fresh much longer than it used to?
Something changed in the processing and that's probably was the reason of my spoiled milk.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/food...resh-milk.html

Old 09-22-2020, 08:23 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I have done it for decades but it doesn't work anymore, at least for me..
I had a jar of White Mountain Bulgarian yogurt (with cultures).
https://images.heb.com/is/image/HEBGrocery/000404980

Ate 3/4 of the yogurt and added fresh store bought organic pasteurized milk to the rest. Same jar. (I don't buy that kind of milk to drink - only raw, but happen to have half gallon and no real use for it).
So, I stirred the yogurt with the milk, covered with cheese cloth and left on the kitchen counter.
After a couple of days thin layer of whey showed on the top, so I thought - the yogurt is ready.
It was the yogurt "consistency" but bitter and yucky. Inedible.

Note, that I use the same method with raw milk, and get yogurt, buttermilk and cheese every single time without any problems.

Did you notice that lately fresh milk from the stores has extended "expiration" date and stays fresh much longer than it used to?
Something changed in the processing and that's probably was the reason of my spoiled milk.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/food...resh-milk.html
That is not a reliable way to make yogurt. It comes closer to the way buttermilk can be cultured.

Yogurt culture most likes a 96 degree F temp, however, that is dicey since other bacteria also like it.

There is a positive shift of texture if you heat the milk to 160 F and then let it cool to 105 or so before adding any starter. I used to use a heating pad under a wire rack, with the yogurt mix in containers on that, covered with a tea towel. Now I use my sous vide stick and a pot at exactly 96. Works like a charm. I also add a little dry milk to create a yogurt between the runny stuff and Greek stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink