Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 05:59 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Not sure if this qualifies for this thread but I am not a fan of grass fed beef. It just has an off taste to it. I will only buy pasture raised from WF
Same here. We had a nice local farm that sold all grass fed meat, HUGE selection. I didn't like it. I WANTED to like it.

For the most part, I prefer prime grade from Costco. That's my favorite.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2021, 07:11 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
This ranch sends the cattle to the mid west to 'finish' their beef. Very cool ranch. https://www.deseretranches.com/

Old 01-24-2021, 08:29 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Same here. We had a nice local farm that sold all grass fed meat, HUGE selection. I didn't like it. I WANTED to like it.

For the most part, I prefer prime grade from Costco. That's my favorite.
That's because most grass fed meat are't "grass finished" meat. Big difference, which means many farms they let the cows eat grass occasionally but still fed them their corn meal. A real grass finished meat has very distinct flavor.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:40 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's because most grass fed meat are't "grass finished" meat. Big difference, which means many farms they let the cows eat grass occasionally but still fed them their corn meal. A real grass finished meat has very distinct flavor.
Not all grasses are the same.

Old 01-26-2021, 10:24 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What in your opinion is the best tasting breed of cattle? Lets take price out as a factor.

I did not know much about different cattle breeds, and the marbling. All I knew was Kobe/Wagyu has the best marbling. But then I learned there is another breed from Europe called Charolais that also have marbling on par with Kobe or it is said

https://www.timeout.com/bangkok/rest...yang-kham-beef

I heard of angus beef too, but I never knew why that prefix of Angus is significant. I cannot taste the difference. The supermarket and the restaurants dont tell you what type of breed their product is. I wish they did though. I wish supermarket labels had the breed listed. In all honesty, I also dont think Kobe/Wagyu is that great either. I dont taste the difference.

https://morningchores.com/cow-breeds/
I do like cattle, they are beautiful and magnificent creatures and I fully understand why they are sacred in the Hindu religion.

The Sanctity of the cow, in Hinduism, is the belief that the cow is representative of divine and natural beneficence and should therefore be protected and venerated.

Here's few traditional British and Irish breeds -

A guide to the native cattle breeds of Britain, from Aberdeen Angus to Jerseys - Country Life

Here's a list of the main British/Irish and Continental (European) breeds -

British and Continental Cattle Breeds

Old 01-26-2021, 12:19 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Not all grasses are the same.
True because the soil they grown on don't have the same properties. Which is why cattle from other countries like in AU or Brazil taste different than here.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:29 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Wagyu

Angus. Prime grade

For local grass finished
Limousine.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:07 PM

735 posts, read 452,724 times
I've started eating only Sun-Fed (grass-fed and grass-finished) beef (if home-made) since I found out I was pregnant with my kid. When I was in Maui, I found Wagyu steaks (also grass-fed and grass-finished), it's way better than any steaks I've had (using the same seasonings). I also found aged prime-ribs very tasty and juicy.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:54 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Mutton!

Old 02-27-2021, 07:44 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Adding this: my local market that sells certified Hereford, sells a rib eye that is aged for 5 weeks. That will show you what aging does for beef. That is one spectacular piece of beef ( and not cheap).

The really expensive steak houses are serving a very well aged steak. You know, the kind of meat you can't buy for yourself and you have to go and shell out the huge price at their restaurant in order to get one of theirs.
You can buy yourself, you really have to shop on line or have a quality butcher shop available and be willing to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink